Updated March 22, 2023
Introduction to IoT Technology
IoT Technology is a network that connects all the physical components to the internet via routers to share the data. Internet application development is trending day by day which is used by a wide range of people in varied domains and purposes. Commonly, IoT enables remote access to the existing network set by different algorithm installation to reduce the human effort and makes things easier. This is a unique feature of IoT called automatic control of any device to access the system without any human intervention. In IoT, that is the Internet of things, ‘things’ are referred to as bag of the mixture with hardware components, software data and offered services. This device gathers information from various devices from existing technologies and exchanges the data between connected devices.
Why IoT Technology is been Invented?
IoT devices consist of sensors and processors of mini-computers to work on the data gathered by inbuilt sensors through machine learning. Usually, the IoT components are available as miniature set up pc connected to the internet but they are most prone to malfunction and hacking. Machine learning is a process when computers learn like a human by capturing the data from its environment which makes it smarter. The data enable the machine to know about the preference of the user and can modify accordingly. But this does not intend that smart television will not talk to you about your last day deal, but your refrigerator sends a notification to your smartphone that you’re running out of stock on milk and eggs for next day since it knows that you are close to grocery shop
Range of IoT Technology
There are several ranges in IoT technology which are to be discussed as follows:
- The radio-frequency identification system has a frequency range of 120–150 kHz applied from 10cm to 200m. these systems are deployed in Inventory, road tolls, and building access
- NFC is a Near field communication device that is a short-range wireless connecting device as the name suggests. At ranges less than 0.2m and mostly employed in smart cards, smart wallets, and action tags
- Bluetooth is a familiar device used for sharing data of data and ranges from 1 to 100m it operates at a frequency of 2.4GHz. It is mostly used in key dongles and fitness gadgets
- Wireless Fidelity which is popularly called WiFi is an electronic device that works based on high-speed internet connection within the local area network. It works at a frequency of 2.4GHz to 5GHz. It is employed in routers and tablets
- GSM Global System for Mobile Communication is an open digital mobile invention applied for the transmission of data services and mobile voice. GSM roaming services is also extended when service is not available in some parts of terrestrial regions. It operates till 850MHz with the data transmission rate of 9.6kbps deployed in smart meter and mobile phones
- RIOT OS is an operating system for the Internet of Things which is based on a microkernel and managed for energy efficiency, high modularity and hardware development. It supports IPv4 or IPv6 and operates on all platforms with high energy efficiency and it is built by standard programming language with 16 and 32-bit platforms.
- Some of the Cloud services based on IoT are ThingWorx which has a complete runtime and application design with an intelligent environment that allows creating an innovative solution based on the interconnection of people and system of things. Everything engine is an industrial technology that works on large-scale services and offers millions of services to create Active digital identities. Grok an Engine is a software that breaks all the challenges of IoT with unique capabilities with a high level of automation in finding the data, ability to learn from the data and takes suitable solutions by the output of the Grok model.
- Apart from these software and hardware networking components, there are many devices available in the market which is connected with IoT. They are ThingsSquare Mist is networking device operates on wireless technology with 16-32kb of RAM. Wireless SOC and prototyping boards and platforms are available as a hardware device in IoT.
Some of the advantages are given below:
- IoT technology made people’s lives easier and faster. It has a great part in time-saving in critical situations and made the people think differently and take corrective actions instead of playing with trial and error.
- People can easily access the information at their fingertips in real-time which is possible because of network devices and a person can get knowledge and work for his company from any part of the globe which makes him very comfortable to go about their job even if he is not physically present.
- Communication is made achievable for a network of interconnected devices which makes the communication devices more reliable and reduces inefficiency. Processes are assigned to the machine for better communication which made the system produce better and faster results. The best example of this system machines at the production unit.
- IoT helps people to complete their daily tasks to save money and time. Data transmission packets over an established network reduce time and money. The data is transmitted and received without any loss
- The automation task of IoT helps to increase the service quality and reduce human effort.
The smart city is another major implementation of the internet of things that is employed for smart surveillance, water distribution, automatic transportation, environment monitoring. People are prone to pollution, improper supplies and shortage of sources, and irregular traffic flow are solved by the installation of traffic sensors, and the app is developed to report the municipal systems. Citizens can able to diagnose simple malfunctions in meter and can report to electricity system via electricity board application or websites and they can also find available slot for vehicle parking easily in sensor systems and Another major application of internet of things is in healthcare is smart medical systems installed to diagnose and cure the disease at an earlier stage. Many machine learning algorithm is used in image processing and classification to detect the abnormalities of the fetus before birth.
This is a guide to IoT Technology. Here we discuss the introduction and several ranges in IoT technology along with the advantages of IoT technology. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –
- Common Challenges in IoT
- What is Salesforce IoT Cloud?
- Types of IoT Security Issues
- Types of IoT Protocols
- What is IPv6?
- What is Router?
- IoT Projects
- Top 12 Types of Sensors and their Applications
- Top 3 Disadvantages of IoT in Detailed
- What is IPv4? | Datagram Header of IPv4
- Top 5 Applications of IoT in Transportation