Introduction of GUI Testing Tools
GUI Testing Tools are the tools used for verifying and validating the graphical user interface of the software application, for its cosmetic appearance, functional and non-functional properties of the application. The testing life cycle and defect life cycle are similar to any other type of testing methods applied on the software applications. Some of the widely used GUI Testing tools in the software industries are SWTBot, Selenium, Test Studio, TestComplete, TestPartner, QF-Test, RCP Testing Tool, Telerik, Tellurium, Watir, coded UI, cucumber, Smartbear LoadUI, QAliber, GTT, IcuTest, Test Anywhere, Test Studio, RIATest, SilkTest, CubicTest, Ranorex, CrossBrowserTesting, Abbot Java GUI Test Framework, AutoIt UI Testing, eggplant UI Automation Testing, FitNesse, etc.
GUI Testing Tools
There are a number of GUI Testing tools available in the market for the graphical Testing of an application. Some of the top 10 commonly used GUI Testing tools are given below:
- Ranorex is a commercial tool used for the automation of WebUI.
- It helps to create customizable reports according to the requirements of the tester/ programmer.
- It allows the easy integration with tools like JIRA, testrail, Git, etc.
- It provides an easy interface to use for newbies with no coding background.
- It helps in the parallel execution of test cases with the help of the selenium grid as it has built-in Selenium Webdriver.
- It allows object identification with the dynamic IDs.
- It also allows the special feature of video reporting of the results of test case execution.
- Ranorex reduces the efforts required in automating and executing the test scripts of an application and hence allows the user to focus more on the application quality than any other task.
2. SmartBear CrossBrowser Testing
- It is a commercial tool available in the market for GUI testing.
- CrossBrowser provides cloud support and helps in the Testing of applications across various browsers like Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, etc.
- It allows Testing on multiple mobile and desktop devices.
- It allows the test scripts to run parallelly on multiple browsers with high efficiency in order to reduce the time in the execution of test cases.
- It allows visual Testing easy with the use of screenshots just like scanning a page.
- It generates a single cross browsers report which provides all the necessary information.
- AutoIt is a freeware scripting like language which is used for automating GUI of windows applications.
- It is a commercial tool available in the market.
- It uses the combination of keystrokes, controls, and movement of a mouse for the automation purpose.
- One of the enhanced features of AutoIt is that it allows using complex expressions and compatible with almost all versions of Windows.
- It allows automating various tasks by writing simple scripts.
- It is highly known for its accuracy in executing the automated scripts.
- Scripting languages used to automate a task in AutoIt is C# and Visual Basic.
- AutoIt allows the facility of Recorder which records the steps and generates the scripts automatically. These scripts can further be playback according to the requirements.
- We can create a GUI like input box, labels, etc using the separate GUI functions.
- AutoIt helps in the maximum code coverage of an application.
- AutoIt helps in calling the DLL files and API directly using the predefined functions. Users can also perform various functions on Windows API.
- It helps to run the external program with the external users using the inbuilt RunAs function.
- TestPartner is an automation testing tool for GUI applications from Micro Focus.
- It is so easy to use that it even allows the non-technical person to use it without any issue.
- It provides access to Visual Basics to applications for the experts in automated Testing (developers and testers).
- It allows the Visual Navigator facility in which the Screen is previewed, it takes screenshots of an application to be automated at multiple points.
- It provides strong integration with Testing which helps in improving the balance of cost, schedule, etc.
- Squish is the commercial and cross-platform tool available in the market for the GUI Testing of applications.
- It has the special feature of record and playback test scripts which is very helpful while testing.
- It allows the property verification, capturing of screenshots, images, etc.
- Squish IDE is based on Eclipse and hence provides an outstanding environment for test case management and object spy.
- It can perform testing on Android, Windows, iOS, Mac devices.
- It allows the Behavior Driven Development and helps to control the whole testing through the command line.
- It allows us to execute the batch of scripts and helps in the detailed logging of test results.
- It allows integration with the latest tools of CI/CD and Test Management tools.
- Selenium is one of the most common and widely used Testing tools for functional and UI testing.
- It supports parallel Testing on various web browsers like Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, IE, Safari, etc.
- Test scripts for GUI Testing in Selenium can be written in various languages like Python, Java, C#, etc.
- It provides the special facility of record and play which is very helpful while performing the UI tests.
- Executing the test scripts in Selenium assures Synchronization. As the UI Testing is asynchronous but while using Selenium for Automation Testing ensures that the execution is moved to the next page once the current page is loaded properly.
- It allows adding the verifications through assertions for which inbuilt functions are available in Selenium.
- TestComplete is a commercial tool that is developed by Smartbear Software.
- It is widely used for automating functional, GUI, mobile and web applications.
- It offers the features of record and playback of manual test scripts.
- One of the plus points of TestComplete is that it is very cheap in comparison to the other automation tools.
- It supports a wide range of Testing like keyword-driven, data-driven, database testing, etc
- It provides the functionality to the user to create own plugins in order to have wide support.
- SilkTest is one of the most widely used tools for the regression and UI Testing of applications.
- SilkTest is a commercial tool used by big enterprises for UI and functional testing.
- It provides excellent support for a number of Operating Systems like Windows, Linux, Solaris, etc.
- It has a special feature of keyword Testing which helps in reducing time efforts by creating the test design automatically.
- It supports various browsers for Testing like Chrome, IE, Firefox, etc.
- SilkTest has basically 2 components, Silk Test Client and SilkTest Agent. Later one is responsible for translating GUI commands from Script commands.
- SilkTest is one of the tools which is very well known for its speed, i.e. faster execution of test cases.
9. Telerik Test Studio
- Telerik is a Windows-based software Testing Tool that is used for load testing, functional testing, mobile application testing, and GUI testing.
- It has a special feature of record and playback of test scripts which is very useful for testing purposes.
- It provides support to a wide range of browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.
- eggPlant is a commercial test automation tool used for GUI Testing and is designed by TestPlant.
- eggPlant is considered to be a nice tool for the organization having very complex applications to test.
- It uses the image processing approach so it can be used for GUI Testing of any application be it Android, iOS, web, the desktop just like normal human beings.
- One of the most important features it provides is the keyword Testing approach which helps in easy creation of test cases using an eggDrive interface.
- Test scripts in eggPlant can be written in any language like Java, Ruby, C#, SenseTalk, etc.
- It is easy to integrate eggPlant with tools like Jenkins in order for CI/ CD Testing process.
- eggPlant also provides an integrated development environment for the debugging of problem areas if found in functionality, UI and performance issues.
- Because of its flexible licensing policy, it is very good to use for both developers and testers in an organization.
Conclusion – GUI Testing Tools
As per the requirements and in order to have a great impression on the user, GUI Testing has become an important part of any software application. Though there are many UI automation Testing tools available in the market right selection of Testing tools depends on the specific requirements of the project and the project budget. Every tool has some special features which attract the companies and organizations to use it. Nowadays, very interactive and user-friendly tools are available in the markets so that even a non-technical person having no coding background can use them according to their requirements.
This is a guide to the GUI Testing Tools. Here we discuss the introduction and top 10 GUI Testing Tools which include Ranorex, SmartBear CrossBrowser Testing, AutoIt, and TestPartner, etc. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –
- Compatibility Testing
- AngularJS Unit Testing
- Negative Testing
- GUI vs CLI
- Code Coverage vs Test Coverage | Top 4 Differences to Learn
- Code Coverage Tools | Top 6 Code Coverage Tools
- Application Testing | Types | Tools | Levels
- 6 Stages of Automation Testing Life Cycle
- Top 6 Comparison of Load Testing vs Stress Testing