CISA vs CIA – “Certifications Courses” / “Advancement in the career”/ “growth and success in the workplace” are general points that cross our minds while we are determined about providing the best shape to our future. These are some of the things we need to decide very carefully to achieve the positive outcome of it.
There are various certification courses available which make it difficult to decide at once. However, it is essential that one thinks carefully while taking decisions related to the courses and the stream they tend to be part off. To seek the certification one needs to invest money, time along with hard work. Such scenario usually causes the rising of questions like should I pursue CISA or CIA. Would it be more beneficial if I appear for both the exams? Both CISA and CIA are courses related to the audit and control field. Both the CISA and CIA hold a significant importance in the industry. Receiving complete details about the certification would aid in selecting the course.
About CISA (Certified Information Systems Auditor)
The certification in Certified Information Systems Auditor is handed out by the Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA). The certification of CISA is recognized globally in the audit, control field and security of information systems. The criteria for the certification is constant and has a visibility of high degree in the field of IT audit, IT security, IT governance and risk management. The CISA certification is often mandatory during the vacancies in these sectors as the certification guides the employers in hiring auditors who are highly skilled in assessing and measuring IT controls. It also affirms that the applicant possesses a strong baseline along with a set of auditing skills. The failure rate associated with this exam is quite high. To obtain the certification the candidate has to pass the examination that consists sections on the topics amongst others:
- Auditing techniques and practices
- Reporting techniques and control objectives
- Gathering and maintain the evidence in forensic investigations
The applicant is eligible for the exam if he or she has an experience in one of information systems of expertise out of six. The minimum experience of five years is necessary. In addition, to it, the applicant should be willing to sign and meet the terms associated with the Code of professional Ethics in ISACA’s.
About CIA (Certified internal auditor)
Institute of Internal Auditors mission is to offer dynamic leadership globally in the profession of internal auditing. The CIA certification has set the standards for brilliance in the profession. CIA certification is segmented into 3 parts. The focus of the certification throughout the course is on the International standards for the practicing the Internal Auditing has a professional and features of mandatory guidance under the IPPF of the IIA’s. The focus throughout the journey is on managing the internal audit project and concluding the concepts related to internal risk, control, governance, and technology. The procedure of certification in CIA is to establish foundational core and Initial growth in career to:
- Determine your skills with the staff and the clients.
- Discriminating you from your peers.
- Enhance your knowledge of best practices in the industry.
- Exhibit your professionalism and proficiency.
- Lay a base for continued advancement and improvement.
A certified Internal Auditor is eligible to apply for Internal Audit Practitioner designation. The certification allows you to quickly demonstrate your aptitude in internal audit.
CISA vs CIA Infographics
Which Certification is better to strengthen your core CISA or CIA?
The frequently asked question among the applicants is whether CIA or CISA. The difference of both the certification can be summarized in short as CISA is for specialists while CIA is for generalists. Both the courses have its limitations and qualities. The CIA certification would cost approximately $ 1,500 or more. While the CISA certification would cost about $ 1000. Additional cost might occur during the training due to the books and prep courses.
CISA vs CIA Certification
The question still remains the same which certification would be good to have? The CISA or CIA? If planning for both then which one should be taken first? The CISA certification is of high standards for IT auditors. It is necessary that you are aware of auditing basics and little knowledge of IT. IT auditors get the certification to be in the field while Non It auditors get it to get into IT auditing. The CISA comprises of 1 exam which is encompassing of a membership of 1 year to ISACA. With a strong background and experience, one can prepare and have the certification within the time period of 6 months to a year. Which makes it a good return on investment. While the CIA is a broader certification and is associated with 3 examinations. The certification covers auditing and IT at a broader level. Unlike the CISA the CIA is more related to the general auditing than IT. It is mandatory that you pass all the 3 exams within the duration of 4 years from the time of the first exam. It would generally take 1 to 2 years to appear all the 3 CIA exams. The CIA is respected more than CISA due to its broader nature. The CIA exam is harder in comparison to CISA. Moreover, one thing to consider is that the IT auditors are paid more in general than the Non-IT auditors.
Plus points about CIA
CIA is a good option if your aim is to be an internal auditor however you are not certain about the specialization in which area or your preference with management or general role of internal auditing within a corporation. If CIA is paired up with CPA then it is a great arrangement for a senior position as CAE or head of internal audit. CISA is beneficial only if you look after braking in the IT audit. The overall duration of the 3 part CIA certification course is 1 to 2 years.
Significant facts about CISA
The CISA certification is for high standards of IT auditing. If you are more into the nature of the job of IT audit and you consider that future of auditing is more related to technology-based audit than give it a shot. The scope is narrower and the examination consists only one part. The practical benefit of seeking a certification in CISA is it is easier and the process of examination is faster. An aspirant can finish the course in 6 months or even in 2 months if you are involved with the work of IT audit. The course is a short term consideration yet it is affordable.
A strict professional and academic criteria are essential for the candidates tending to apply for the CIAS and CIA certification.
- CIA Certification Eligibility: CIA needs a graduation degree in accounting or finance along with at least one year experience in auditing or equivalent fields such as accounting or bookkeeping. A senior auditor requires a verified experience for about 5 to 7 years.
- CISA certification Eligibility: The candidate applying for CISA must have a minimum experience in any of expertise in information systems. The candidate must have the experience of working for minimum 4000 hours in a full-time position in information systems, controls, and security experience. The candidate can have an alternative experience for maximum 1 year in security, auditing, and control. The instructors in the university can substitute the one year experience requirement in auditing, control and security with the two years’ experience as a full-time educator.
How it is to Consider CIA and CISA together
- The value of CIA along with the specialization in CISA has a great value. However, the efforts required CIA exams is very high. The CISA exam requires minimal efforts as that in CIA. One could easily pass the CISA exam if you have already appeared for CIA.
- However pursuing the course other way round is less useful. You want to be an IT auditor so you took CISA exam later if you plan to appear for CIA it would not add much value.
Career opportunity – CIA vs CISA
The professional standards increase with the certification. Reliability of the employee upsurge in the job market. A competitive advantage could be obtained by being a qualified certificate holder. The certificate holder could escalate the value of the organization. An individual is more likely to have higher salary being a specialized professional in the field of auditing. A CISA certificate holder tends to earn more than a Jobseeker with the CIA certificate. The salary and spot largely depend on the industry, the company, and your role.
How to be certified in CISA or CIA
The applicant who tends to seek the certification in CISA or CIA to have an influential post in the auditing field need to appear for the examination conducted under the course. On completion of the course and succeeding in the examination, the individual is handed the certificate stating the grades obtained in the exam. The aspirant appearing for the exam need to meet the following requirements:
- Completion of the examination successfully: The CISA and CIA certification examination can be attended by the individual who has a great interest in the field of audit and is encouraged to take it has a profession. The applicant who needs the credential in the same as to apply for the certification will be sent all information and notified with passing score
- Submission of application for the certification of CISA or CIA: Once the aspirant passes the certification exam and meets the requirements of work experience and everything is sorted the final step is to complete and submit the application for certification. The certification exam can be attended prior to meeting the requirements of experience but the designation will be awarded only if all the requirements are met. Five years of experience in information systems auditing or equivalent is required for CIAS while five years of experience in internal audit or equivalent is required in CIA.
- Dedication towards the code of ethics of professionalism: The ISACA for CIAS and IIA’s or CIA certificate follow the code of ethics of professionalism to instruct professionalism and personal behavior in the corporate industry.
- Determined to continue the professional training agendas: Continuing the professional training program is about updating the knowledge and skills in the area of auditing. The qualified CIAS and CIA certificate holders who have met the requirements for continuing the certification helps to differentiate between the qualified and non-qualified auditors. With the professional training, the candidate can obtain the mechanism for auditing and maintain the competency in the field.
- Compliance with the standards of auditing: The candidates holding the CIAS or CIA designation agree to follow the standards adopted by the ISACA and IIA’s for the respective certification courses.
- Preparations for the exam: The aspirant appearing for the examination of the CIAS or CIA certification course needs to prepare for the exams with complete determination. The examinations are quite tough and not everyone is able to clear the exam in the first attempt. Taking the tests and following the curriculum of the course.
- Take the Exam: Appear the exam with confidence and full preparation. Do your best in the examination. If you are unable to clear it in the first short try to give a second attempt. Once you clear the exam you can pursue the profession as an IT based auditor with CIAS and Internal auditor as CIA.
The CIAS or CIA certification is a small means of shaping career aspects of life. Prospering professionally is essential to lead a better living. The certification courses and upgrading the knowledge is an easy means to do the same. Seeking the certification in the desired field of the stream will not only enhance your skills but will help you to adjust according to the needs of the industry. Complete the certification process in the stated duration of time as per the criteria of the exam. Select an appropriate certification that is suitable for your job profile and which provides maximum benefits to you.
Here are some articles that will help you to get more detail about CISA vs CIA – Which One Has a Better Career Scope so just go through the link.