Web Developer vs Web Tester – These are the advanced times and we call it the age of technology. The world has become a global village and exactly so we are achieving one after the other milestones and exploring the new world of possibilities. The world dances to the tone of the letters on your keyboards. With the advent and advancement of internet everything you need is only a click away. Remember the times when the ideas of people across the world were never possibly known to you? Not just the ideas, the culture, the socio-economic set up of the world, the world politics were only limited to books and news-papers etc. and now we are living an entirely different life with everything available online. You want to know about the advancements in science, technology, the world literature, and information from all walks of life, all you have to do is sit in front of your computers, connect to the internet and you have the world at your finger-tips. But where does it all come from? The big question here is who puts up such huge information online? And how is it all done? These questions will be fairly dealt with in this article.
What is the web development?
Everything you see on the internet is put up on innumerable websites. But how are these websites created? Who is responsible for all the content that you see displayed on these websites? Who designs all those webpage layouts? Where do the features and designs on the websites come from? Who programs these websites to deliver the users to the exact piece of information they might be looking for?
All the above listed jobs are done by the professional Web Developers and Web Designers. But before we go on to what web developers do it is important to know what web development actually is. Web development is a broad term which includes working out all the technical features of a website. It includes everything from creating a website to maintaining it. The web development generates websites that are fully functional and user friendly. Web development is not a one-time process. After a website has been created it becomes important to keep it updated. Web development requires professional skills and abilities along with the proper technical skills and appropriate degrees.
Web Developer vs Web Tester Infographics
It is the job of a web developer to create a website and creating a website means designing the layout of the website, putting up the content on the websites as per the directions of the clients and as per the requirements of the users. Web developers don’t just build websites. There is a lot more that the web developers do and their job ranges from generating the layout and features of a website, understanding the graphic design and all the programming features of a website. They are also responsible for writing and editing the content of the websites and the complex process of building WordPress themes for websites. For being a web developer you also need to master certain professional skills and also you need to know a number of programming languages. And then there are the coding skills which you definitely need to remember in order to be a web developer.as a web developer you meet the client, discuss their needs and then accordingly you build up the website which caters to the needs of the client as well as to the needs of the users. If anything, a website must be user friendly that is what mostly helps generate traffic to the websites. The web developers work out all the technical requirements for making a website and keeping it updated. It is like growing a flower. In order for a flower to blossom you need to keep nurturing it by watering it, and taking due care of it till it blossoms into a mature flower. In a similar manner, a web developer first creates a website and then takes care of it by prioritising the tasks and updating the site time to time.
Technical requirements for a web developer
It might look like being a web developer is an easy job but it takes many things together to be a perfect web designer. You need at least a bachelor’s degree along with the required technical skills and knowledge about computer programming. You can also take up some online courses to learn about web development in order to be one. You must have the basic web development skills. The fundamentals of design imaging, multimedia programming, animation skills, basic web designs, content writing and editing, knowledge of databases etc. go into the making of the professional web developers.
The most important of all requirements is to have a fair knowledge of the coding skills. You need to know the HTML and CSS quite well in order to be a web developer. HTML helps set the structure of a page while the CSS changes the way it looks. These are the very basic coding skills that you need to know for being a web developer. Then there are certain advanced coding skills as well which you can learn over time. But for a start the knowledge of HTML and CSS will do.
What salary can you expect as a web developer?
It is important to know if you are going to be benefitted monetarily in this field. Well then you must know that there is an immense potential for earning money in this field.it is a growing field and you can expect a 5-6 figure salary which should be enough for anyone to lead a potentially comfortable life. And also when you advance in the field as a senior web developer you can accordingly expect more and more income. In short the monetary benefits in this field are fairly good enough.
How to be a good web developer?
Doing a job and then doing it well always pays off. You don’t just want to enter a field of work, you want to excel in every possible manner. You need to keep the following things in mind in order to be a good web developer.
Good communication skills:
It is important to develop good communication skills when you are in the field of web development. You need to change your style and tone depending upon the member of the team that you are communicating with. And also you must be able to translate the technical terms to your clients in order for them to understand the things better. Because after all you don’t want to disappoint your clients.
You need to be passionate about learning the skills and techniques. This is an advancing field and there are a number of things coming up each day. You need to keep yourself updated with a million things that are happening in this field. You need to learn new techniques and latest innovations. Therefore it is important to keep up your passion and be the best in your field.
Be the perfectionist:
Nobody wants to get their work done by someone who is lacking the ability to cross check their work. You should be a perfectionist if you want to be a web developer and a successful web developer for that matter. After all you don’t want to commit a single mistake that might break the website that you have worked so hard upon.
When you are done building a website you often go online. But before you go online and be available on the internet for the users it is mandatory that you conduct a test of the website in order to find out any problems or issues with the website. If you find any, you try to work on correcting the issue before you go live and reveal the website publically. Web testing is basically a kind of software testing that is conducted on the newly formed website to check for any issues and problems with their proper functioning, programming, the security issues, the issues related to the availability of the website across users of varied devices like mobile phones, laptops etc. and also to see if your website is designed to play host to potential traffic which may be called as load testing. All this testing is done by the web testers.
What web testers do?
It is very important to test a website for any potential errors or issues. As a web tester it is your responsibility to check the website for any possible functionality disorders and issues and then set them right. After a website is designed the users expect a fairly reliable and functional websites that work fairly well across all devices. As a web tester it is your duty to perform some important tests on the newly built websites before you launch them.
Web tester tools and techniques:
- Functionality testing
- Usability testing
- Interface testing
- Performance testing
- Security testing
- Functionality testing: it i only natural that your clients want their websites to function perfectly well and accurately. The functionality tests includes checking all the links in the webpages, the database connections, the cookies and the forms, media components, search, libraries and scripts and also validating the HTML and CSS.
- Usability testing: your website should present quality visual and textual elements. The display and the layout should be proper and user friendly. This type of tests include the test for navigation which means you need to check how the user will be able to surf the website, all the buttons etc. should be easy to find and use. Instructions must be clear. This test also includes content checking. You need to check if the content on the website is easily understandable. Check for grammatical and spelling errors. You must follow the standards for using colors and fonts across the webpages. Images should be of proper size and should be easily viewable.
- Interface testing: there are two main interfaces that are
- the web-server and application server interface
- application server and database server interface
see if the interactions between these interfaces are functioning properly. Also you need to check for the errors and the connection.
- Compatibility testing: it includes Browser compatibility, Operating system compatibility, Mobile browsing, Printing options. You have to check for all these compatibilities. You can try operating the website across different browsers, operating systems and mobiles to check for any compatibility issues.
- Performance testing: this test is precisely conducted to test the web load. It includes web load testing and web stress testing. You need to see if the webpage is sustaining to heavy load. You can try testing the webpage across networks with varying speeds and connectivity.
- Security testing: generally the web applications save the information about the users, their personal files, details, billing and payment information. You need to make sure that the users can trust the website and you need to put in proper security check to maintain the trust of the users. It is important to keep the data of the users safe and secure.
You must make sure that the data is kept secured and private. You should limit the access before granting access to sensitive data. You need to check for any possible security issues and correct them.
Web Developers and Web testers:
Now you must have gained a fair deal of information regarding what web developers do and what the web testers do. The work of the two is correlated. While it is the job of the web developers to create and maintain the websites, the web testers are there to check for and address various issues and problems that these website might have. The two fields are interrelated. Neither can work without the other. A web developer may develop a website but he cannot launch it unless and until a professional web tester has put it through various tests of varying levels. In order to make a well designed and a perfectly functional and reliable website, it is important to bring both the web developer and the web tester to get the deed done.
Here are some articles that will help you to get more detail about the Web Developer vs Web Tester so just go through the link.
- Find Out The 8 Awesome Differences -HTML5 vs Flash
- WordPress and Joomla: which one is the best?
- 10 Important Tools you must apply in Web Performance Testing
- Software Development vs Web Development
- Top 20 Helpful Website Developer Tools and Resources (Free)
- Get Started With Python and Django for Web Development
- Graphic Design Interview Questions: What are the helpful questions
- Helpful Guide on PROPER Function in Excel