Updated April 26, 2023
Introduction to SEO Myth Tips
Over the years, many misconceptions and SEO myths about search engine optimization have emerged. SEO Myths can start quickly and become pervasive over time. Following those SEO myths can cause severe damage to your website. There are also a lot of tips on driving traffic to your site. Some SEO tips will be great, while others are just a waste of time. Given below are a few SEO myths and a few SEO tips on effective ways to drive traffic to your site through SEO.
Top 8 SEO Myths You Must Beware of
Following are the Myths explained in detail:
SEO Myths 1 – the Good website will bring good traffic
A good website will help you with content marketing. An excellent website with original SEO content writing will bring the required traffic to your site.
Is it true? Not at all
If it were that easy, it would make the job of SEO professionals easier. Yes, of course, SEO website design and content play a significant role, but pairing it with links is essential, a technical base, and other SEO techniques to achieve a higher SEO ranking in search engines.
SEO Myths 2 – Link building is a past technique
Links are dead. What? Yes, buying SEO backlinks from link farms is dead. Now, you will be penalized if you purchase links from outside for your site.
But the original seo backlinks built are still alive. Conduct an SEO link-building campaign rather than a link-buying campaign. It would help if you had links to bring traffic to your site.
If you need to improve at SEO building links to your site, hire an expert to give you an SEO plan for acquiring links naturally. A link builder will give you many innovative ideas to get links naturally. Creating links has become a crucial part of SEO, so handle it carefully.
Let’s move to the following SEO myths.
SEO Myths 3 – Purchasing email list
Many site owners want to get ‘opt-in’ email lists to advertise their business through email. Many companies in the market sell such email lists to site owners.
But purchasing such email lists is an utter waste of time and money. The reasons are as follows
- By the time you get the list, most of the email id’s will be out of date
- You don’t know whether your emails are reaching your target customers
- Many of the recipients will not be interested in your product
- Many recipients will send your mail to their spam box if the mail you send is in no way to help them
SEO Myths 4 – Google analytics lets Google spy on you
Is it true?
Yes, it is in the following cases.
If you have used Google Analytics for your old site and started a new one without fixing the senior site, the Google Analytics code will also apply to your new location.
And if you have created multiple domains and all have the same Google Analytics code, it acts as a spy on your site.
There is also a No to this fact
Google does not use Google Analytics as a factor to rank your site
Because many sites do not use Google Analytics, and if Google uses this factor to determine the position, it will not make any practical sense.
SEO Myths 5 – Social media is the new link building technology
Yes, social media can create links but not from sharing itself. It is because Google had friction with Facebook and Twitter as the companies were unwilling to give Google access to their fire hose. So Google does not include social media links in its ranking algorithm. Social media can create links but have yet to make new connections.
Let’s move to the following SEO myths.
SEO Myths 6 – XML sitemaps increase your rankings
The XML sitemap is essential to make your site crawlable by search engines. So we already know that sitemaps help search engines to crawl and index your site faster.
Can a sitemap increase your SEO ranking?
A sitemap does not affect your site rankings. It will make your site more visible to the searchers, but it does not guarantee rankings in search engines.
SEO Myths 7 – Top level domains increase rankings
The top-level domains take the highest place in the hierarchical domain name system. People are more familiar with .com domain names and become confused with others.
The reason is 98% of the search results are .com domain names.
But in reality geo, targetable domain names are more effective than .com domain names.
For instance, if a site created in the US has the .com domain name, then the search engine will assume that the audience for the site is global and will show it in their search results to the worldwide audience.
And if the creator gives the site a .us extension, it will quickly show up for the searchers from that country.
But undoubtedly, .com domain names still outrank all the other domain names as it has given tremendous results for many people.
SEO Myths 8 – Hire an SEO agency to get top rankings
It is the essential SEO Myth of all. An SEO agency might be helpful in keyword analysis and competitive auditing.
But how could any SEO agency guarantee top rankings in search engines when no one can predict tomorrow’s SEO keywords?
People need help to guarantee fast top rankings in search engines.
SEO is a long-term strategy. You can never achieve top ranking for your site in one night or within a few days.
You can hire an SEO agency for various reasons like
- When you don’t have time to run your site
- When you want to do keyword research
- If you want to increase your search traffic
- When you want an SEO training course from them
But only sometimes believe in an SEO agency that promises to give you top rankings quickly.
Ranking obtained in a short period will gradually slide and bring you a significant loss.
SEO Tips to Follow
Following are some seo tips we need to follow:
Finding the keywords is the first step in an SEO campaign. Given below are a few SEO tips regarding the keyword research
- Select long tail keywords than shorter ones. Long tail keywords can drive more traffic and get seo ranking quickly.
- Find keywords that search engine attributes to your site
- Find SEO keywords from your customers. Do research on words your customers use to describe your product or business.
Do basic On-page optimization
Once the keywords are all set for your site, start with your SEO on-page optimization. There are a lot of SEO techniques, and the important ones are listed below
- Meta tags matter a lot in SEO. Meta tags include the Title tag, Meta description, and Headings.
Title tag: Use your primary SEO keyword in this title tag at the top of the SEO browser.
Meta Description: This is very important as it appears on the search result page to the searchers. Make it attractive, and remember to include your keywords.
Headings: The H1 tag is the main title for the page. Have only one H1 tag. Use other heading tags like H2, H3, etc., to divide the contents into smaller sections.
- Use SEO keywords sparingly in your content or tags.
- To add an SEO description to the image that has been put onto your website, use Alt tags. Use keywords in the report and a keyword as a file name for the idea.
- Make sure your URL is short and descriptive. Do not include special characters or underscores in your URL. Your URL should be related to your business.
The next best factor that drives more traffic to your site is quality, inbound links. Here are a few SEO tips on building links
- Natural and organic links will help you drive traffic, and search engines will give more value to such links. Buying links is a lousy SEO strategy; you will be penalized for that.
- Have quality content on your site and create anchor text in a target SEO keyword. Anchor text remains a major ranking factor. You can also use your brand, URL, and generic keywords as anchor text.
- Get links from your SEO blogs through their reviews and comments about your business or product. It will increase the traffic and, in turn, increase your site’s ranking.
- Try to get links from sites that are relevant to your business. When you get more of such links, the search engine will decide that your site offers value to the visitors, and you can have authority on the contents of your site.
- If any other person uses your images, contact them and ask them to provide a link for your site.
- Set alerts on your site to track mentions of your company. Find such persons and request them to provide a link to their website in their article.
- If you are providing a link to some other website, then make sure that it is a trustworthy source. If not, the search engine will not crawl to your site.
Blogging and Social Media
Social media will help you connect to influencers who will help you promote your content. The SEO tips below will help you market your site through social media.
- Actively participate in social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and others. It will increase the number of followers for your business. Content shared on such social media sites will reach a large population.
- Have a WordPress site. It acts as a blogging platform. It acts as a Content Management System for the entire website and thus it saves you a lot of time, money, and energy.
- Please have your company blog updated frequently with the latest news. It is the best way to add fresh content.
- Find out the hottest topic on seo blogs and write your article on that from a new point of view. This way, you can gain more attraction.
A few SEO strategies will help you get a higher ranking in search engines.
- Always remember that SEO and branding are different. Think from the side of the customers and select your keywords. Focus on what they are searching for, instead of what you want them to search for.
- Think like your customers and answer to yourself a few questions like how do they find your site? What search term will they enter? Does your site appear on the first page? If you need help with what keywords you should focus on? Answers to all these questions will help you achieve your target.
- Use free SEO small tools to get the statistics of your site frequently. It can tell you how much traffic is to your site and what keywords are driving more traffic. It will also help you to do future forecasts and make changes to your site accordingly.
- Answer your customer’s queries online. It will help to protect your business authority online and will have a direct impact on your business promotion.
- Have a mobile-friendly site and see-through that the page loads faster. Avoid using a lot of animation and flash on your site.
- Create local listings on social media sites and add your photos, videos, and links to your site. It’s essential to map your local online presence.
- Research your competitors and find out their marketing strategies. Try to list out their strengths and weaknesses. This way, you can improve your SEO.
- Use Robots.txt if you want a page to be blocked and not to be crawled by the search engine. Also, add a no-index tag.
- There are frequent updates in SEO technology. A yearly site audit will help you avoid issues and penalties. You can hire an SEO agency to do the audit for you.
- While Google is the first most significant search engine, YouTube is the second largest. Remember that videos often get greater visibility in Google rankings.
We have shared our fair share of SEO myths and SEO tips. Have you found any SEO strategy that will work for you?
All these SEO myths and SEO tips will help you grow your business online and reach your target audience more quickly.
This has been a guide to SEO Myths. Here we have discussed the basic concept, 8 SEO myths you need to beware of along with some major SEO tips to follow. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –