Differences Between Linux vs Windows
Windows is a series of operating systems, computer operating system (OS) developed by Microsoft for personal desktops/devices or computer (PC). Each operating system comes with a graphical user interface (GUI) with a desktop that allows a user to view all files, videos, etc. It is designed to run on x86 hardware such as AMD, Intel processors. So windows OS comes with almost all company who made PC’s or laptops. Linux is an open-source operating system based on UNIX, created in 1991. It is software which sites underneath of all other software on a computer. Users can modify the existing code and create distributions from it as it is an open-source operating system. Linux is mostly used as a server – as most of the web pages over the internet are generated from Linux servers and
What is the Windows operating system?
The first version of Windows OS is released in 1985 which is a simple GUI, an extension of existing disk operating system (MS-DOS) and major release as my point of view was 1995 consumer release which has integrated windows and DOS with built-in internet support. Most of the PC are currently running on the Windows operating system only. The latest Windows OS version is Windows 10 which is currently ruling the market.
What is the Linux Operating system?
Linux is an open-source operating system based on UNIX, created in 1991. Linux operating system also comes with a graphical user interface (GUI) with some necessary software’s which are used on a daily basis. It is also used in desktop computers, mobile devices, gaming consoles, digital storing devices, eBook readers, cameras, video recorders have Linux running.
Head to Head Comparison Between Linux vs Windows (Infographics)
Below is the Top 9 Comparison Between Linux vs Windows
Key Differences Between Linux vs Windows
following is the Differences Between Linux and Windows
- Linux is open source operating system whereas Windows OS is commercial.
- Linux has access to source code and alters the code as per user need whereas Windows does not have access to source code.
- Linux will run faster than windows latest editions even with a modern desktop environment and features of the operating system whereas windows are slow on older hardware.
- Linux distributions don’t collect user data whereas Windows collect all the user details which lead to privacy concern.
- Linux is more reliable then windows as in Linux we can kill application if they hung through x kill command whereas, in windows, we need to try multiple times to kill it.
- Linux supports a wide variety of free software’s than windows but windows have a large collection of video game software.
- In Linux software cost is almost free as all programs, utilities, complex applications such as open office are free but windows also have many free programs and utilities but most of the programs are commercial.
- Linux is highly secure because it’s easy to identify bugs and fix whereas Windows has a large user base and becomes a target for developers of viruses and malware.
- Linux is used by corporate organizations as servers and operating system for security purpose at Google, Facebook, twitter etc. whereas windows are mostly used by gamers and business users.
- Linux and windows have same priority over hardware and driver support in the present situation.
Linux vs Windows Comparison Table
Below is the detailed Comparison of Linux vs Windows
|Basis for comparison||Linux||Windows|
|Access||In Linux user has access to the source code of kernel and alter the code according to his need. It has its own advantages like bugs in OS will fix at a rapid pace and disadvantages like developers may take advantage of any weakness in OS if they found.||In windows every user won’t have access to the source code, only members of the selected group will have access to it.|
|Flavors or Variety||Linux has various distributions which are highly customizable based on user needs.||Windows has very few customization options available.|
|Licensing||In Linux with GPL- Licensed operating system, users are free to modify the software, can re-use in any number of systems and even they can sell the modified version.||In windows, with Microsoft license, users won’t have access to source code (can’t modify the software) and based on a number of licenses – we can install only on those number of computers.|
|Command line||In Linux, command line is a very useful tool for administration and daily tasks but for end users, it doesn’t make much difference.||In windows, we have command line but can’t use as Linux command line. We need to go running and enter cmd then command line will open.|
|Run level||Linux has inbuilt ability to stop at different run levels with this we can work using a command line and GUI if anyone has an issue.||In windows, if we encounter any problem in order to fix it, we need to reboot at run level 3 as an administrator/ root to find and fix the problem.|
|Usability||Linux is complicated to install but has the ability to complete complex tasks easier.||Windows gives user’s a simple system to operate but it will take a longer time to install.|
|Support||Linux has support via a huge community of user forums/websites and online search.||Windows has support which is easily accessible, online forums/ websites and it has paid support also.|
|Updates||In Linux, users have full control of updates, we can install whenever we needed and it will take less time without any reboot.||In windows, updates will come at inconvenient times such as you are giving a print to the printer but suddenly update pop up will come which makes users frustrate and took more time to install.|
|Security||Linux is more secure than windows where hackers or developers of viruses will find difficult to break through Linux.||Windows is the major target for developers of viruses and malware and it is most vulnerable without anti-virus software.|
Conclusion – Linux vs Windows
Finally, it is an overview of Linux vs Windows and I hope that you will be interested to know more about these operating system internals after reading this differences between Linux and Windows article.
Users who are looking to change operating system from windows to Linux or vice-versa will have a good idea of advantages and disadvantages of both Linux and Windows operating systems and decide based on their requirement and which has more advantages. These are the differences between Linux and Windows operating systems and as in my opinion; I feel that Linux has more advantages than Windows operating system.
This has been a guide to Differences Linux vs Windows, their Meaning, Head to Head Comparison, Key Differences, Comparison Table, and Conclusion. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –
- Angular vs Knockout-Which Technology Is Best?
- Angular vs Bootstrap How Are They Different?
- Interview Questions Of Windows
- Java Heap vs Stack – 7 Most Awesome Thing You Should Know
- Angular vs JQuery – Know The 6 Most Important Differences
- Linux vs BSD: Which is the Best
- Linux vs Android: Want to know the differences