A high-level programming language developed in 1995 by Sun Microsystems is Java. Java is supported by various platforms such as the Mac operating system, Windows operating system, different versions of Unix, etc. The source code in a java programming language is written in text files, and the text files end with the .java extension.
Then the java compiler compiles the source files into .class files. The .class files contain codes in bytecodes. This is because the machine language of the java virtual machine is bytecodes. The java launcher then runs the application with an instance of a java virtual machine. Java is a simple language, object-oriented and dynamic.
Necessity to learn Java
The main reasons to learn Java are:
1. Object-Oriented: Java is based on an object model and can be easily extended. Everything is an object in Java.
2. Platform independent: When the java compiler compiles the source code, the compilation is not done into a platform-specific machine like in other programming languages such as C, C++, etc. But it is compiled into bytecodes that are independent of the platform. Regardless of the platform java is being run on, the bytecode is interpreted by the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) after it is distributed over the web.
3. It is a simple language: Java programming language is designed in such a way that it is easy to learn.
4. Java is secure: Java programming language has a security feature through which tamper-free, virus-free systems are developed.
5. Java has a neutral architecture: The java compiler's object file format is architecture-neutral because the compiled code can be executed on many processors.
6. Java is portable: Java is architecture-neutral, and the specification does not contain implementation-dependent aspects, making java portable.
7. Java is robust: The compile-time errors and run-time errors are checked by Java to eliminate error-prone situations.
Applications of Java
The applications of Java are:
1. Java is a multithreaded programming language: Programs can be written to perform tasks simultaneously using a multithreaded feature in Java. The developers use a multithreaded feature of Java to construct interactive applications.
2. Java has interpreted language: The bytecode in Java is not stored anywhere and is translated into machine instructions. As a result, the linking is a lightweight and incremental process; hence the development process is faster and more analytical.
3. Java provides high performance: Java provides high performance because of the use of just-in-time compilers.
4. Java is distributed: The internet's distributed environment is supported by Java.
5. Java is dynamic: Java adapts to any environment, even if it's evolving. Hence it is dynamic compared to other programming languages like C, C++, etc.
Java program to print "This is a java program."
public class program
public static void main(String args)
System.out.println("This is a java program");
There are no prerequisites to learning Java, but a good understanding of computer programs and programming languages is necessary.
Beginners can refer to this tutorial to understand the basics of Java. Furthermore, this tutorial is helpful for people who want to pursue a career in Java. Finally, this tutorial is good learning for all other readers.