Updated May 8, 2023
Introduction to a Career In PHP
In this Topic, we are going to learn about Career in PHP. Imagine you are working on your next big project and looking for ways to fix things, finding the best solution, development approach, platform, and framework within budget with better applicability. Well, do not panic! We have the solution for you. PHP is all you need to kick off the project exactly how you wanted. Let’s see how?
- PHP Hypertext Preprocessor
- Programming Paradigm: functional and Object-oriented
- Designed by: Rasmus Lerdorf
- Developed by: Zend Technologies, PHP Development team
- First Release Date: the Year 1995
- Stable release: 7.3.0 (Dec 6, 2018)
- Implementation language: C, C++
- OS: UNIX and Windows
- File Extension: .php, .phtml, .php3, .php4, .php5, .php7. PHP, .php-s, .pht
From education to opportunities and from career to application, a career in PHP has a vast influence, and this is the context of the discussion. So, without ado, let’s get started.
Education Required For a Career in PHP
PHP developers are kind of developers who deal with developing websites, applications, and programs with the use of PHP language. As a PHP developer, primarily one will be working in some IT firms (worldwide), but many requirements in the design firms and businesses are also there. The education requirement is not specific but general to tap the immense opportunities for a PHP developer.
You will be doing hard code programming mostly in your career. A PHP developer’s duty includes modular programming, object-oriented programming, application design, implementations, troubleshooting, and web development.
Education for PHP developers is a bachelor’s degree in computer science(preferred), but any bachelor’s degree is okay. If you do not belong to a computer science stream, you must love coding and programming to grow in this field. A Master’s degree in computer education (MCA) is also beneficial in the long term. A common 4-year degree program in Computer science is most relevant as it has the following courses in-built into it. Let’s have a look.
- Web programming
- Data Structure
- Computer architecture
- Operating Systems
MCA degree will be helpful after specific years of experience in managerial positions. The skills on which the candidates are judged are logical thinking, interpersonal skills, analysis, and teamwork.
Career Path in PHP
Regarding certification, several knowledge areas are a must to know for a PHP developer. These areas are listed below.
- MySQL developer and administrator certifications
- Linux OS
- Zend framework and many more, as there is no limit to a developer’s understanding.
- XML understanding
- Web development
Job Positions or Application Areas For a Career in PHP
The PHP language has several application areas. Let’s see them. The PHP language is used in popular OS like Linux, UNIX, Solaris, Windows and MAC, and Microsoft. Apache and IIS web servers are also within its reach. Let’s see some of the applicability of the language –
- Command line script – this is one of the areas of web development. PHP parser runs the PHP script without needing a server program or browser. This is a simple and effective approach to PHP language.
- Server-Side Scripting – This is the main area of operation. Server-Side Scripting includes the following into it. Web servers, web browsers, and PHP parsers are programs and applications included under server-side scripting.
- Desktop Application Development – PHP is also used to work on client-side applications like desktop applications. Graphics User Interface (GUI) is one of the characteristics of this language.
- Open-source – being an open-source scripting language, the applicability increases multiple folds. Countless start-ups (in INDIA alone) and many small businesses lack proper funds for their business to run. Here, PHP as an open source is a life savior for these industries. The PHP community is vast and always ready to help the community with support.
- Cross-platform – Being cross-platform makes it more useful for users.
Before we see the Salary details of a PHP developer, let us check some pre-conditions that help to attain the salary offerings by companies worldwide. The demand for technology and emergency requirement decides the salary mainly; apart from these factors, the talent and skills of a candidate is always prime reason to get selected.
- The average PHP developer’s salary is around 2.4 lakhs in India.
- The average PHP developer’s salary in the USA is $88, 574.
- This salary changes as per the experience and skillful candidate concerned.
Career Outlook in PHP
The US market (also the global market) decides the Indian IT industry, as we all know. PHP freelancer rates are sky-high; let’s see them,
- PHP Freelance Developer Monthly Average Salary
40hrs/Week x 4 Weeks = 160 Hours
160 hrs. x 61 = $9,760 Per Month
- PHP Freelance Developer Annual Salary
$9,760 x 12 Months = $117,120 Annually
The above details, along with the career and salary details, become quite clear for a PHP developer’s career outlook.
This language is straightforward to learn compared to other languages. Also, countless start-ups and small and mid-size companies do not have a huge budget, so PHP fits all their requirements (being an open source). To be hired as a PHP developer, one must show proficiency in PHP. For experienced guys, showcasing past project details is good, and for freshers, a proper understanding of related terms and concepts is crucial. So last but not least, take part in any coding challenges, make a portfolio with project details, and do freelance work (if possible).
This has been a guide to Career in PHP. Here we have discussed the introduction, education, skills required, job position, salary, and career outlook in PHP. You may also look at the following article to learn more –