Introduction to Career In PHP
In this Topic, we are going to learn about Career in PHP. Imagine you are working on your next big projects? Looking ways to fix things, finding the best solution; development approach, platform and framework within budget with better applicability. Well, do not panic! we have the solution for you. PHP is all you need to kick off the project exactly the way you wanted. Let’s see how?
- PHP Hypertext Preprocessor
- Programming Paradigm: functional and Object-oriented
- Designed by: Rasmus Lerdorf
- Developed by: Zend Technologies, PHP Development team
- First Release Date: the Year 1995
- Stable release: 7.3.0 (Dec 6, 2018)
- Implementation language: C, C++
- OS: UNIX and Windows
- File Extension: .php, .phtml, .php3, .php4, .php5, .php7. PHP, .php-s, .pht
From education to opportunities and from career to an application, career in PHP has wide influence, and this is what the context of the discussion is. So, without ado let’s get started.
Education Required For Career in PHP
PHP developers are a kind of developers who deal with developing the websites, applications, and programs with the use of PHP language. As a PHP developer, mostly one will be working in some IT firms (worldwide) but huge requirements in the design firms and business are also there. To tap the immense opportunities for a PHP developer the education requirement is not specific but general.
You will be doing a hard code programming mostly in your career. A PHP developer duty includes modular programming, object-oriented programming, application design, implementations, troubleshooting, and web development.
Education for PHP developer is bachelor’s degree in computer science(preferred), but any bachelor’s degree is okay. If you do not belong to a computer science stream, then you must love the coding and programming kinds of stuff to grow in this field. Master’s degree in computer education (M.C.A) is also very helpful in the long term. A common 4-year degree program in Computer science is most relevant as it has following courses in-built into it. Let’s have a look
- Web programming
- Data Structure
- Computer architecture
- Operating Systems
MCA degree will be helpful after certain years of experience for managerial positions. The skills on which the candidates are judged are logical thinking, interpersonal skills, analysis, and teamwork.
Career Path in PHP
Regarding certification, there are several knowledge areas that are must to know for a PHP developer. These areas are listed below
- MySQL developer and administrator certifications
- Linux OS
- Zend framework and many more as there is no limit for a developer understanding.
- XML understanding
- Web development
Job Positions or Application Areas For Career in PHP
The PHP language has several application areas. Let’s see them. The PHP language is used in some of the most popular OS like Linux, UNIX, Solaris, Windows and MAC and Microsoft and many more. Apache and IIS web servers are also in its reach. Let’ see some of the applicability of the language –
- Command line script – this is one of the areas of web development. PHP parser is used to run the PHP script without the need of server program or browser. This is a simple and effective approach to PHP language.
- Server-Side scripting – This is the main area of operation. Server-Side scripting includes the following into it. Web-servers, web-browsers, and PHP parsers are programs and applications that are included under the server-side scripting.
- Desktop Application Development – PHP as a language is also used to work on the client-side applications like desktop applications. Graphics User Interface (GUI) is one of the characteristics of this language.
- Open-source – being an open-source scripting language, the applicability increases multiple folds. There are count fewer start-ups (in INDIA alone) and many small businesses that lack proper funds for their business get running. Here, PHP as an open source is a life savior for these industries. The PHP community is very vast and always ready to help the community with support.
- Cross-platform – Being a cross-platform makes it more useful for users.
Before we see the Salary details of a PHP developer, let us check some pre-conditions that help to attain the salary offerings by the companies worldwide. The demand for the technology and emergency requirement decides the salary mostly, apart from these factors the talent and skills in a candidate is always a prime reason to get selected.
- Average PHP developer salary is around 2.4 lakhs in India.
- Average PHP developer salary in the USA is $88, 574.
- This salary changes as per the experience and skillful candidate is concerned.
Career Outlook in PHP
The US market (also the global market) decides the Indian IT industry mostly as we all know. PHP freelancer rates are sky high let’s see them,
- PHP Freelance Developer Monthly Average Salary
40hrs/Week x 4 Weeks = 160 Hours
160 hrs. x 61 = $9,760 Per Month
- PHP Freelance Developer Annual Salary
$9,760 x 12 Months = $117,120 Annually
The above details along with the career and salary details, it becomes quite clear for a PHP developer career outlook.
This language is very easy to learn compared to other languages. Also, there are countless start-ups and small and mid-size companies that do not have a huge budget, so PHP fits all their requirement (being an open source). To be hired as a PHP developer one need to show proficiency in PHP language. For experienced guys, showcasing past projects details are good and for the freshers a proper understanding of related terms and concept is crucial. So, last but not the least take part in any of the coding challenges, make a portfolio with project details and freelance work (if possible).
This has been a guide to Career in PHP. Here we have discussed the introduction, education, skills required along with job position, salary and career outlook in PHP. You may also look at the following article to learn more –