Difference Between Raspberry Pi 3 vs Raspberry Pi 2
Raspberry Pi is a group of small computers with single-board placed in series and developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation organization to encourage the teaching of the basic concepts of computer science in schools of the developing countries. The highest memory for the latest version available was 1 GB of RAM. The power capacity provided is 1.5W to 6.7W. The Central Processing Unit (CPU) speed is 1.4 GHz 32/64 bit and a unit is quad-core ARM Cortex compatible. The graphics card provider is Broadcom.
The hardware configuration unit includes a processor manufactured by Broadcom and the first model introduced is Raspberry Pi Zero which was released in 2015. Raspberry Pi Zero is small in size and has reduced input-output (I/O) and general – purpose input – output (GPIO) capabilities. The hardware configurations of Raspberry Pi have various versions in the capacity of memories and the support of different peripheral devices. The Broadcom SoC used in Raspberry Pi is similar to that of a chip that was used in a first generation smartphone.
There are different models in Raspberry like Model A, Model B, and Zero. The Raspberry Pi 2 version has a Broadcom chip version model of BCM2836 having a frequency of 900 MHz with a 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex processor having a speed of 1.2 GHz. The Raspberry Pi 3 model has the processor of 1.4 GHz speed and 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex processor.
Head To Head Comparison Between Raspberry Pi 3 vs Raspberry Pi 2
Below is the Top 8 difference between Raspberry Pi 3 vs Raspberry Pi 2
Key Differences between Raspberry Pi 3 vs Raspberry Pi 2
Both Raspberry Pi 2 vs Raspberry Pi 3 are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Differences Between Raspberry Pi 3 vs Raspberry Pi 2:
- In Raspberry Pi 3, the boot times are high with different devices whereas the boot times are less in Raspberry Pi 2.
- In Raspberry Pi 3, the software installation time is less whereas the software installation time is more in Raspberry Pi 2 version.
- In Raspberry Pi 3, the SoC often gets heated easily and requires some cooling agents to control the temperature levels whereas, in Raspberry Pi 2, a radiator is not required as the temperatures on SoC does not reach high easily.
- In Raspberry Pi 3, the peripheral devices can be often connected using wireless connectivity whereas, in Raspberry Pi 2, the peripheral devices can be connected through powered USB hubs.
- In Raspberry Pi 3, the frames per second rendering capacity are 37.9 FPS whereas the frames per second speed in Raspberry Pi 2 which is 25.4 FPS.
- In Raspberry Pi 3, the network speed with LAN speed test gives the best speed in terms of Ethernet down and low in terms of Ethernet Up whereas Raspberry Pi 2 has equal speed in terms of USB WLAN Up compared to Raspberry Pi 3. In terms of Internet WLAN also, Raspberry Pi 3 has the best performance.
- In Raspberry Pi 3, the performance gain is more compared to Raspberry Pi 2. Raspberry Pi 3 is faster and has various performance gain benefits when compared to Raspberry Pi 2.
- In Raspberry Pi 3, the Micro SD card is friction based mechanism instead of a spring-loaded push-push type which has been used until the Raspberry Pi 2 version.
- In Raspberry Pi 3, the performance test with benchmarking tool Whetstone Pi A7 revealed the score of 711 whereas the score of Raspberry Pi 2 is 432 which clearly indicate that the Raspberry Pi 3 has more benefits.
- In Raspberry Pi 3, the idle power consumption is less i.e. 2.5 W whereas the idle power consumption in Raspberry Pi 2 is 3.2 W which is more.
- In Raspberry Pi 3, the under load power is 3.8 W which is the same in the case of both Raspberry Pi 3 and Raspberry Pi 2 versions.
- In Raspberry Pi 3, the power consumption is less, CPU speed is faster, core processor with quicker graphics and with built-in Wi-fi and Bluetooth which all these features lack in Raspberry Pi 2 version which is a high-performance boost for the latest version and its users.
- In Raspberry Pi 3, the memory testing for the RAM for the set limit of 256 MB the speed performance, the time took was 8mins whereas in Raspberry Pi 2 model the time taken is 22mins which is more.
- In Raspberry Pi 3, the ARM Cortex 64-bit processor supports the operating system in different ways compared to the previous versions such as Raspberry Pi 2.
Raspberry Pi 3 vs Raspberry Pi 2 Comparison Table
Let us look into the detailed comparison Between Raspberry Pi 3 vs Raspberry Pi 2
|Basis Of Comparison Between Raspberry Pi 3 vs Raspberry Pi 2||
Raspberry Pi 3
Raspberry Pi 2
|Design||It has a green PCB design without a case.||It is similar to 3 but with different or lesser speed and frequency in processor.|
|Connectivity||It has WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity.||It has USB ports to connect to it.|
|Hardware||It has 1.2 GHz quad-core processor.||It has 900 MHz central processing unit.|
|Performance||It has very big performance boost||It has less performance compared to Pi 3 model|
|Clock Speed||It has video core IV chipset with a clock speed of 400 MHz||It has video core IV chipset with a clock speed of 250 MHz|
|RAM||It has a RAM speed of 450 MHz||It has a RAM speed of 900 MHz|
|Gaming Compatibility||It supports more devices and high performance with gaming devices||It has less performance with gaming devices compared to Pi 3|
Conclusion – Raspberry Pi 3 vs Raspberry Pi 2
Raspberry Pi 3 has a different variety of performance boosts and high-speed capabilities and different integration capabilities with many devices. Raspberry Pi 3 has wireless connectivity features like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2, faster Ethernet and Power over Ethernet (PoE) whereas Raspberry Pi 2 lacks these features. In terms of integration with different devices, Raspberry Pi 3 is preferred rather compared to Raspberry Pi 2
4.5 (2,945 ratings)
Raspberry Pi 3 has big performance boost and its memory, processing and cache memory speeds are high that boosts performance a lot and had a lot of performance improving features over Raspberry Pi 2. The power consumption to is less in terms of Raspberry Pi 3.
This has a been a guide to the top differences between Raspberry Pi 3 vs Raspberry Pi 2. Here we also discuss the Raspberry Pi 3 vs Raspberry Pi 2 key differences with infographics, and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following Raspberry Pi 2 vs Raspberry Pi 3 articles to learn more –