Updated June 12, 2023
Difference Between Python vs Go
Python is an object-oriented programming language, and Go, or Golang, is programming derived from the C language. Go is mainly used for system applications and programming, while Python is used for web-based applications and database applications involving data analytics & data science. Both Python and Go follow functional & procedural programming methods, where the difference is that Python is imperative & reflective, and Go is strong with concurrency features.
Head-to-Head Comparison Between Python vs Go
Below are the top 6 comparisons between Python vs Go:
Key Differences Between Python vs Go
Below are the key differences between Python vs Go:
- Python, a scripting language, must be interpreted, whereas Go is faster most of the time since it does not have to consider anything at runtime.
- Python is an excellent language with an easy-to-understand syntax and hence more readable and flexible. In contrast, Go is also in the prime league regarding clear syntax, which holds zero unnecessary components.
- Python does not provide a built-in concurrency mechanism, whereas Go has one.
- Regarding safety, Python is a strongly typed language that is compiled, adding a layer of security. In contrast, Go is very decent since every variable must have a type associated with it. It means a developer cannot ignore the details, leading to bugs.
- Python is less verbose than Go to achieve the same functionality.
- Python has many libraries compared to Go, but this situation with Go is gradually improving.
- Python still gains the upper hand regarding syntax and is thus user-friendly.
- Python is still a favorite language for solving data science problems, whereas Go is ideal for system programming.
- Python has dynamic typing, while Go has static typing that helps catch bugs simultaneously, reducing the likelihood of serious bugs later in production.
- Python is great for basic programming; using it can become complicated if one wishes to build complex systems. With Go, the same task can be accomplished rapidly without going into the subtleties of programming language.
- Python is more concise than Go. Dynamic typing helps; overall, one can also write compact code with Go.
Python vs Go Comparison Table
Below is the list of points; describe the comparison Between Python vs Go:
|Basis For Comparison||Python||Go|
|Paradigm||Object-oriented, imperative, functional, procedural, and reflective.||Procedural, functional, and concurrent.|
|Typed||Dynamically typed language.||Statically typed language.|
|Usage||Python is more focused on writing web applications.||Go is more focused on being a system language; still, it’s eating away Python’s share of web apps.|
|Memory||Python offers no memory management.||With Go, you can go dirty with memory management.|
|Syntax||The syntax uses indentation to indicate code blocks.||The syntax is based on the opening and closing braces.|
|Concurrency||Lacks inbuilt concurrency.||Concurrency is inbuilt.|
|Object Orientation||First-class Object Oriented programming, support for functional concepts.||Mild support for Object Orientation and functional concepts, but it is strongly typed.|
In a nutshell, both Python and Go have their own set of merits, depending on the programmer’s skill and ability to understand real-world requirements. Both Python and Go are clear and readable regarding syntax and reduce the programmer’s burden to a greater extent.
You can immediately install both Python and Go on any operating system, making them cross-platform languages. Python can be virtually utilized across domains like web development, animation, graphics, and machine learning. It is mainly used in data science and holds many libraries for scientific computing. There are a series of projects developed in Python. On the other hand, when it comes to networking services, Go has become a breather. It started as a system language, but over a period, it has built a reputation for networking services.
While learning computer-science fundamentals like algorithms and data structures, pseudo-code is heavily used; having a language like Python, which closely resembles to pseudo-code, is a big advantage that makes learning easier, Go on the other hand is blazing fast, easier to write, comes along with Go doc to automatically generate documentation making a programmer life easier than ever before.
This has been a guide to Python vs Go. Here we have discussed Python vs Go head-to-head comparison, key differences, infographics, and a comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –