Introduction to Unix
Unix Operating system developed by Dennis Ritchie, Ken Thompson, Brian Kernighan, Joe Ossanna and Douglas Mcllroy at Bell laboratory in the year 1970 is known for its capability to allow multiple users to work on it simultaneously by cultivating the principles of interoperability like POSIX and following the philosophies like single-purpose execution, standard interface operating only on text, core kernel coiling the Unix systems thereby allowing the systems and other processes and interoperable to a large extent.
Interoperability principles like POSIX and Single Unix specification came largely into play during the growing incompatibility between the systems.
The basic philosophies of systems are as below,
- One purpose execution
- A largely standardized interface which operates on text
- Coiling the Unix systems around core kernel which allows the system and various another process
- Largely Interoperable
- Unix File: A file from a perspective is a collection of information or data which is stored in the disk. Almost all data except the DB perspective are stored as its files. The LS command is used to display the files associated in a directory,
Eg: drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Apr 4 2018 Test.txt
-rw-r–r– 1 root root 3028 Apr 4 2018 Sample.conf
|drwxr-xr-x||Mode and access details associated with the file|
|3||Links in the file|
|root||Owner of the file|
|root||File group name|
|4096||Overall bytes in the file|
|Apr 4, 2018||Day of the month and year details|
- r: Permission only to read
- w: Permission only to write
- x: Permission to execute
- –: No permission
File Modes, To recognize drwxr-xr-x file mode it can be possibly divided into four key groups,
- group 1: d
- group 2: rwx
- group 3: r-x
- group 4: r-x
- Unix Directory: A directory is very much familiar to a folder in windows operating systems. Every directory is a collection of its files in most instances. The directories are mostly divided namely into two types,
- Root Directory: It is probably the parent directory for all the other directories
- Sub Directory: Any directory which stays under the root directory are called subdirectory. This directory can be renamed by the user.
What Unix can Do?
- For servers which are not acceptable for any chances of downtime can be updated inactive state without pulling them into a reboot process.
- For real thin clients, it allows the overall operating system being rebooted from the network.
- Allows multiple hosts to be logged in multiple times by multiple people concurrently.
- Allows multitasking with protected memory, so this allows concurrent users to run multiple programs at a parallel time without any system crash.
- A large number of programs can be easily executed with a self-effacing amount of memory. This clearly shows the amount of efficiency exhibited by the memory systems of Unix.
- Each and every user attempting to log in on to UNIX systems needs to be authenticated with a valid password and account.
- A large set of commands allows doing specific tasks well.
- The largely portable operating system which can be used across a large variety of systems
- Very much optimized program development environment.
- Cluster Management
- Server Build Activity
- Storage Management Part
- Escalation management
The audience for Unix
- Audience with interest to learn.
- Individual who aspire to Unix Administrator, Architect, Developer, Analyst, Scientist, Tester also relative professional roles.
- Helps to move forward the professional aspects and technical skill set of professionals who are intended to do the same.
- Candidates who are interested in pursuing a career in the Unix application development.
- Being versatile technology administrators play a good role in career perspective.
- Even Unix shell script developer play a decent role in the market from a career perspective of Unix systems.
- Promising progression in career perspective for existing professionals in these operating systems
- Some among the key job descriptions related to its systems are as below,
- Systems Engineer- Unix/Linux
- Software Engineer
- Unix/Linux Engineer Job
- System Administrator
On a finishing note, UNIX is definitely one among the high power operating systems running steadily in the market over a large period of time across various market needs and users. Definitely concurrency and security of access is one among the profound uses of systems. Though traveling through a long era of technology and developments need for this open-source OS remains salient and steady in the market at all possible means.
This has been a guide to What is Unix. Here we discuss the working, skills, career growth and advantages of Unix. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –