Updated April 27, 2023
Introduction to Human Resource Development Management
Human Resource Development Management is one of the essential resources for any organization and its development, that is if the organization is self-motivated and growth-oriented. Unlike the other essential resources that the organization works with, human resource is most potential and capable of helping the organization grow and develop in the right direction. Human resource is a collective term for a number of functions that guide the organization toward attaining value and organizational growth through its agency staff, employees, and vendors.
What is the Concept of Human Resource Development?
Human resource development Management identifies, nurtures, and uses the abilities of the employees working for the company. They are there to create a suitable climate for their people to help them and the companies develop. It creates a structure for helping employees develop their organizational and personal abilities, know-how, and skills.
The HR department of an organization that is growth-oriented creates opportunities for employees to know and develop their skills through employee training, the career development program of the employee, managing their performance, coaching monitoring, success planning, development, identifying key employees, giving tuitions for assistance, and the development of the organization.
Human resource development focuses on creating a beneficial work culture by developing a very efficient workforce so that both the organization and the employee obtain their career goals to serve their customers better.
Definition of Human Resource Development
Let us take the exact definition of Human resource development Management as it has been explained differently by different scholars and experts. M M Khan explains, “The idea of human resource development combines improving knowledge, skills, and constructive attitudes among all individuals working in a company activity at all levels.”
The above human resource development definition means the human resource department works on developing and increasing the knowledge, capabilities, and positive work attitude of all the employees working in the organization at all levels through different means and ways.
“Human resource development management is a series of organized activities, conducted within a specialized time and designed to produce behavioral changes.”
Even Mr. Nadler means that to develop human resources, the organization conducts continuous and ongoing activities that are specially timed and designed to create changes in the behavior of its employees effectively. Different experts will explain Human resource development in their own specified languages and their ways to make it simple and understandable for people and make the most out of the development programs provided by their organization for their organizational growth.
Perception and Intention of Human Resource Development
HRD is a continuous and planned manner in which the employees of an organization are guided to perceive the following points.
- To gain and polish their abilities required to execute different roles related to their existing and future job responsibilities to help them perform well.
- Human resource development helps employees develop their inner potential and learn new ones by exploring their capabilities for self and organizational development.
- It also develops the organizational culture in which the relationship between the supervisor and the subordinate contributes to collaboration amongst different units in the organization with teamwork and strong contribution to professional well-being by motivating the employees’ pride.
HRD has minimal definitions; however, it is a process to initiate, promote, and facilitate the process of human resource development mechanisms and techniques such as counseling, training, performance appraisals, and organizational development interventions in an ongoing manner.
Human resource development intends to create better employees by polishing their skills and helping them discover new ones. It provides training and coaching to employees to enhance their knowledge, skills, and potential; the goal is to improve their existing skills.
Human resource development and human resource management are both the same. There is confusion as both the terms sound the same, don’t they? Human resource development and human resource management are two different terms with little difference in understanding.
Both are very important parts of maintaining the human resources that are the organization’s employees. Each term and each part of the HR team have different motives and goals; however, they work to better the employee and the organization. Lets us have a quick look at the difference.
- It is related to the management and maintenance of the employees in the organization. In contrast, the Human resource development concept is more into the development part for the employees and the organization.
- It creates a separate, independent organizational structure that does not depend on any part of the organization. In contrast, the Human resource development definition develops an interdependent and related constitution, which means it cannot be an independent part of the organization.
- It focuses on improving the employee’s potential only, whereas the Human resource development definition focuses on enhancing the potential of both the organization and the employee.
- The responsibility of human resources management is to give the HRD responsibilities to a few personnel managers and the HRD department. In contrast, the burden of HRD departments is to provide HRD with a commitment to every manager at every level of the organization.
- It focuses on monetary rewards and incentives to motivate employees to help them perform better. In contrast, the Human resource development definition focuses on satisfying the employees’ high-order needs to help them achieve better in the organization.
Why is Human Resource Development Management Critical?
Any organization grows due to its highly efficient staff and their performances. The performance of every team in the organization will help in dynamic growth and development.
Hence to perform well, the organization needs to keep its employee’s morals and motives very high and robust. For such high morals and reasons, the employees need to undergo regular training and coaching programs organized by the company; along with training and coaching, the company needs to monitor their performances and developments continuously.
The human resource development concept adds to the benefit of the employee and the organization.
Functions and Features of HRD
One of the most critical functions of HRD is the development of human beings working in an organization; their concept covers both the employees and the organizational development. Take a close look at a few functions and features of the Human resource development definition.
- Their 1st motive is to develop an employee’s potential as an individual employee about their current and expected future goals.
- To develop the relationship between the subordinates and the supervisor to maintain team spirit and smooth work functioning within teams, inter-departments, and collaboration amongst different departments.
- The Human resource development definition also works towards the organization’s health, renewing capability that enables and increases the self-potential of the individuals working in an organization along with the performances of their teams and the entire organization.
- This team and department of the organization called the employees the human resources, also termed one of the organization’s essential resources.
- This system emphasizes the development of human resources to benefit the entire organization and its product.
- Develops and utilizes the individual capability to fully develop and benefit the employee and the organization.
- Develops relationships amongst colleagues along with interpersonal skills, building trust and confidence amongst each other and the organization.
- They develop and promote team spirit so that the employees working in teams as individuals alone cannot run the organization; the work needs to be executed in teams.
- Creates and develops a healthy work atmosphere for the individuals in the organization, along with developing their competent skills at the organizational level.
- It creates collaboration amongst subsystems as Human resource development management is a vast system with several functional subsystems that it functions with.
- It aims to develop a sense of responsibility amongst employees and create good relationships between seniors and subordinates by qualitatively motivating them.
- It develops individual employee, interpersonal, team, and organizational competencies to meet organizational goals.
- Human resource development concept of inter-discipline of concepts such as economics, psychology, sociology, ideas, principles, etc.
- Its motive is to examine and identify the employee’s needs and try to meet them in the best way to maximize employee welfare and quality of work life.
- HRD believes in a continuous and systematic learning process and monitoring the progress with the help of different assessments and tools.
Now that the concepts of Human resource development definition are a little clear let us look at how it benefits an individual and the organization.
Advantages of Human Resource Development Management
A system that focuses on developing one of the most important resources of the organization has many benefits. Take a look at these human resource development benefits to maximize your knowledge of Human resource development definition.
- HRD focuses on an employee’s competencies by developing their existing skills and helping them develop new skills, attitudes, and know-how of the people in the particular organization.
- An accessible performance system is formed to assess the employees based on their performance and rate them accordingly; this keeps them more committed to their jobs.
- It enables the employee by creating an atmosphere of trust, confidence, and respect for the employees in the organization.
- HRD creates an atmosphere where the employees would accept change challengingly.
- It benefits the employee with the power of problem-solving ability positively.
- Generates new values with the openness of the behavior of the employees.
- HRD focuses on the overall improvement of the employee along with improving the organization’s team spirit.
- Benefits in creating organizational effectiveness along with efficient work culture in the organization.
- HRD focuses on maximizing the available resources to achieve goals appropriately, minimizing losses, and maximizing profits by avoiding wastage.
- The system motivates the workers to participate in the organization by increasing their participation ability; the employees participate freely without hesitating; this gives them the feeling of achievement and satisfaction as they perform their jobs. This increases their efficiency and helps them perform better.
- HRD collects valuable data for employee management on their policies and programs; it helps build better human resource planning. Data is an instrument that will always go right and guide your right; hence maintaining and materializing data for your analyses is very important.
- This system gives the employees recognition and a reputation, which helps them by giving them the confidence to face the challenges in the organization today and even in the future.
- It focuses on the organization’s overall development: the employee, the teams, and the organization.
- It gives HRD responsibility to the managers of every level of every department to build an efficient resource for the organization.
- Creates value for both the employee and the organization.
It is a very important responsibility for the HRM of the company. It is divided into several subparts and gives the responsibility of the Human resource development concept to each level of management in each department of the organization. It is a process of promoting human resource development management mechanisms and techniques such as training and counseling to promote, facilitate, and initiate this process.
This is a guide to Human Resource Development Management. Here we have discussed a brief overview. perception and intention, important functions, along with advantages. You may look at the following articles to learn more –