About Total Quality Management
TQM is a completely structured, comprehensive, and organization-wide approach taken towards organizational structuring and management that continuously seeks to improve the quality rendered by the products, services belted out by the organization and the productivity of the resources handling the product. The aim is to continuously induce quality at each and every step of the organizational workflow in a bid to refine and fine-tune the processes and receive continuous feedback as per customers’ norms to refine still further.
TQM is different for each and every organization and is mostly linked to the manufacturing industry, but can be successfully applied to any other industry or organization. It also conforms to the various international quality standards such as the ISO 9000 family of standards.
First implemented by Western Electric Company by Joseph Juran, TQM was first invented as a wholesome statistical quality control method by Walter Shewhart, while he worked at the Bell Telephone Laboratories in 1923. This technique was later implemented by the Japanese industry with the intervention of W. Edwards Deming, who is viewed as the father of quality control all over the world.
With these introductions to the world of quality management, the industrial sector burst open into a quality forum in the 1980s and there was slight of a quality movement taking place across the globe. Industries scrambled to improve their stance on the market by increasing productivity and quality with considerably lower budgets. The “more from less” mantra took serious precedence and TQM was hailed as a go-to technique for the manufacturing sector. Producers could see that the profitability of organizations rose dramatically and forced high number of sales and great margins of customer satisfaction.
What is Quality?
In terms of business, engineering, and manufacturing setups, quality can be described as either the inferiority or superiority of a product, service, process, or output. If a product, service, process, or output fails to fit into the purpose it is slated to achieve, we can deem them as low on quality. On the other hand, if the purpose is met with and the parameters are checked successfully, we can deem the product, service, process, or output as high on quality. Quality is a very subjective element within businesses and in order to keep the lid tight on the direction that quality points out to, we need to have fix adherence parameters and principles created to keep a check on quality at every stage of the workflow.
Addressing these concerns are quality management (quality control and quality assurance) systems and techniques that can help you align your business goals to the quality desired and outputted; TQM is one of them.
Conducting TQM at your organization is probably the best decision your organization has ever taken, as it can be a totally life-changing experience for the organization, its employees, the management, the board, and even the customers it caters to. TQM when set in action undergo a series of 4 sequential phases: plan, do, check, and act (or, the PDCA cycle).
- Plan – In this phase, the problem to be addressed is correctly defined and the necessary, relevant data is collected in a bid to find out and analyze the root cause of the problem at hand.
- Do – In this phase, after the root cause is found out, a solution is concluded and developed to be implemented. Success metrics are decided and put into place, and the effectiveness meter is set in motion to determine the success of the solution.
- Check – In this phase, the results that are yielded from the success metrics with a simple, yet thorough before-and-after comparison of the data.
- Act – In this phase, the results of success are documented and published to inform others about different changes in the process. Other problems are also kept in mind and this documentation addresses them in the following PDCA cycle.
TQM expects quality professionals to embrace the following 5 principles in order to meet with the growing customer expectations out of products and services:
- Produce quality work – Getting it right the very first time marks an optimum level of quality from the process in question or the workflow. TQM stresses on the fact that quality needs to be driven and produced at every stage of the workflow that ultimately winds up in a complete deliverable product. It’s in continuous improvement that helps process fine-tune themselves and get to optimum stages to belt out quality in the first instance of production.
- Focus on the customer – It’s very important that every business tends to their customer’s demands and expectations in the best way possible. It’s only through fulfilling these expectations that business bloom and are praised for their quality work. With improved quality, there’s a good chance to exponentially raise the count of satisfied customers thus, helping the business flourish.
- Have a strategic approach to improvement – Every improvement technique should be strategically thought about and should be in line with the business objectives and goals. With benefits appealing to the business these improvements should be made and quality needs to be achieved.
- Improve continuously – Continuous improvement is one of the core factors driving total quality management (TQM) and should be encouraged a lot. This notion can be the driving force for all the methodologies and techniques mentioned in TQM.
- Encourage mutual respect and teamwork – People drive processes and contribute immensely to the final product, in terms of quality, precision, and innovation. It’s very important in the premise of TQM to build and encourage mutual respect among team members and other employee and bank on teamwork to achieve optimum quality levels.
- Approaches of TQM – TQM comes in all shapes and sizes for the many industries and organizations there are in the world. In this section, you’ll understand where TQM stands against the previously adopted traditional approach to quality and quality management. Understand the TQM methodologies followed and instituted in Japan and the USA as well as Europe and other nations that are slowly rising in their business strength.
- Process & Implementation of TQM – Understand and analyze the entire process and implementation of TQM in this section and explore the steps you can utilize to bring about TQM in your organization.
- Requirement of TQM – Understand why there is an acute need for approaches such as TQM in our organization and how quality is driven from a particular level to excellence using collaborative techniques and tools. Learn about the various concepts within TQM and how the entire paradigm of TQM came to be.
- Principles of TQM – Learn about the quintessential 5 principles of TQM that drives organization to realize the customer perspective and act to satisfy customer demands and needs with regard to better product quality.
What Are the Requirements/Prerequisites of This Online Training?
This is an intermediate course conducted to encourage quality-oriented professional to getting the best out of TQM in easy-to-understand steps. It’s essential for clear and sheer dedication towards bringing about quality within products that we offer to customers as it’s through quality that we can endure and sustain the strength of our customer base and then build on it to increase the count. Every organization strives to achieve this level of quality and have been promoting quality-driven approaches within each workflow in the organization.
This online course on TQM aims at getting professionals ready to face such company goals and help and equip them with the necessary knowledge to succeed in bringing about change. The only things you need with you when you get onboard this online training are:
- Basic project management knowledge
- Interest in Quality and Quality management
- Basic computer and software maneuvering knowledge
- Cravings to learn continuously
- Computer with Internet facility
- Calm and focused mind
We are aware by now that Total Quality Management aims at bringing the entire organization together, in a collaborative fashion, and work at bending and mending process to instill perfect conditions of quality. Inducing quality at each stage encourages people to work more effectively and efficiently and brings about a positive attitude at work. There are many individuals who are like-minded with regard to quality and have that passion and zeal to improve company reputation and profitability to the maximum.
In order to facilitate such individuals, it’s important that we, here at eduCBA, provide the best online training course there is to TQM and encourage the following roles to take a dig at this for their own career and professional benefits:
- Project Managers
- Program Managers
- Quality Managers
- Quality Analysts
- Quality Executives
- Quality Auditors
- Project Sponsors
- Production Managers
- Product Managers
- Product Owners
- Any management student
- Anyone interested in learning about Quality and Total Quality Management
FAQs – General Questions
- What is this training course all about?
In this course, you will learn everything you need to know about quality as an important entity towards a successful business or organization. Total Quality Management (TQM) will be introduced to you, and you will learn all the different facets to this quality management technique, in a view to help you with gaining enough knowledge to either step onboard into the world of quality or to understand the ways in which you can bring about a change in the way quality is dealt with at your workplace. Learn the application of these techniques and learn how TQM when applied in an industrial setup will give you the required results.
- What will I receive on successful completion of this course?
EduCBA will accolade your successful completion with a verifiable certification of completion, which can be used as a feature in your resume.
- How long is this training course?
This training course is self-paced, and you will be able to take the course as per your convenience and leisure. As you enroll with us, please read the fine print and T&C for the courses you’re entitled to take.
- Do I need to have any kind of certifications to take this course?
No. You don’t require any certifications or prior quality management knowledge to get started with this course. This is an intermediate course and will require you to have basic knowledge of project management to understand the applications and applicability of TQM.
Ever since my first job, I was very inclined towards quality within an organization. TQM was one of the undertakings at work and I needed to know more about it in order to apply at office. I went through many books and free content online but I wasn’t getting a practical application result in them. I was introduced to the project and quality management courses on eduCBa and things were not the same again. Thanks to the TQM course, I am not applying them in my work and participating in quality huddles with lots of enthu and gusto. The course is very systematically structured and the learning is immense. It was a good choice for me.
Amazing course and simple course material. Very easy to follow the instructions. Great content and cost effective as well compared to other online courses. I would rate the course as 4 stars. Would help if classroom courses begin. Thank you.
I am amazed by the number of course by educba.com. Very good collection and subscription policy. I am very happy and satisfied with the support offered. Very good people to talk to and very good course material. I know much more about TQM than I ever knew before. Kudos to the team for such an excellent learning guide. Recommended to all quality buffs out there.
- Open a plethora of different job opportunities as your knowledge base is now extensive.
- You will be able to help the company raise its quality expectations, thus, putting it out there on the map.
- Knowing the tricks of quality can expose you to a great, vast expanse of the different industries of the world. You will never be lost.
|Where do our learners come from?|
|Professionals from around the world have benefited from eduCBA’s Total Quality Management Training courses. Some of the top places that our learners come from include New York, Dubai, San Francisco, Bay Area, New Jersey, Houston, Seattle, Toronto, London, Berlin, UAE, Chicago, UK, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, India, Bangalore, New Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Kolkata, Hyderabad and Gurgaon among many.|