Updated May 31, 2023
Introduction to HR Generalist
One of the most important designations amongst the HR profiles is the designation of an HR Generalist. The function of this designation is to manage the day-to-day activities of the HR operations. They also manage the PnP (Policies and procedures) and the organization’s programs. If you enjoy planning and developing the system, this is just the right job for you, or else you will not be interested in working as an HR generalist. Besides, even after not knowing the details of the employees, you should be interested in the personal development of the organization’s employees.
People employed under this designation are highly valued and receive various career opportunities to move upward within the HR functions as an HR generalist is performing a very skilled and very useful HR generalist job on a daily basis. HR generalists are expected to take on strategic responsibilities and improve organizational performance. The role is best suited for those with skills and interests in people management who can offer suggestions for enhancing employee effectiveness.
As the first point of contact for employee issues, HR generalists streamline human capital to help departments achieve their objectives. Their responsibilities range from organizational strategy design to day-to-day administrative tasks like correcting payroll errors and addressing employee queries.
Besides reporting to just a senior HR manager, an HR generalist also reports to the heads of all business departments or business units. It is supposed to handle almost all queries assigned to them; however, HR generalists seek help from HR specialists, such as staffing, organizational effectiveness, or compensation, when facing complex technical queries.
Required skills and qualifications of an HR generalist
To become anything in life, you need to have basic human skills as your specialty that you can sharpen or shape with the help of certain qualifications. Let’s first get to know if you have the required skills.
- Firstly you need to have a bachelor’s degree, or you might also require holding qualifications for an HR generalist. A degree specializing in HR is a good start to go with.
- You need to have previous experience as an HR generalist to demonstrate or display your skills better. You should have experienced similar to the required designation to understand and fit into the role.
- The HR generalist must analyze the situation and available information to communicate effectively with the chairperson and cleaning staff.
- The organization is essential for managing database filling and management efficiently daily.
- Methodical in your approach is very important as it will approach and solve the problem effectively.
- Amazing and excellent communication skills are required, both spoken and written, as you will communicate with employees on different levels.
- Knowledge of business laws and legislation related to employee rights is crucial for an HR generalist to ensure compliance with company policies and employee welfare.
- Software knowledge such as Microsoft Office, especially Microsoft Excel, and other software skills pertaining to the industry are extremely important.
Job Description of an HR Generalist
Below is the job description for an HR generalist.
- The first and most important HR generalist job is checking the logistics of staffing and recruiting employees for the organization.
- If you recruit new employees, you must have enough space to accommodate your staff effectively. So space planning is also a job role of the HR generalist.
- An important responsibility of an HR generalist is planning employee orientation, development, and training to enhance their professional and personal skills.
- An HR generalist’s important job areas are counseling employees, their wellness and safety, and employee welfare.
- They must actively participate in developing and implementing policy documents and creating handbooks for employee reference.
- They need to align, develop, and document the HR policies and procedures aligning with the company’s corporate vision.
- HR generalists must work closely with every department’s top managers to manage employee performance effectively.
- HR generalists must develop employee compensations and benefits based on company regulations and HR responsibilities.
- Generation of company communications needs to be done by the HR department and mostly the HR generalist.
- It is the key member of any company’s decision-making process, and employee communicator, and the originator of any written communications sent out to the employees.
To become an HR generalist, it’s essential to understand your job role and develop the necessary skills to handle the organization’s most important resource efficiently.
Choose the Right Qualifications
Usually, the qualification of the HR generalist job role differs from company to company. Some companies need a master’s degree, whereas some are ok with a bachelor’s. However, if you want to do something, you must be perfect. So let’s start with your high school studies.
Becoming an HR generalist is perfect if you have a humanity-based education, if the training is available in your high school, or if your high school offers you a specialization subject, nothing like it. Focus on subjects like psychology, as you need to understand human psychology to recruit and manage human resources efficiently. You need to have a good command of your language, that is, English; make sure you’re written and spoken English is good from the beginning. Good command of your language will help you coordinate with every level of employee in the organization. Taking up business as one of your specialization subjects will give you a good and better understanding of the internal functions and work culture of a company or an organization.
Degree and masters
A bachelor’s degree is mandatory for becoming an HR; most employers prefer a master’s degree. However, your bachelor’s degree needs a 4-year course specializing in human resources management, human resource management, and other related business fields. It needs to be multi-talented and needs to know or know all the fields such as accounting principles, employment laws, micro and macroeconomics, HR management and organizational behavior, business ethics, employee training, interpersonal communications, etc., and benefits. And an HR degree or a degree with an HR specialization includes all the required subjects and qualifications. Hence a degree or a master’s degree with an HR specialization is required and looked for in candidates. So now remember a four-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited college with related subjects is what you need.
Your next step will be as you complete your master’s degree. During your master’s degree, you will encounter an internship program where you can work with an organization and earn a sty pinned. Here you have an opportunity to know the working of an organization and deal with the employees of an organization. A very good opportunity that needs to be cashed and maximized because this is where you get a gist of the job role you will be performing.
Tips to Become an HR Generalist.
Some tips as you finish your HR degree now must take up a job in a professional human resource organization. This move will give you to strengthen your networks and also give you opportunities to develop your career. This might be one of your student’s chapters on your college campus, or you can arrange an individual membership. If you join a membership, you can also enquire about the special student rate. Secondly, you can take software training on human resources information systems or HIRS like the other fields, even HR is becoming extremely technical. When you apply for a particular HR designation, these tips can help you stand out from many candidates.
Get your work experience.
When you enter as a fresher or an intern in a company, you need to be willing and able to accept all the knowledge. Willingness is very important because you can learn much as a fresher, for you have much to learn. To start with, you need to understand how an organization functions. You also need to understand that an organization’s HR is extremely versatile, as each individual is different. It will help you learn how to handle an organization’s most sensitive and important resource. You also need to know the day-to-day activities of an HR generalist, starting from payroll and its benefits to hiring an overseas employee and training him. Make the most of your learning phase.
Complete your certifications
Some extremely prospective employers need HR certifications to recruit an HR generalist manager or an HR executive. Your certification can prove to these employers that you have achieved a particular level of expertise and experience in human resource principles. You can check with the Society for Human Resource Management, as they do offer 3 types of certifications. These certifications are
To attain and register for this certification, you must have a minimum amount of professional HR experience; it also varies with the type of HR generalist certification you have registered for and the level of education pursued. These certifications add value to your profession and keep you updated and in line with the latest laws, regulations, and studies of HR.
Advance your career opportunity
After securing a position with a good company, one would likely not want to remain an HR generalist; you want to grow to grow and grab the knocking opportunities you need to do something extra, something more to grow. Advance your career with a master’s degree in HR management. This degree focuses on a complete course of leadership and ethics of an organization, industrial relations, managerial communications, and, most importantly, organizational behaviors. Institutions also offer advanced instructions in financial management along with accounting practices. Completing your master’s in Business Administration or an MBA with an HR specialization offers you something close to the above course structure along with allocations of the company or organizational finances and structure of a company. Before you complete your master’s, you will have to submit a relevant project.
This career has immense growth and attains this growth, you must have relevant HR generalist knowledge, and life becomes easier and more successful here.
This has been a guide to HR generalists. Here we have discussed the basic concept, job description, skills, qualifications, and tips to become an HR Generalist. You may look at the following articles to learn more –