Introduction to IoT
IoT is a large network in which any computer or almost anything with an IP address is connected to the internet or to each other to automate tasks or restrict human intervention. The devices can be mobile phones, lights, watch, television sets, factory machines, automobiles, etc. That can have a computer chip configured along with software and electronic sensors embedded in it. With numerous advantages IoT provides, breach of privacy, over-reliance on technology, and job losses are three of the main concerns that accompany the Internet of Things. let’s see the IoT Disadvantages.
Below mentioned are the disadvantages of IoT:
1. Privacy Issue
- With the advancement in technology and social media, user’s data is always available on the internet and with the things being connected with the internet, hackers are provided with yet another tool to be able to break into the network and steal the information. One might want some space in life that is personal, so it’s not easy to always stay connected with family and friends and give them every aspect of our life operation. There is every possibility that your data can be misused.
- Several precautions and protocols have been implemented by cybersecurity organizations to prevent unauthorized access and misuse of personal data. However, there is always a loophole in the technology that can be exploited by hackers. For instance, a hacker group named anonymous broke into government databases and leaked classified information to the public.
- The highest level of security precaution considered by the government failed to protect the data and the security framework was infringed. Therefore, if all our information is stored on the internet, hackers can easily break into it, finding out all about people’s lives.
- The information they are given access to could also be misused by companies to exploit the users. This is a growing mishap happening all the time inside companies. For example, Google recently was accused of using private information provided by users for the company’s benefit.
2. Technology Over-Reliance
- Today’s generation has everything available and accessible on their fingertips. Whether it’s information from google or previous episode of Game of thrones one can easily access the data and media on the go. A simple math equation of adding and subtracting is accomplished through a ready-to-use calculator in our devices. With the advancement in IoT people are depending too much on technology to accomplish every day tasks such as turning the lights off or even driving the car.
- Few researchers claim IoT advancement will finally make a man unwilling to work or use any energy. Nevertheless, relying on technology on a day-to-day basis could lead to devastation by making decisions through the information it gives up. There is no robust, fault-free system. We see failures that are constantly occurring in technology, involving the internet in particular. The more we entrust and focus on the Internet, if we lose it, there will be more likelihood of a potentially negative scenario.
- Internet of things will eventually cause all the personal data one owns available on the internet and every other device interconnected to it. Everything a user does at home can be easily tracked. When one is getting up, sleeping, going to the office, moving inside or outside, IoT devices know all that, as well as those behind these devices and services (organizations).
- IoT devices work automatically, meaning they’re going to keep telling you until you’re not getting up or ready for the daily tasks. It means that IoT devices are going to tell you to do that or that. Devices will dictate your daily lifestyle and will control almost everything including food and liquid intake by regular alerts on your phone.
- More and more devices interconnected amongst themselves and to the internet will lead to a lower need for manpower and eventually loss of jobs. IoT and AI will promote automation of every work that requires manpower. Jobs like customer support are already automated and most of the work is performed by chatbots. Automation will have a devastating impact on low and medium-skilled workers.
- Jobs of the people who work in warehouses as inventory evaluators will be at stake because devices will not only be able to communicate with each other, they will also be able to update inventory information to the owner at regular intervals. Today we are seeing a decline in jobs because of robotic machines that operate automatically in the grocery checkout line and even ATMs.
- It is expected that current and future IoT technologies will fundamentally change business operations in nearly every sector. We can already see the impact of IoT on a multitude of sectors, and undoubtedly there are very compelling reasons to believe forecasts that in the not-too-distant future an increasing number of jobs will become redundant. Before we start to panic, it is important to realize that this fact is balanced by the growing need for people who have completely new skills to fill roles that are materializing in companies as a result of technological advances.
- According to research ‘Future of employment’ by Oxford University academics, estate agents, telemarketers, dental assistants, and chefs are among the top 15 positions most likely to be automated in the future. And this is just the start, as the Internet of things continues changing the way people conduct their daily lives, thus changing the way businesses are run.
Conclusion – IoT Disadvantages
Advancement in the Internet of Things will benefit human beings in many ways but everything comes with a cost. Security, over-dependency on technology and job insecurity are a few of the major disadvantages of the Internet of Things. With time and effort governments across the globe are working towards overcoming these disadvantages and utilizing the IoT to its full potential.
This is a guide to IoT Disadvantages. Here we discuss the three main concerns of IoT Disadvantages like Privacy Issue, Technology, Unemployment, etc. You can also go through our suggested articles to learn more –