What is DevOps?
DevOps is a combination of two words, namely Development and Operation. It shows the relation between these two teams, i.e., the development and the IT team. It develops the code in a faster and efficient manner, hence increases the speed of the production. It is a term used to show the relation between the Development and the Operation team. Many organization makes use of DevOps as it increases the delivery speed of the application or product. In addition, it helps an organization to give its customers the best product in the market.
Before DevOps comes into the picture, there is no relation between the deployment and operation team; they both work differently in their own manner, there is no communication between these two means; hence the development of the product takes a long time. They spend more time on testing and designing rather than developing a product. Therefore there is a need to increase the speed of delivering a product. To increase this speed, the DevOps comes into the picture, which solves this problem and makes the communication between both team deployment and operation.
How does DevOps make Working so Easy?
- Before developing any product both team development and operation makes the list of requirements and task which needs to be carried out for developing a product. All the risks like storage, accuracy, efficiency, failure time, recovery options, etc., are analyzed in DevOps before developing the product.
- It decreases the error which may occur after deploying the product to the customer. In this, the operation team knows the progress of the product which the development team is developing, they know all the details, they interact with the development team to monitor each and every process to identify that developing products meets their requirement.
- Before it gives to the customer, some testing, i.e. load testing, has been performed to check any error. If an error occurs, the development team immediately fixes that problem.
What can you do with DevOps?
- It follows an agile methodology that is used to implement continuous integration and delivery.
- It helps to deliver the product or application in a faster manner.
- It is used to develop large application likes e-commerce websites, cloud-based application.
Working with DevOps
- This workflow gives an overview of all the operations which are performed during the deployment of, i.e. inputs which are provided, outputs that are generated from each input.
- DevOps workflow helps to identify the actions or requirements which have high priority and arrange those actions by assigning tasks.
- It helps to implement those requirements which have high priority and gives efficiency.
Tools used for automating all the processing and configuring plays an important role in DevOps. This process of optimization is also known as DevOps automation.
Important and famous tools for DevOps automation are as follows:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS): This tool offers a large set of global computation, storage, database, analytics and deployment services that helps organizations in faster execution, lowering IT costs and precise maintainability.
- Jenkins: This tool helps in continuous integration and testing. As soon as deployment, it quickly finds issues and maintains integrity.
- Splunk: This is a tool that maintains Log Management by solving problems like aggregating, storing, and analyzing all logs.
Given below are the advantages mentioned:
- Maintainability: It helps to recover the actions in the newly released version without affecting the current version.
- Predictability: It reduces the mean time between failures.
- Reproducibility: It has the ability to restore the previous version anytime, whenever needed.
- High Quality: It helps the development team to develop a product with high quality as it focuses on issues related to infrastructure.
- Increases Speed: It makes developed products or applications faster, hence increases the speed of the delivery.
- Reduce Risk: Before developing products, they first identify all the requirements hence reduces the risk which may occur during development.
- DevOps engineers must be able to perform troubleshooting across the system and solving the problem.
- He should have the ability to quickly gain knowledge of the system, quickly solve the problems.
- He should have some basic knowledge about testing and be able to make the test scripts.
- He should have the ability to trace the project and increase the speed of the project by visualizing it.
- It is a trending and exciting profession in the IT industry. Hence there are plenty of opportunities for DevOps Engineers. The salary for a junior-level engineer is quite high. The approximate pay scale of a Junior DevOps engineer in India is 11,15,900 per year. Whereas, in the United States of America, the average salary for a junior DevOps Engineer is $78,696 per year.
- As a result, there is an increasing demand for trained and skilled DevOps engineers. So it can be said that this technology will become a leading technology in the coming future. Hence it is creating new job roles and automation software tools.
- These training certification courses help anyone who wants to make a career as a DevOps Engineer. Certifications are available from Red Hat, DevOps Institute, Amazon web services, Microsoft Academy, etc. DevOps engineers can also improve their skills by taking advanced courses.
Why do we Need DevOps?
- Before these, Testing and Deployment were done separately after the design-build. Hence they were consuming more time than actual build cycles.
- Without using DevOps, Instead of focusing on the project building, employees were spending most of their time in testing, designing, and deployment. This also leads to human errors because of manual code deployment.
- It helps organizations in building and developing code in weeks that previously took months or sometimes also years.
By the time DevOps has adapted, so many changes.
Some of them are given as follows:
- As the amount of data is increasing, the need for storage and faster execution speed is also increasing.
- Soon DevOps engineers will gain more control and access to the end-users than other professionals working in the companies.
In this article, we have seen what DevOps is, the need and future of the DevOps technology and how one can build a career in this technology.
This has been a guide to What is DevOps? Here we discussed the introduction, features, tools, skills required, along with the scope and advantages of DevOps. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –
- What is Data Processing?
- What is SQL Injection?
- Definition of what is SQL Server?
- Top 16 Benefits of DevOps