Differences Between Selenium vs PhantomJS
Selenium is basically an open-source web-based automation tool. It is a portable software testing framework for web applications across different browsers and platforms. Selenium is mainly composed of 4 components. These are Selenium IDE, Selenium RC, Selenium Web Driver, and Selenium Grid. PhantomJS is a java scripted headless Web Kit used for automating web page interaction. The headless browser is a type of web browser which doesn’t have any graphical user interface. These are mainly used for providing specific web page content to other software programs.
Let us study much more about Selenium and PhantomJS in detail:
Software Testing is the most important procedure while producing any Software product. It actually goes hand in hand with the Software Development process. Now, Selenium and PhantomJS are the two equally important and well-known testing frameworks. Selenium was initially developed by Jason Huggins in 2004. PhantomJS was released by Ariya Hidayat. Selenium has 4 components, such as Selenium IDE, Selenium RC, Selenium Web Driver, and Selenium Grid.
Like the two sides of a coin, these two frameworks also have pros and cons.
- Selenium (Pros and Cons)
|Large Community Support|
|Successful Integration with CI tool|
|Easy integration with an existing testing framework|
|Different Languages support|
|Easy to debug as the real-time activities are visible|
|Approved WC3 standard web driver|
|Not that suitable for running more than few browsers on one machine at a time|
|Slow performance while running multiple test cases|
|The IDE recording and performance isn’t too powerful and effective|
- PhantomJS (Pros and Cons)
|Capable of executing multiple tests|
|Being headless the execution is very fast|
|No need to integrate with third party service|
|Low Resource required|
|Very useful in Smoke Testing|
|Supports screen capture|
|Usage in many open source projects|
|Not a good option for web app testers|
|Lack of Ecosystem|
|Only serves as a single version of Web Kit|
|Sometimes requires heavy set up|
Head to Head Comparison Between Selenium vs PhantomJS
Below is the Top 7 Comparison Selenium vs PhantomJS
Key Differences Between Selenium vs PhantomJS
The Difference Between Selenium vs PhantomJS, are explained in the below-mentioned points:
- Selenium is an open source automation tool and it works on real browsers with direct interaction with the UI elements. In case of PhantomJS, it is a scripted headless browser that is used for automating web page interaction.
- Being a headless browser, the interactions are much faster than the real browser. So the performance time is smoother in PhantomJS than Selenium
- Selenium has one component known as Selenium IDE which one can use the same IDE for coding to debug. This would not be the case for PhantomJS
- Selenium doesn’t directly support screen capture and one has to implement add-ins to process the same whereas PhantomJS supports screen capture
- Selenium supports many browsers (cross browsers) and a good platform future real browsers to Selenium web driver whereas PhantomJS is a scripted headless browser and doesn’t work on the real browser (UI) interaction
- Selenium works on a real browser and standalone UI interactions. So, easy to set preconditions for the tests. But this is a bit different in case of PhantomJS as it is a headless browser.
Comparisons Table Selenium vs PhantomJS
Below is the Comparison Between Selenium vs PhantomJS
|BASIS FOR COMPARISON||Selenium||PhantomJS|
|Unit Testing||Unit testing is mainly done by the developers. Now, being worked on real browsers and interacts with UI based on current existing functionality, Selenium is less preferred than PhantomJS for unit testing||Developers also preferred PantomJS as code can be written by selecting the HTML element while developing the UI. It also becomes an important tool for unit testing|
|Smoke Testing||Selenium is used for smoke testing verifying critical changes. Selenium IDE is basically used as a prototyping tool and would not be suitable for creating and maintaining complex test suites. You have to use web driver and other features for the same||PhantomJS is a perfect and ideal choice for smoke testing web apps. It basically blends smoothly into the development workflow.|
|Simplicity||Selenium is mainly associated with extensive documentation which is simple clear and easy to understand||PhantomJS is a scripted, headless browser used for automation. It can also be learned but selenium has a broader documentation aspect than PhantomJS.|
Conclusion Selenium vs PhantomJS
After comparing Selenium and PhantomJS over a range of factors, it can be concluded that selection of any of the testing framework depends entirely on the features that best fit the project needs as each one has its own pros and cons. As both Selenium and PhantomJS are perfect in their roles, understanding their unique capabilities would help them decide which one to choose. Thus, based on the project need, type of browsers, time of work and on all the other different discussed aspects, any one of these tools should be selected to reach the desired goal.
This has been a guide to Differences Between Selenium vs PhantomJS, their Meaning, Head to Head Comparison, Key Differences, Comparison Table, and Conclusion. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –