Updated June 22, 2023
Introduction to GUI Testing Tools
GUI Testing Tools are the tools used for verifying and validating the graphical user interface of the software application for its cosmetic appearance, and functional and non-functional properties of the application. The testing and defect life cycles are similar to any other testing method applied to software applications. Some of the widely used tools in the software industries are SWTBot, Selenium, Test Studio, TestComplete, TestPartner, QF-Test, RCP Testing Tool, Telerik, Tellurium, Watir, coded UI, cucumber, Smartbear LoadUI, QAliber, GTT, IcuTest, Test Anywhere, Test Studio, RIATest, SilkTest, CubicTest, Ranorex, CrossBrowserTesting, Abbot Java GUI Test Framework, AutoIt UI Testing, eggplant UI Automation Testing, FitNesse, etc.
Top 10 GUI Testing Tools
Several GUI Testing tools are available in the market for the graphical Testing of an application.
Some of the top 10 commonly used GUI testing tools are given below:
- Ranorex is a commercial tool used for the automation of WebUI.
- It helps to create customizable reports according to the requirements of the tester/ programmer.
- It allows easy integration with tools like JIRA, testrail, Git, etc.
- It provides an easy interface to use for newbies with no coding background.
- It helps in the parallel execution of test cases with the Selenium grid’s help, as it has a built-in Selenium Webdriver.
- It allows object identification with dynamic IDs.
- It also allows the unique feature of video reporting of the results of test case execution.
- Ranorex reduces the efforts required to automate and execute the test scripts of an application, allowing the user to focus more on the application quality than any other task.
2. SmartBear CrossBrowser Testing
- It is a commercial tool available in the market for GUI testing.
- CrossBrowser provides cloud support and helps test applications across browsers like Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, etc.
- It allows Testing on multiple mobile and desktop devices.
- It allows the test scripts to run parallelly on multiple browsers with high efficiency to reduce the time in the execution of test cases.
- It allows visual Testing easy with screenshots, just like scanning a page.
- It generates a single cross browsers report which provides all the necessary information.
- AutoIt is a freeware scripting-like language that is used for automating the GUI of Windows applications.
- It is a commercial tool available in the market.
- It uses the combination of keystrokes, controls, and the movement of a mouse for automation purposes.
- One of the enhanced features of AutoIt is that it allows using complex expressions and is compatible with almost all versions of Windows.
- It allows the automation of various tasks by writing simple scripts.
- It is highly known for its accuracy in executing automated scripts.
- Scripting languages used to automate a task in AutoIt are C# and Visual Basic.
- AutoIt allows the facility of Recorder, which records the steps and generates the scripts automatically. These scripts can further be playback according to the requirements.
- Using the separate GUI functions, we can create a GUI, like an input box, labels, etc..
- AutoIt helps in the maximum code coverage of an application.
- AutoIt helps in calling the DLL files and API directly using the predefined functions. Users can also perform various functions on Windows API.
- It helps to run the external program with the external users using the inbuilt RunAs function.
- TestPartner is an automation testing tool for GUI applications from Micro Focus.
- It is so easy to use that it even allows non-technical people to use it without issues.
- It provides access to Visual Basics to applications for automated testing experts (developers and testers).
- The Visual Navigator facility allows previewing the Screen and taking screenshots of an application to be automated at multiple points.
- It provides strong integration with Testing, which helps improve the balance of cost, schedule, etc.
- Squish is the commercial and cross-platform tool available for the GUI Testing of applications.
- It has the special feature of record and playback test scripts which is very helpful while testing.
- It allows property verification, capturing of screenshots, images, etc.
- Squish IDE is based on Eclipse and provides an outstanding test case management and object spying environment.
- It can test Android, Windows, iOS, and Mac devices.
- It allows Behavior Driven Development and helps to control the whole testing through the command line.
- It allows us to execute the batch of scripts and helps to log test results.
- It allows integration with the latest tools, CI/CD, and Test Management tools.
- Selenium is one of the most common and widely used functional and UI testing tools.
- It supports parallel Testing on various web browsers like Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, IE, Safari, etc.
- Test scripts for GUI Testing in Selenium can be written in various languages like Python, Java, C#, etc.
- It provides a special facility for recording and playing, which helps perform the UI tests.
- Executing the test scripts in Selenium assures Synchronization. As the UI Testing is asynchronous, using Selenium for Automation Testing ensures that the execution is moved to the next page once the current page is loaded properly.
- It allows adding the verifications through assertions for which inbuilt functions are available in Selenium.
- TestComplete is a commercial tool that Smartbear Software develops.
- Many users widely use it for automating functional GUI, mobile, and web applications.
- It offers the features of recording and playback manual test scripts.
- TestComplete stands out among automation tools due to its affordability, making it a cost-effective choice compared to other alternatives.
- It supports a wide range of Testing like keyword-driven, data-driven, database testing, etc.
- It provides the functionality to the user to create their plugins with wide support.
- People widely use SilkTest for application regression and UI Testing
- SilkTest is a commercial tool big enterprises use for UI and functional testing.
- It provides excellent support for a number of Operating Systems like Windows, Linux, Solaris, etc.
- It has a special feature of keyword Testing, which automatically reduces time efforts by creating the test design.
- It supports various browsers for Testing like Chrome, IE, Firefox, etc.
- SilkTest has 2 components, Silk Test Client and SilkTest Agent. Later one is responsible for translating GUI commands from Script commands.
- SilkTest is a well-known tool for its speed, i.e., faster execution of test cases.
9. Telerik Test Studio
- Users employ Telerik as a Windows-based software Testing Tool for load, functional, mobile application, and GUI testing.
- It has a special feature of record and playback test scripts which is very useful for testing.
- It supports many browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.
- TestPlant designed eggPlant, a commercial test automation tool utilized for GUI Testing.
- eggPlant is considered to be a nice tool for organizations having very complex applications to test.
- It uses the image processing approach for GUI Testing of any application, be it Android, iOS, web, or desktop, just like normal humans.
- One of its most important features is the keyword Testing approach, which helps create test cases using an eggDrive interface.
- Test scripts in eggPlant can be written in any language like Java, Ruby, C#, SenseTalk, etc.
- Integrating eggPlant with tools like Jenkins for CI/ CD Testing process is easy.
- eggPlant also provides an integrated development environment for debugging problem areas if found in functionality, UI, and performance issues.
- Its flexible licensing policy makes it perfect for an organization’s developers and testers.
As per the requirements and to have a great impression on the user, GUI Testing has become an essential part of any software application. Though there are many UI automation Testing tools available in the market, right selection of Testing tools depends on the project’s specific requirements and the project budget. Every tool has some special features which attract companies and organizations to use it. Nowadays, very interactive and user-friendly tools are available in the market so that even a non-technical person having no coding background can use them according to their requirements.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “GUI Testing Tools” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information.