What is AWS?
Welcome to the Amazon Web Services guide. In this guide, we will see about AWS and cloud computing. We will discuss various domains in Amazon Web Services detailed. Prerequisites to take the course is having some knowledge on how an application is deployed on servers and small knowledge on managing computing systems.
First, we need to understand what cloud computing is, It’s the basis of understanding AWS.
What is cloud computing?
Cloud computing refers to a service hosted on the internet and you can access the service remotely using the internet. Availability of a service like data storage, servers, or any computing resource over the internet is cloud computing. You don’t manage it personally and it’s more like renting a resource.
Simply to put, Cloud computing is the use of remote computing resource to store, manage and process data rather than a local server or personal computer.
Due to its huge success lot of people trying their hands-on cloud computing. There are a lot of players out there who are providing cloud services as listed,
- Google Cloud platform
- Amazon web service
- Microsoft Azure
- Digital ocean
- IBM Cloud
What is AWS?
It’s a platform where Amazon offers their cloud services like a database, servers, computing machines, file storage, etc. where you can rent them and pay for them according to your usage.
4.5 (2,148 ratings)
According to various sources, Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a secure cloud services platform, offering computing power, database storage, content delivery, and other functionality to help businesses scale and grow.
How does AWS make working so easy?
In olden days, if you want to deploy an application you have to buy a server, and servers are not cheap pals. You need to invest a lot of money in it and a lot of time to setup up it. You also need to put up an infrastructure to maintain your server. If it went down, then you need to troubleshoot it and your business will be down for that time. Since websites have different peak times for traffic, we need to buy more server to scale up or down. We have to manage everything manually. But with AWS, you don’t need to buy a server, you rent it and deploy and pay only for what you use. No more expensive server. Amazon will manage it for you. If the server goes down, Amazon will spawn up a new instance for your application. With AWS you don’t need to maintain an infrastructure for your servers, all you need is to concentrate on your business goals.
Top AWS Companies
- Netflix – A Online video streaming company
- NASA – Agency for aerospace research
- Expedia – Online travel company
- Slack – A professional messaging platform
- Samsung – A mobile company, apps developed by Samsung are deployed using AWS
- Nokia – A mobile company
- Adobe – Multimedia software company
- Airbnb – Rental service for local stays
Advantages of AWS
In this section, we will compare three giants in cloud computing. According to a recent report, the following cloud players are ranked as the top three cloud providers.
- Amazon web service
- Microsoft Azure
- Google cloud platform
Why AWS are top of the other two?
The biggest factor for AWS success is because it offers more services compared to Azure and Google cloud. It continues to grow exponentially and support recent technologies. The scope of operation that can be done on AWS is massive. AWS is more mature than the other two. Amazon’s biggest weakness is cost structure, it is very confusing for enterprises. Amazon supports all level enterprises (from small to large).
Google cloud and Microsoft Azure are late to market than AWS, and also, they offer fewer services than AWS. One of the biggest factors for the success of Azure is the Windows operating system is widely used. So, it makes sense to use Azure for Windows-based application servers. Google have really well-managed cost structure. It’s easy to get started with Google cloud than the other two.
Understanding AWS and What you can do with AWS?
AWS is not a single service; it offers a board set of cloud-based products. Let’s see them one by one.
List of services provided by AWS,
- Networking and Content delivery
- Security, Identity, and Compliance
- Developer tools
- Management tools
You can deploy your application in compute. Compute is referring to computing powers. Some popular services in compute are Amazon
- EC2 for virtual machines
- Elastic Beanstalk for automated deployments
- Lambda to run functions without a server
- Elastic load balances to balance the request handling capacity
- Autoscaling to scale up or down according to the real-time requirements.
Amazon provides a file system as a service. With storage, you can store and access data on the internet based on demand. It is stored on a cloud computer. This gives you anywhere and anytime access to your files. Storage usually holds information which is used by applications. This is one of the main components as database, warehouse, backup, serving is based on some form of storage. Some popular services are
- Simple storage service (S3) just like a file system to store files, folders, documents, images, songs, etc.
- Elastic File System for EC2 instances
- Glacier for storing file for a long time with low cost (Mainly used for archival service)
AWS offers a wide range of database services, From relational database to NoSQL database. We can also easily migrate our data to AWS by using Database migration service.
- Relational database service (RDBS) supports commonly used databases like MySQL, Oracle database, MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL SQL, and Amazon Aurora.
- Redshift which is a close relative to PGSQL.
- Elasticache supports in-memory cache services like Memcached and Redis.
- DynamoDB is a highly scalable NoSQL database with very low latency.
Note: Please understand the difference between database and storage. Storage is a service based on the file system where you can store executables. But a database cannot include executable files.
You can get insights into the data you have. You can also create visualizations on the data you analyzed. Some set of services like
- Athena for running SQL queries on S3 bucket.
- Quick Sight for business insights and data visualizations.
- Glue to create Extract Transform Load (ETL) systems.
- Kinesis for performing Real-time analysis on streaming content
- Elastic search and Cloud Search for creating a managed search engine
5. Networking and Content delivery
The main network-based services on AWS are Virtual private clouds which enable you to launch resource in the isolated network, direct connect let you establish a dedicated connection to connect with AWS, and Route 53 let you use highly scalable Domain Naming System. For content delivery, we use CloudFront which is a caging service which allows us to cage the content to a location near the user. So, we reduce the latency for delivering the content.
The set of services which lets you develop mobile apps or helps in developing mobile apps. You can use do analysis with the user data using these services.
- The mobile hub for add, configure and design feature for mobile apps.
- With device farm, you can test your mobile app on hundreds of devices.
- Cognito for single sign-on integration with mobile apps.
- Mobile Analytics for mobile data analysis
7. Security, Identity, and Compliance
For managing permission, access restrictions, Security management, Threat detection we can use different services in this domain.
- Identity and Access Management (IAM) allows you to create, manage and give different access to different users.
- Inspector to search vulnerabilities on our virtual machines
- Web Application Firewall (WAF) to protect from common attacks like XSS, SQL Injection, etc.
- Key Management Service (KMS) for managing encrypted keys. You can create and control keys you used to encrypt data.
- Guard Duty for detecting threats intelligently to protect AWS accounts.
You don’t need to worry about migrating data on AWS. You can get data or put data on AWS using their migration services. Also, you can migrate data from one database to another database.
- Database Migration Service (DMS) for migrating data from a database to a database.
- Server Migration Service (SMS) for migrating on-site servers quickly
- Snowball can upload your data to S3, Pack and send the hard disk to AWS
9. Developer tools
Developer tools are used for managing software development life-cycles. You can use these set of service to create, build and deploy software applications.
- Code-Star service for creating, managing and working with software projects
- Code-Commit is version control software like git
- Code-Build is for building your code-base
- Code-Deploy for automating the deployment of application
- Code-Pipeline allows you to keep eyes on building, testing and deploying the applications.
10. Management tools
- Cloud-Watch can be used to monitor resource utilization
- Cloud-Trail logs all changes and API calls made to Amazon web services
- Cloud-Formation used to convert infrastructure into the cloud, so it will be like a template. You can create a production-ready environment in minutes.
- Trusted advisor gives you recommendations on how to do cost optimization and secure your environment.
Need for AWS and Why should we use it?
Benefits of using AWS is
The need for cloud computing is the basis of understanding any cloud providers. The main need for cloud computing is cost saving. Yes, with cloud computing you can reduce hardware and software cost. You don’t need to maintain a server. Day to day issues with server maybe hectic if the company grows faster. All license or renewal are taken care of cloud providers. With cloud computing, you can access your data and server anywhere, anytime. You don’t need to put extra care for securing your customer’s data. It will be also taken care of by cloud providers; your data will be always on good hands.
Who is the right audience for learning AWS technologies?
This is purely based on your background, there are particularly three roles for AWS skills. They are
- AWS Sysops
- AWS Architect
- AWS Development
If you are from an admin background you can choose to learn some set of skills to become an AWS Sysops. It’s just like managing deployment, pipelines and build process. You may need to expertise in IAM, VPC, Route53, ELB, etc.
If you are from developer background you can go with a set of skills that supports SaaS-based applications. You may need to expertise in the blockchain, Artificial intelligence, VR or AR, auto-scaling, load-balancing, etc.
For AWS architect, you need more experience working on the AWS platform. It’s like building a good infrastructure for an application that may require to meet specific needs. You can also be junior cloud architect if you have good knowledge on AWS platform.
How this technology will help you in career growth?
It’s not a coincidence that all tech gains jumping into cloud computing like Amazon, Google, Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, Alibaba. They have seen tremendous demand and scope in the market for cloud services. In upcoming years most of the apps and website will be deployed on cloud-based service and will use cloud-based service for internal operations. If you start learning cloud technologies from now, it will help you to go up in your career.
Now, why AWS? Although there is a war going on different cloud providers, King Amazon stays on top by owing 47.1% of shares on the public cloud sector. On the other hand, Azure has dominance in enterprise applications. Choose wisely according to your requirements.
Everything is turning into a cloud, we sync our contacts, photos, documents, etc., to a cloud. We are not storing our movies or video to our local storage or personal computer; we are streaming them today on Amazon or YouTube. We already started using cloud products without realizing them.
Cloud products are on our daily life and AWS help us to create, deploy and manage our application. Most of the companies are started using cloud services nowadays. So, to stay ahead on the road we need to acquire those skills.
This has been a guide to What is AWS. Here we discussed the working, skills, career growth, and advantages of AWS with top companies that implement this technology. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –