Career in Computer Science – Introduction
Are you the one who is always fascinated by deciphering the codes and likes to solve puzzles? Do you have a knack for learning new programming languages and engineering things and generally get more fascinated by the internal workings of a computer than to see what is there on the outside of it? If the answer to all these questions is yes, then congratulations upon landing on the right post and choosing the career in computer science.
It is the study of theory, engineering, and experimentation which forms the raw basics of the design and workings of the computer. A scientific and a pragmatic approach for computation of its applications and a systematic study of the structure, feasibility, expression, and mechanization of the procedures (also known as algorithms) which underlines the acquisition, representation, processing, communication, and storage of information. Let us study the different aspects of Career in computer science in detail.
Education in Computer Science
There is no prerequisite set of education which you need to have in order to pursue your career in computer science or dream technology. You should just have computers and should belong to the science stream while doing your intermediate for pursuing this course in your under graduation. Apart from the academic prerequisite, you are also expected to have the right frame of mind with analytical skills to devise programs and systems along with a troubleshooting approach. You are also expected to be versed in communication so that communication with non-technical people doesn’t become a challenge if you are left out without jargons. Creativity and of course hard work are other key factors which form an integral part of computer science.
Career Path in Computer Science
When it comes to future, there is a guarantee that it’s very unlikely for you to find a field with a more optimistic and promising outlook than computer science. The best part about being associated with computer science is that you get a very wider horizon and a plethora of options to choose from. For example, if you are way much into coding and websites like HackerRank, HackerEarth, CodeChef etc. are your thing, then don’t give a second thought to choose this course and expect to come out as a software developer.
- If you are more into networking and configuring Wifi and ethically hacking into networks and systems in your area of interest, the network administrator and an ethical hacker can be your career paths.
- If the background of the website needs some customization and your interest lies in making the visible components more catchy and useful, then computer science will help you in becoming a front-end developer.
- If you are fascinated to know about the backend data storage and how that is retrieved and playing with data in your area of interest, then your career lies in database administrator or backend developer.
The areas and options are limitless provided you should always have a constant zeal and an enthusiasm to develop and create something out of the box.
- To promote this, companies today are not targeting backed or fronted developers but they need a full stack developer efficient enough to handle their entire Information technology department
- Another field comes up with the advent of mobile devices where mobile and device developers are providing support.
I can take all day and might still not be able to complete the areas computer science provides a way to. With the evolving technology, you would find hundreds of roles and responsibilities managed by people who chose their career in computer science.
We know the biggest question you might have now is what kind of job position tags I can expect with me once I complete the course. To answer this question, we have listed a few job positions which have a prerequisite of computer science professionals:
- Software Developer: As already discussed, a primary source of employment would be provided to you by the jobs with this designation. Software developer, as the name suggests work on creating and developing new software developer or application as demanded by the client or by the organization using various tools, techniques, methods and of course programming languages.
- Database Administrator: He analyses and evaluates the data needs of the users. They work on developing and improving data resources to store and retrieve the important piece of information.
- Computer hardware Engineer: He is the one who is responsible for managing all kinds of system hardware components. He should be able to build systems capable of supporting large-scale applications and are robust.
- Computer Systems Analyst: The analyst analyses the data and computer systems of an organization and provides inputs to upgrade the systems. He is the one to adopt any new technology and ensure that the organization is able to adapt to it easily.
- Computer Network Architect: He is the one who designs all the network topological and the graphs to be followed for a network to persist so that efficient and performance filled network can be established.
- Information security analyst: With the increase in cyber attacks, security of a system becomes essential and this is where an information security analyst comes into the picture. He ensures all the systems and the applications are secured to avoid any breach.
You have now got a brief idea of the roles and responsibilities; now let us have a look at the paychecks you can expect. Though this figure is highly relative to computer science has a huge set of dimensions with an average salary of $80,000 and increasing. This ranges from as low as approximately $50,000 to as high as $130,000.
Like every other engineering domain, computer science requires you to possess technical and a practical skill set to be employable. Computer professionals need to be dedicated and determined to work for heavy deadlines under constant pressure. The product outcome as a result of this hard work is worth celebrating. I hope this article would have solved major queries of yours. Feel free to write to us with your questions and stay connected to our blog for more articles.
This has been a guide to a career in Computer Science.Here we have discussed the Introduction, Education, Career Path in Computer Science, Job Positions, Salary etc.you may also look at the following article to learn more –