Differences Between Selenium vs Cucumber
Selenium is a software automation testing tool. It is an open-source testing tool that is mainly used for functional testing of web applications only. Selenium is a set of different tools that are used for automation of web applications or browsers for different platforms like Windows, Linux, and Mac OS. Cucumber is a command-line software tool. It executes the plain-text functional descriptions as an automated test. Cucumber is a testing tool based on Behavior Driven Development (BDD) framework. BDD is an extended version of TDD (Test Driven Development) that supports the behavioral part of the software code.
Selenium consists of various tools or variants of selenium are:
- Selenium IDE
- Selenium web driver
- Selenium Remote control (RC)
- Selenium Grid
- Selenium client API
Selenium tests an automated framework that uses the scripts which can be tested directly across multiple browsers like google chrome, Internet, Mozilla Firefox. It can be implemented for mobile web applications as well as iOS, Android, etc.
Cucumber consists of the terms:
- Feature: It describes the feature written in a file that used to write the steps for automation tests.
- Scenario: It defines the functionality that needs to be tested.
- Give-When-Then: It provides information on conditions that are pre-condition, postcondition, and execution.
- And (|): It is being used to combine two or more actions.
- But: It is being used to intersect two or more actions or commands
Cucumber follows the language or set of rules in Gherkin. It is the simple, lightweight and structured language that used to describe features, requirements, and scenarios. It is having its own syntax to write the featured file and set of keywords to define different actions on scenarios.
4.5 (2,211 ratings)
Selenium vs Cucumber Infographics
Below is the Top 8 Comparisons Between Selenium vs Cucumber
Key Differences Between Selenium vs Cucumber
Some of the points are explained below that shows the Differences Between Selenium vs Cucumber
- Selenium is generally referred to as browser automation testing tool. Cucumber is referred to as a testing tool based on a behavior driven framework.
- In Selenium, test scripts can be written in Java, C#, and other languages. In Cucumber, test scripts written in plain text language according to rules of Gherkin language.
- In Selenium, we can use conditional statements effectively and easily. In Cucumber, we cannot use these statements like if statement.
- In Selenium, we need to write scripts based on test cases and requirements. In Cucumber, we need to write scenarios and get it verified from business analyst and other management teams.
- In Selenium, scripts are more complicated to develop and executed. In Cucumber, it is easy to write or develop and execute.
- Selenium scripts appear more like developing an application. Cucumber scripts are like of documenting the procedure or functionality in right order
- In Selenium, syntax errors are easy to find while developing. In cucumber, syntax errors are not getting into notice while writing.
- In Selenium, there is a suite of tools or set of software tools that are used for different purpose and each is having different functionality to test like Selenium web driver is mainly used to test web applications across all the platforms. In Cucumber, we have set of terms and in that way only we need to write the file for all the supported platforms.
Head To Head Comparison Between Selenium vs Cucumber
Following is the comparison table between Selenium vs Cucumber
|Framework||It is a software testing framework.||It is not testing framework.|
|Programmed||Selenium is mainly written in Java.||It was programmed in Ruby programming language.|
|Automation||Selenium is functional and performance automation testing tool||It is not an automation testing tool.|
|Readability||Selenium scripts are difficult to read for a management team.||Cucumber scripts can be easily readable by a management team.|
|Installation||Selenium installation is difficult comparatively.||Cucumber has quick setup and installation.|
|Performance||Selenium has quite good performance in executing test scripts.||Cucumber makes the execution of scripts slower.|
|Reliability||Selenium process makes the testing more reliable and dependable.||Cucumber testing is not that reliable comparatively.|
|Plugins||In Selenium, Plugins works slower as compared to cucumber||In Cucumber, Plugins are faster than selenium|
Conclusion – Selenium vs Cucumber
Selenium and Cucumber both are an open-source tool and free of cost. They can be easily downloaded and readily available for use. Cucumber can be integrated with Selenium for the testing. Both Selenium and Cucumber tools can be used for cross-browser web applications. Selenium and Cucumber scripts are easy to maintain and reuse for different platforms and languages. These are one of the best tools used in DevOps CICD process.
Selenium is a very good tool used for functional testing across many companies. After learning selenium, it will make you both developer and tester as we need to develop scripts and do the testing according to the test cases and plans. Selenium is always the first choice for developers to build scripts and test applications.
Cucumber is not famous as selenium is in the market. Cucumber is also getting its market slowly and firmly. If you are a beginner, you can easily learn cucumber as it is easy to understand and write without any difficulty.
Automation is one of the core requirement in IT companies. Automation testing really helps the team to check the vulnerabilities more effectively and consistently. The daily reports are getting generated to check the progress which helps in quality of delivery and most importantly on-time delivery without any issues. The above Selenium and Cucumber tools are helpful in achieving these primary things for any organization in functional areas. Each tool has its own strong areas. You need to get your requirements done and check which tool can be selected or best fit into your requirements.
This been a useful guide to Differences Between Selenium vs Cucumber here we discussed their Meaning, Head to Head Comparisons, Key Differences, and Conclusions. You may also look at the following article to learn more –