Updated June 8, 2023
Overview of ETL Testing Tools
ETL Testing Tools are used for testing the ETL flow, that is, the Extract, Transform & Load processes in a Data Warehouse system. For manually testing an ETL process, SQL query testing is the commonly chosen method, which is a tedious process, time-consuming work, and defect slippage can be high. Hence an ETL testing tool is recommended, which can provide complete test coverage, be automated without any manual interference, and include all the repetitive testing flow. Informatica Data Validation, Data-Centric Testing, SSIS Tester, QuerySurge, TestBench, RightData, etc., are famous ETL Tools.
As already stated, ETL is known to be the three main database features: extraction, transformation, and loading.
- Extraction: It reads the data from the database.
- Transformation: Convert the stored data into the form required to be stored in a different database.
- Loading: Writing of the information in the target database.
ETL Testing Tool Process
ETL Testing Tools Process is similar to another testing process, including some stages.”
- Identifying business requirements
- Test Planning
- Designing test cases and test data
- Test execution and bug reporting
- Summarizing reports
- Test closure
Top ETL Testing Tools
The following are the various testing tools for ETL:
QuerySurge is an RTTS-developed solution for ETL testing. It is specially designed to automate data storage and big data testing. It guarantees that in the target schemes, too, information obtained from sources remains intact.
Features of QuerySurge:
- Improve the quality of data and data governance.
- Speed up your data transmission cycles.
- With this automation, manual testing becomes easy.
- It provides Testing on various platforms, such as Oracle, Amazon, IBM, Teradata, and Cloudera.
- It increases testing speed and provides information coverage up to 100 percent.
- It includes a DevOps solution off-the-box for most construction, ETL, and QA software management
- Provide shared, automated email reports and dashboards for information safety
2. Informatica Data Validation
Informatica Data validation is one of the most powerful tools. Integrates repositories and integration services with Power Center. It allows developers and company analysts to develop guidelines for testing the mapped information.
Features of Informatica data validation:
- Informatica Data Validation offers full data validation and data integrity solutions.
- Identifies and avoids information problems and improves company productivity.
- Informatica Data validation also includes design and query snippets for reuse.
- This ETL Testing tool can analyze millions of columns and rows within minutes.
- It helps to compare the source and data storage data with the target data warehouse.
- It can provide informative reports, results for automation, and updated reports.
QualiDi allows customers to cut expenses, increase their ROIs and speed up market time. Every element of the test cycle is automated in this ETL tool. It allows customers to decrease expenses, attain greater returns and speed up market time.
Features of QualiDI:
- It provides data traceability based on requirements for a target database.
- It supports faster project delivery and functionality.
- The centralized repository provides easily maintainable storage for requirements, test cases, and test results.
- QualiDI makes sure that more defects are. Are detected at the initial phases; hence the cost of testing during production support will be less because there will not be more bugs or defects.
- It supports Data validation.
- Reports and dashboards help in managing test cycles.
- Integrated defect tracking and monitoring that interfaces with a defect tracking tool.
- Test execution results, and reports are available with a click on the dashboard.
- It promotes agile development and fast sprint delivery.
The design aims to automate the testing of data migration and data production. It allows users to identify all kinds of information problems during ETL procedures. iCEDQ carries out verifying, validating, and reconciling the source and target system.
Features of ICEDQ
- ICEDQ can read the data from any file or database.
- It can match memory information based on single columns.
- It identifies incorrect information based on comparison and expression assessment.
- After execution, it sends warnings and notifications to the subscribed consumers.
- Web Services and Interface of Command Line
5. Data Gaps ETL Validator
Data gaps ETL Validator is an ETL testing tool for the data warehouse. It simplifies the testing of projects for data integration, data migration, and data warehouse. It has an embedded ETL engine that can compare millions of documents.
Features of ETL Validator:
- Sets rules for validating data automatically for each input column of the file.
- It helps to assemble and schedule the test plan.
- It provides the users a scheduling Capabilities.
- It supports Data Integration and Data Quality Testing.
6. Data-Centric Testing
The data-centric tester tool validates robust data to prevent failures during conversions, such as data loss or inconsistency. It compares data between systems and ensures that data loaded into the target system matches the source system precisely regarding data volume, data type, format, etc.
Features of Data-Centric Testing:
- Data-Centric tests are designed for ETL tests and data storage tests.
- It supports different relationship databases, flat files, etc.
- The automated data validation method produces SQL queries that reduce costs and effort.
- It compares heterogeneous databases such as Oracle & SQL Server and guarantees that the information is in the right format in both applications.
SSISTester is the framework that makes unit and integration testing of the ETL process. SSISTester has a great user interface that monitors test executions in real time. In SSISTester, implementing tests is easy as it provides an intuitive way to access database resources, packages, etc. It comes with a built-in project template. Parameters of tests like the currently executed test, errors in the test, and results are provided by SSISTester. Test results can be exported to the HTML. It allows you to save and send test results easily.
This has been a guide to ETL Testing Tools. Here we have discussed the basic concept, process, and top ETL testing tools with their features. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –