What is ASP.NET?
An open source web application framework developed by Microsoft in web development design is ASP.Net. The application is developed on the server side and helps in making dynamic web pages. ASP.Net is written in .Net languages and has Apache license. It operates in Windows, Linux and MacOS. It uses HTTP commands and works with HTTP protocol to have a proper communication of browser and server level. It simplifies the working of websites and applications as it builds a library of many codes and tools. We can use ASP.Net for front end and back end development.
ASP.NET is totally different and unique as compared to its predecessor in two major ways:-
- It supports code written in a compiled language such as visual basic, C#, C++ & Perl.
- Allowing WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editing of pages, its features server controls can separate the code from the content.
- ASP.NET executes a web page using the object-oriented programming approach. Every element in asp.net is an object which runs on the server. A .NET Common Language Runtime-compliant compiler complies a .NET web page into an intermediate language, then a JIT compiler converts the intermediate code to native machine code, and this machine code is eventually run on the processor.
- For an ASP.net developer, it’s very important to understand the ASP.NET page life cycle and ASP.NET application life cycle. It’s very much important to know how the request is being processed using IIS and how the web page is being processed and getting served to the user.
- As developer needs to buy expensive software (called Integrated Development Environments, or IDEs) in order to build application, Development & software cost is a much important factor to consider when making a website or web application. Not only this, ASP.NET applications can be accessed with all of the popular databases, MySQL, MariaDB, Postgres, Microsoft SQL Server, CouchDB, and MongoDB. Low cost, High Speed and vast language support are among the most significant benefits of using Asp.NET.
How does ASP.NET make working so easy?
ASP.net gives us the feasibility of doing multiple tasks using a single framework which makes it better as compared to other web development framework. Some of its features are such as :
- Standard Compliance
- Browser capability detection
- Style properties on the control
- Control Adapters
- Page and control callbacks
- Reliability and Performance
- Long Running Requests (>110 seconds)
- Asynchronous Page Events with Web Forms
- Request Entity Body
- Fire-and-Forget Work
- EnableViewState and ViewStateMode
- Redirect and Response.End
- Medium Trust
- Request Validation
- Cookieless Forms Authentication and Session
Working of ASP.NET
ASP.NET-Workflow can be explained using the following diagram with detail explanation.
- Through an URL a request is sent for an asp.net file by a web browser to the web server.
- As a process, the request is received by the asp.net web server i.e IIS which in return gives the appropriate file from the memory.
- Now for processing of asp.net file, it is redirected to asp.net script engine for the further task by the web server.
- The script engine runs the server side script it encounters from top to bottom of the file.
- After the script engine completes the server side scripting, it sends an html page to the web server.
- It is explained through the model given below.
Advantages of ASP.NET
With the perspective of asp.net developer, Some biggest advantages of using asp.net are :
- Coding time is much less in asp.net framework technology.
- It performs better out of the box.
- Applications built in asp.net framework are too secure.
- Visual Studio, a framework for asp.net has complementary design and rich toolbox.
- ASP.NET provides continuous monitoring.
- With asp.net, deployment is easier than ever.
- It’s easier to write and maintain pages.
- ASP.NET runtime closely manages and monitors all processes
Skills required for ASP.NET
Essential skills required for asp.net are:
- Must have asp.net MVC knowledge.
- Database application – must have SQL database knowledge.
- Must know client-side web development technologies.
- Understanding of OOP (Object Oriented Programming).
- Experience in VB.Net, C#, MVC & more.
Scope of ASP.NET
Future of ASP.NET technology is very bright and great in accordance with coming 20-25 years as it has become today’s leading platform for web development. As the .net core is open source and it is really growing rapidly, we can say it has a very vast and developing scope in future. Not only this may companies, but organizations and technocrats are also using asp.net technology for web development as Microsoft has a really good strategy for .net development in the future.
Who is the right audience for learning ASP.NET technologies?
Right Candidate for asp.net technology should possess the following skills :
- He should have deep knowledge of asp.net core framework.
- He should be able to make difference between .net and .net core skills.
- He must know languages such as C#, visual basics, F#, C++, etc.
- He should know communication framework such as WCF, ASP.NET Web API, 1-2, Web Services.
How this technology will help you in career growth?
With new advancement and development in asp.net technologies managed by Microsoft, it makes it evergreen for a candidate to pursue their career in asp.net technologies. The future for this twelve-year-old company seems to be very enlightened in future, so one can take this language as their career option in IT field as it is aided by Microsoft, so there is no chance that asp.net technology will be out of the market in future.
ASP.NET makes the internet as a software platform much easier to manage web programming. Asp.net technology gives us full freedom to control our development and can be used anywhere, whether it is a small or big project. As it is managed by Microsoft, it can never be yesterday’s technology as Microsoft has invested a lot in its development and community. So as a whole, we can say ASP.NET will undoubtedly be the tool of choice for most Web developers for the next five to ten years.
This has been a guide to What is ASP.NET. Here we discussed the working, career growth, skills, and advantages of ASP.NET. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –