Differences Between WordPress vs Joomla
WordPress is initially released by Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little in the year 2003. It is declared as an Open source in the year 2009. WordPress is a powerful blogging and Content Management System (CMS), which allows users to build dynamic websites and also facilitate customizing, updating and managing the website from its back-end components. WordPress exclusively supports MySQL only to store data.
As mentioned earlier, WordPress allows people to create blogs also i.e., to build communities, sharing ideas, and some of their own stories which help many others to make proper decisions.
Some of the WordPress features are listed below:
- User Management: This feature mainly allows managing User information such as the role of the user, create, delete, and changing user password.
- Media Management: This is the tool used to manage the media files and folders.
- Theme System: This Theme system feature permits a site to view and its functionality.
- Multilingual: This is a very useful feature which helps to translate website full content to user preferred language.
- Importers: Importers helps in importing data in the form of posts to the website.
- Search Engine Optimization.
Joomla is a free, extendable and open-source Content Management System (CMS) which is used for publishing web content, build dynamic and robust websites and online applications. Joomla is launched in the year 2005 by Open Source Matters, Inc. and the Joomla community.
Joomla is written in PHP language, which uses Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) techniques and software design patterns. Data will be stored in different databases like MySQL, MS SQL, PostgreSQL, etc. Joomla is very much capable, means it has the ability to carry out tasks ranging from corporate level websites and blogs to social networks and also e-commerce websites.
Joomla has many advantages over many of its competitors in the market. It is not only a full-featured CMS, it is also easy to learn, to set up, and less expensive.
4.5 (1,099 ratings)
There are many features available in Joomla such as blogs, page caching, RSS feeds, and news flashes, printable versions of pages, search, and support for the language.
Head to Head Comparison Between WordPress vs Joomla
Below is the Top 6 Comparison Between WordPress vs Joomla
Key Differences Between WordPress vs Joomla
Both WordPress vs Joomla are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Difference Between WordPress vs Joomla:
- WordPress is an online and open source website creation tool written in PHP language whereas Joomla is written in PHP language, which uses Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) techniques and software design patterns.
- Only MySQL is supported by WordPress exclusively but Joomla supports many other databases like MySQL, MS SQL, PostgreSQL, etc.
- WordPress does not support multiple languages feature out of the box whereas Joomla will support out of the box capability to handle a multilingual website.
- The WordPress has very good default plugins in its plugin directory. There are free WordPress plugins (more than 38000) are available in the Plugin directory and also premium plugins which are paid service. But Joomla does not provide a feature by default that would allow users to search and install extensions or templates from the administration area.
- WordPress installation is very easy with a five-minute install whereas Joomla installation takes a little more time compared to WordPress.
Comparison Table WordPress vs Joomla
Following is the Comparison Table Between WordPress vs Joomla
|The Basis Of Comparison Between WordPress vs Joomla||WordPress||Joomla|
|Installation and Ease of Use||WordPress installation are very easy with a five-minute install.
The post install of WordPress, the user experience is convenient than Joomla and the user sees a simple user interface with the menus to utilize all the WordPress features.
|Installation of Joomla takes a little more time compared to WordPress.
Once the installation is done, the user will be able to see a control panel that includes too many menu options to click on and customize it, which is not as straight as WordPress.
|Themes||WordPress facilitates a few default themes which are pre-installed, which makes users change their website’s appearance using themes.
Along with default themes, WordPress has its Premium themes which developed by third parties which are paid service and provide premium support options.
|Joomla facilitates with some default templates and extensions from creating eCommerce store websites. But quantity are not as high as WordPress, this makes user difficult to find a right temple and extension.|
Add-ons / Plugins
|The WordPress have very good plugins in its plugin directory.
There are free WordPress plugins (more than 38000) are available in the Plugin directory and also premium plugins which are paid service.
|By default, Joomla does not provide the feature that would allow users to search and install extensions or templates from the administration area.
But some of the extension which allows a user to add install from web feature for extensions by adding their URL that should be done manually.
|Localization & Multi-Lingual Support||WordPress does not support multiple languages feature out of the box, but some excellent plugins are available which allow a user to create a WordPress multilingual site easily.
WordPress is available in more than 53 different languages.
|Joomla supports out of the box capability to handle a multilingual facility for a website and there is no need of installing any extension.
Translations of languages are also made available in Joomla for admin interface in many languages.
|Security||Websites which build using WordPress will keep targeted by hackers. However, WordPress is built on a very secure code, and it responds to security threats and attacks very quickly. WordPress also has a feature that gives auto updates which allow the website to update automatically when there is a new security patch released.||Joomla is also similar to WordPress in Security. But Joomla team quickly and actively responds to any security attacks and also send a patch to security attacks.
In Joomla, some of the extensions are available to take back up from the Joomla site.
|Database and Programming languages||WordPress exclusively supports only MySQL.
WordPress is an online and open source website creation tool written in PHP language.
|Joomla supports many other databases like MySQL, MS SQL, PostgreSQL, etc.
Joomla is written in PHP language, which uses Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) techniques and software design patterns.
Conclusion – WordPress vs Joomla
Both WordPress vs Joomla is open source and fantastic CMS (Content Management Systems). Joomla has got Joomla many more built-in features than WordPress. But WordPress stands in the first line with it’s user-friendly, global and large community, many default plugins, and themes.
WordPress is the most user-friendly CMS, especially for non-developers but Joomla provides more flexibility for displaying different types of content and managing users for developers.
This has a been a guide to the top difference between WordPress vs Joomla. Here we also discuss the WordPress vs Joomla key differences with infographics, and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –