Differences Between OS X vs Linux
OS X is the latest version of the Mac operating system which is full of many advanced features such as hardware interaction which is available in Apple Mac Book, this makes it a little different from Linux. Mac OS which has a very appealing user interface with much ease of use working style and on the other hand Linux which is known for its command-line interface, more popular for open source license that is very useful for the business world. Linux has a very strong community and has its various OS flavors for different purposes. Linux is similar to UNIX but not exactly UNIX.
Head To Head Comparison Between OS X vs Linux (Infographics)
Below Is The Top 9 Comparison Between OS X vs Linux
Key Differences Between OS X vs Linux
Here are some of the key differences between OS X vs Linux languages.
- Linux gives you the freedom to customize its code and make it according to your needs while OS X code is not available for code customization.
- When you use Linux you are free from surveillance, on the other hand, OS X monitors your activities up to some extent. So your secret will be safe with Linux.
- In OS X there is only one desktop environment for users but you can choose various desktop interfaces provided by Linux, for example
- KDE Plasma 5
- Linux OS is very stable in nature as it is free from the bug (It doesn’t mean Linux is out of bug but the problem in Linux is generally caused by some third-party tools) while OS X gets a regular update to make it free from bug and to make it stable.
- Linux is capable of reading data from other OS file system (It can read your hard drive if previously it was associated with OS X or other operating systems) while OS X is not capable of reading a file of other file systems.
- Update in Linux is real-time (it means you can parallel works wile update is going on) while in OS X you need to deal with multiple steps with a reboot.
- Linux doesn’t compel you to pay money when you use it, you are free to pay or not to pay and it means Linux is free but the same is not true for OS X.
Comparison Table OS X vs Linux
Below is the list of points, Describe the comparison Between OS X vs Linux
|Developer||Developed by Apple Inc||Linus Torvalds (main developer) and developer community worldwide.|
|License||Need to purchase license||Open source|
|Device Compatibility||Supports only those devices which are developed by Apple Corporation only but can be run on other by doing some hack.||Linux is supported by many devices and quite compatible for from low configuration devices to supercomputers|
|Customization||Restricted and limited options are available.||Fully customizable with many options. You can make it according to your need if you know Linux script.|
|Kernel||Based on UNIX||Not exactly UNIX but UNIX Like|
|Supported By||Apple Inc.||Developer Community worldwide|
|User-friendly||Very much user-friendly||Less user-friendly in comparison to OS X.|
Need to pay a good amount to use this OS.
|Free to use and a user is not bound to pay.|
|Uses||Only in those devices or application which is developed by Apple Inc.||Believe me or not but you anyhow have uses the devices those are running Linux.|
Conclusion – OS X vs Linux
OS X and Linux, this is a very hot topic today to discuss when the company or user wants to choose between OS X and Linux but things are not in black and white. In a business, world cost is the factor which affects the choice since keeping cost low to maximize the profit is the main concern.
4.5 (2,671 ratings)
If you look closely between comparisons of OS X and Linux then you will find that OS X is designed for devices that are manufactured by Apple for the Apple Inc. while Linux is useful for low configuration device and as well as for high configuration devices like supercomputers and web servers.
One of the main advantages of Linux for the business world is Open source nature of Linux which boost further experiment and development for multipurpose work, for example, Android OS which gained popularity for Mobile devices is based on Linux Kernel. While OS X is proprietary of Apple Inc. so whatever they create you will have to be with it there is no as such on demand they will create specially for you but if they will do, you will have to pay a very high price for your customization.
OS X is very much popular among people who like entertainment and very attractive graphic. Linux is also full of graphic but it is still behind OS X for this matter. In spite of being very costly, OS X supported devices are very popular and the reasons are vivid since Linux is a little bit tricky and even you need little technical knowledge to operate it to explore more. Since OS X is designed especially for a user who does not deal with technical things.
So who wins the debate? Well we can say for non-technical user OS X is always a good choice but if you are little economical and have some technical expertise then you will choose Linux as in upcoming year it will be more user friendly and my possible beat the OS X but recently OS X is popular for common man while Linux is rocking among business world and Techie.
This has been a useful guide to Differences Between OS X vs Linux here we have discussed their meaning, Head to Head comparisons, Key differences, and Conclusions. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –