Updated March 3, 2023
Differences Between Linux vs Mac
Though both Linux and Mac are the operating systems for computer devices, Linux is an open-source operating system that can be used on any device, and Mac is an operating system that can be used only on Mac devices. Linux acts as an operating system, a platform to run other system applications and a server unit. Whereas Mac is an operating system that allows other system applications to run on it.
What are Linux and Mac?
The defining component of a Linux distribution is the Linux kernel, an operating system kernel first released on September 17, 1991, by Linus Torvalds. Many Linux distributions use the word Linux in their name. Linux was originally developed for personal computers based on the Intel x86 architecture but has since been ported to more platforms than any other operating system. Because of the dominance of the Linux kernel-based Android OS on smartphones, Linux has the largest installed base of all general-purpose operating systems.
In 1984, Apple developed the operating system that is now known as the Classic Mac OS with its release of the original Macintosh System Software. The current Mac operating system is Mac OS, originally named Mac OS X until 2012 and then OS X until 2016. Developed between 1997 and 2001 after that Apple’s purchase of NeXT, Mac OS X brought an entirely new architecture based on NeXTSTEP, a UNIX system that eliminated many of the technical challenges that the classic Mac OS faced.
Linux includes many releases like Android, Arch Linux, Debian Linux, Gentoo Linux, kabunto, Mandriva Linux, PC Linux, Red Hat Linux, Sabayon Linux, Slackware, Suse Linux.
The first desktop version of Mac OS was released on March 24, 2001. Since then, several more versions adding newer features and technologies have been released. Since 2011, new releases have been offered on an annual basis.
- Mac OS X Lion– version 10.7, released in 2011
- OS X Mountain Lion– version 10.8, released in 2012
- OS X Mavericks– version 10.9, released in 2013
- OS X Yosemite– version 10.10, released in 2014
- OS X El Capitan– version 10.11, released in 2015
- macOS Sierra– version 10.12, released in 2016
- macOS High Sierra– version 10.13, released in 2017
Head to Head Comparison Between Linux and Mac (Infographics)
Below are the Top 5 comparisons between Linux and Mac:
Key Differences Between Linux and Mac
Some of the points are explained below that shows the Differences Between Linux and Mac:
- Linux open-source Operating system anyone can download it and changes the content as per the requirement and distribute.
- Mac OS is not an open-source operating system; if anyone wants to use Mac OS, he had to buy it .its; no one can change content as per their requirement as like Linux.
- Linux based driver is not available easily in the market because of its open-source. This creates problems to use a particular hardware device. It is an open-source company that does not create a driver for Linux as like Microsoft and Mac OS.
- Mac OS is not open source, so its drivers are easily available. Any kind of hardware device can easily be plugged into Mac computer due to the availability of all kinds of hardware drivers.
- Linux is an open-source operating system, so users do not need to pay money to use to Linux.
- Mac OS is a product of Apple Company; it is not an open-source product, so to use Mac OS, users need to pay money then the only user will be able to use it. Mac Computers are very expensive; this is one of the disadvantages of Mac OS.
- Support is one of an issue for open source product; Company which distributes the Linux makes money through the support.
- While in Mac OS support available Out of the box, you no need to worry about the support like Linux product because it is paid product.
- Linux Operating system is very secure; it is famous for its security
- Mac OS is also secure but not much as compared to Linux
- Linux is used as a server by most of the company because of its security and powerfulness; many companies provide support for Linux few of them are Red Hat, SUSE, CANONICAL.
Comparison Table Linux and Mac
Below is the comparison table between Linux and Mac.
|Definition||It is an open-source operating system||It is an operating system developed by Apple Inc|
|Usage||Linux is used as an operating system, as a server, provide a platform to run other application.||Mac is an operating system that provides a platform to run other application; it is used as an Operating system of Macintosh series computers.|
|Benefits||Linux is open-source; a developer can download and modify the kernel of it according to requirement can distribute, but having a restriction that can’t charge for the money.||Mac Operating system is simple but powerful. Graphical user interface Mac Provides easiness to use to users .fewer securities issues found in the mac.|
|Disadvantages||Driver issues are one of the biggest issues with the Linux operating system. To use any hardware device, it’s drivers required in the case of the Linux operating system; it may come as big problems due to no availability of drivers.||Mac computers are very expensive; this is the biggest disadvantage of it. The hardware upgrade is difficult on Mac computers .less games availability on Mac OS compared to Windows operating a system.|
|Developed Year||The first released of Linux has come in 1991||It was developed in 1984 to use as operating for Macintosh series computer.|
Linux is an open-source operating system that can be used without paying money if needs support, then you have to pay money to distributes of Linux, Provides facilities to change the content of Linux and redistribute, security features of Linux attracts the company to use it as the server that is the reason most of the companies uses Linux as their server. Distributes Companies of Linux provide support for this.
Mac OS is a product of Apple company for Macintosh series computer to use Mac OS you have to pay big Amount of money to buy, It is paid product so lost Out of box features and supported provided by the Company Having nice graphical user interface to use to individual users, Games, apps, applications available for use. it good for individual use; IOS development also is done on Mac OS.
Linux vs Mac both are an Operating system, Having its own importance, which one has to choose it depends on a requirement, In case of company server Linux general y Choose because of powerful security in case of individual use Mac OS will be good because of Out of box support and many apps.
This been a useful guide to the Differences Between Linux vs Mac. Here we have discussed Linux vs Mac head to head comparison, key difference, and infographics and comparison table. You may also look at the following article to learn more –