What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO) exactly?
- Search Engine Optimization(SEO). It is a mandatory marketing tactic that will help your website to gain a position in search engines.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) comprises of both technical and creative elements to improve ranking, drive traffic to your site and increase visibility in search engines.
- SEO is not about just creating sites that are search engine friendly but it’s about creating a user-friendly site.
- You would have heard about the terms of Search Engine Optimization(SEO) all the time but do you know the details of such terms of Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
This guide will help you to learn about all the areas of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) from finding the keywords to driving traffic to your site and gaining a higher rank in search engines. It will give you answers to the questions like
- How do you optimize your site for a search engine?
- How much to spend on Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
- What is a good SEO and what is a bad SEO?
Why is Search Engine Optimization (SEO) important for a website?
- Web traffic to a site is derived mostly by search engines. People search for a lot of things daily on search engines. Search engines help people find your site. If search engines cannot find your site then you will miss out on the opportunity to drive traffic to your site.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the tool in bringing such traffic to your site through search engines. If a site gets a lot of traffic it will provide exposure, profit, and publicity.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) can bring a lot of return on your investment when compared to other marketing techniques.
- Search engines are smarter and they update their technologies frequently to give better results to the searchers. To meet out these technologies SEO is important for your website.
- SEO brings more visitors to your site and grabs more attention. If the SEO is used correctly then it will take you to great heights in your business. In case you are using the wrong Search Engine Optimization techniques, it will bury your site completely so choosing the right search engine optimization techniques will help you to make the search engine crawl to your site easily and increase rank for the site.
- The use of the internet is increasing among people and as a result, there are a lot of companies that perform Search Engine Optimization (SEO). This will increase the number of competitors for your site in getting a higher ranking in search engines.
Search Engine Optimization Techniques
Following are some search engine optimization techniques that you should be aware of
1. Keyword research
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) begins when the words are typed into the search box of search engines.
- Keyword means the term people are searching for in search engines.
- Keyword research is one of the important factors in Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Right keywords can make your site stronger.
- By researching the keywords you come to know about the most demanded search engine optimization (SEO) keywords in your industry. It will also let you know about your customers in detail.
- Keyword research helps you in getting the right type of visitors to your site. It sounds so simple to do keyword research. But actually, it requires a lot of effort. There are a few search engine optimization (SEO) factors to be taken into consideration before identifying the keywords for your site. Search engine optimization (SEO) factors are discussed below.
- How many people are searching for a keyword actually? These statistics will help you to know the high-demand keywords.
- The more the keyword is searched, the more will be the audience for that keyword.
- If there is no volume for any keyword then avoid such keywords in your content.
- Even if the search volume for a keyword is high see through that the keyword is relevant to your business.
- Select a keyword by keeping your prospects in mind.
- There might also be few keywords that can indirectly relate to your business but are considered to be more important. Find such keywords and use them in your content.
Understand the competition for specific keywords in the search market. This will help you estimate the potential cost and likelihood of success.
Ask yourself a few questions like
- Is the keyword relevant to your site?
- Will the searchers get what they are looking for using these keywords?
- Will the keywords increase traffic to the site?
- Will you be able to get good returns by using such keywords?
- Who are your prospective customers?
- What are they interested in?
- What is their problem?
- From which geographical location they mostly belong to?
- Who are your competitors?
- What are your competitors’ keywords?
Once you get the answers to all these questions you will be able to derive at best keywords for your site.
There is also a lot of keyword tool available in the market to help you with keyword research.
2. On-Page Optimization
After deriving from a list of keywords the next step is to implement those keywords in your site’s content. Every page on your site should include the target keywords and keywords related to your industry. Let’s have a look at few of the On-Page factors which will drive traffic to your site.
The title tag is what appears at the top of the browser. You can include your keyword in the title tag. The title tag should not exceed 60 characters. The title tag is what the searcher sees in the search result for your page. So make it more attractive to the searchers.
A meta description is your site’s ad copy which will be displayed in the search result for your site. Include your keywords in the meta descriptions and make your description more compelling which will make the visitors click on your page.
Separate the contents into smaller sections and give headings for each. H1 tag is usually meant for mentioning the main title of the page. Other headings can be included under H2, H3, H4, and others. There should be only one H1 tag for a page. Make sure that the headings include relevant keywords.
This is the actual content of the pages of your site. It is a very important factor in increasing your page rank. Your content should not be focussed only on the search engines, you should also consider your visitors in mind while writing the contents. There are a few important things to have in mind while writing content
Avoid copying content from any other site or blogs. The longer the content the more it will drive traffic to your site. Add unique content and make sure that it is published first in your site. Check for plagiarism before updating the contents to your site.
Your content should make the visitors get more engaged with your site. Your content should answer all the questions of the visitors. Make your site pages load faster. Don’t include a lot of graphics and animation in your page. This will make the visitor lose interest in your site.
Have social network sharing buttons in each and every page of your site. When your content is shared it adds more value to your site. It will also let the search engine know that the pages of your site have some value to the visitors and thus, in turn, it increases the ranking of your page.
If you have added images to your site provide a text description for the image. This will be helpful for the users to read the description if they are not able to view the image. Apart from your content, the image description also helps the search engine to understand what the page is about. Don’t overstuff the keywords by using it in the image description. Just use appropriate words for the description. Also, give a file name for the image that is relevant to your content or business.
URLs also plays a crucial role in ranking factor. A good URL will be helpful for easy sharing and tracking. Keep these factors in mind while creating a URL.
- Avoid using extraneous characters
- URLs should be only in alphanumeric type
- Shorter URLs rank are better
- Instead of underscores use dashes
- Subdomains can rank better than subdirectories
Domain names with keywords related to your industry are more likely to gain higher ranking in search engines. Exact match domain names like Hotels.com for hotel industry will rank much better in the search engine. If most of the traffic to your site is derived from a search engine then the exact match domain will be the best choice for you.
- Sitemaps are like a roadmap for a search engine to easily crawl to the other pages of the site which remain undiscovered. There are two types of sitemaps – XML and HTML.
- XML sitemaps are coded for the search engines to read whereas HTML codes can be read by the people who use the site.
- XML sitemaps contain every page of your site even if it is in millions
- HTML sitemaps contain link to the most important page of your site.
A schema is a form of microdata that helps search engine crawlers to easily understand the information on your page. The schema elements can be added directly to your HTML code.
3. Site architecture
The right type of site structure can help boost your Search Engine Optimization (SEO) efforts and will influence the ranking of your page in search engines. The factors which comprise the site architecture includes the following
Search engine spiders crawl to the sites more quickly and make copies of your page and get stored in and that is called ‘index’.
Search engines crawl through all the pages of the site and if it finds that the information provided on the site is relevant and the best one then it will display it to the searchers.
Your site must be easy for the search engines to crawl. There are few search engine optimization techniques to make the search engine crawl to your site easily.
- Avoid using Java Scripts and flash in your site
- Use robots.txt
- Use internal links in the pages
- Tell search engines not to crawl certain pages of a site
- Use sitemaps
- Make site navigation easy
- Due to increased technology, a lot of searches happen on mobile devices than on desktops. As a result of this search engines are ranking mobile-friendly sites better than other sites that are not having a mobile-friendly design.
- Always remember ‘Search engine friendly’ also means ‘human-friendly
- If your site is mobile friendly then your chance of success in Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is higher
- It makes the visitors happy and converts them into customers
- It is, even more, better to have a mobile app for your website
- Search engines want to make the web a faster pace and as a result, they have included site speed as one of the important factors for ranking a website.
- Sites that load faster get a small ranking advantage over the other sites
- Speedy sites will attract the search engines as well as a lot of visitors to your site. It grabs their attention and makes them engaged in your site
Here are some articles that will help you to get more detail about Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and search engine optimization techniques so just go through the link.