Overview of ETL Testing Tools
ETL Testing Tools are used for testing the ETL flow, that is, the Extract, transform & Load processes in a Data Warehouse system. For manually testing an ETL process, SQL query testing is the commonly chosen method, which is a tedious process, time consuming work and defect slippage can be high. Hence an ETL testing tool is recommended, which can provide complete test coverage, automated without any manual interference, and can include all the repetitive testing flow. Informatica Data Validation, Data Centric Testing, SSIS Tester, QuerySurge, TestBench, RightData, etc are the famous ETL Tools.
As already stated, ETL is known to be the three main database features such as extraction, transformation, and loading.
Extraction: It read the data from the database.
Transformation: Convert the stored data into the form required to be stored in a different database.
Loading: Writing of the information in the target database.
ETL Testing tool Process
ETL Testing Tools Process is similar as like another testing process and with that, some stages include”
- Identifying business requirements
- Test Planning
- Designing test cases and test data
- Test execution and bug reporting
- Summarizing reports
- Test closure
Top ETL Testing Tools
The following are the various testing tools for ETL:
QuerySurge is an RTTS-developed solution for ETL testing. It is specially designed for the automation of data storage and big data testing. It guarantees that in the target schemes too, information obtained from sources remain intact.
Features of QuerySurge
- Improve the quality of data and data governance.
- Speed up your data transmission cycles.
- With this automation of manual testing becomes easy.
- It provides Testing on various platforms, such as Oracle, Amazon, IBM, Teradata, and Cloudera.
- It increases the speed of testing and provides information coverage for up to 100 percent.
- It includes a DevOps solution off – the-box for most construction, ETL and QA software management
- Provide shared, automated email reports and dashboards for information safety
2. Informatica Data Validation
Informatica Data validation is one of the most powerful tools. Integrates repositories and integration services with Power-Center. It allows developers and company analysts to develop guidelines for testing the mapped information.
Features of Informatica data validation
- Informatica Data Validation offers full data validation and data integrity solution.
- Identifies and avoids information problems and improves company productivity.
- Informatica Data validation also includes a design and query snippets for reuse.
- This ETL Testing tool can analyze millions of columns and rows within minutes
- It helps to compare the source and data storage data with the target data warehouse.
- It can provide informative reports, results for automation and updates reports.
QualiDi allows customers to cut expenses, increase their ROIs and speed up market time. Every element of the test cycle is automated in this ETL tool. It allows customers to decrease expenses, attain greater returns and speed up market time.
Features of QualiDI
- It provides data traceability based on requirements to a target database.
- It supports faster project delivery and functionality.
- It provides a centralized repository which can be maintained easily consists of the requirements, test cases, and test results
- QualiDI makes sure that more defects. are detected at initial phases, hence the cost of testing during production support will be less because there will not be more bugs or defects.
- It supports Data validation
- Management of test cycles can be done with the help of reports and dashboards
- Integrated defect tracking and monitoring that interfaces with a defect tracking tool.
- Test execution results and reports available at a click on the dashboard
- It promotes agile development and fast sprint delivery.
It is designed to automate the testing of data migration and data production. It allows users to identify all kinds of information problems that occur during ETL procedures. iCEDQ carries out verifying, validating and reconciling the source and target system.
Features of ICEDQ
- ICEDQ can read the data from any file or database.
- It can match memory information based on single columns
- It identifies incorrect information based on comparison and expression assessment.
- After execution, it sends warnings and notifications to the subscribed consumers.
- Web Services and Interface of Command Line
5. Data Gaps ETL Validator
Data gaps ETL Validator is an ETL testing tool for the data warehouse. It simplifies the testing of projects for data integration, data migration, and data warehouse. It has an embedded ETL engine that can compare millions of documents.
Features of ETL Validator
- Sets rules for validating data automatically for each input column of the file.
- It helps to assemble and schedule the test plan
- It provides the users a scheduling Capabilities
- It supports Data Integration and Data Quality Testing
6. Data-Centric Testing
The data-centric tester tool carries out robust data validation to prevent any failures during conversions, such as data loss or data inconsistency. It compares data between systems and makes sure that data loaded into the target system matches the source system precisely as relates data volume, type of data, format, etc.
Features of Data-Centric Testing
- Data-Centric tests are designed for ETL tests and data storage tests.
- It supports different relationship databases, flat files, etc.
- The automated data validation method produces SQL queries that reduce costs and effort.
- It compares heterogeneous databases such as Oracle & SQL Server and guarantees that the information is in the right format in both applications.
SSISTester is the framework that makes unit and integration testing of the whole ETL process. SSISTester has a great user interface that allows the monitoring of test executions in real-time. In SSISTester, the implementation of tests is easy as it provides an intuitive way to access database resources, packages, etc. It comes with a built in the project template. Parameters of tests like the currently executed test, errors in the test, results are provided by SSISTester. Test results can be exported to the HTML. It allows to easily save and send test results.
This has been a guide to ETL Testing Tools. Here we have discussed the Concept, Process and Some of the top Tools of Testing in ETL and their Features. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –