Updated March 20, 2023
Introduction to Bluetooth
Bluetooth is wireless technology that is used for sharing of data between two devices placed over short distances using a short wavelength such as ultra-high-frequency, radio waves in scientific, industrial and medical radio bands in the range of 2.400 to 2.485 GHz. It is also applied in buildings and apartments by personal area networks. It is similar to Wifi which operates on radio waves. Bluetooth operates over a maximum distance of one sixty-four feet in between devices but this range is sufficient for home, car, electronic gadgets, and health care applications.
What is Bluetooth?
It is a standard replacement of wired communications which is mainly designed for devices with low power consumption. It operates within the short-range on cheaply available transceiver microchips. Since the devices operate on radio waves, it is not visible but a quasi-optical wireless route is visible. This is authorized by Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) which has employees of more than thirty-five thousand in telecommunication, computing and networking, and consumer electronics. Hence it is a simple mechanism that is efficient for short-range transmission using radio waves.
Working of Bluetooth
- It is based on the simple principle of transmitting and receiving data using radio waves. Each enabled equipment has a chip attachment called a Bluetooth adapter. This adapter is utilized to receive and send the data. This adapter works on a considerable range of connections. One electronic adaptor can identify another Bluetooth-enabled device only if it falls within the area of the first device.
- When they are placed within the estimated communication range, it is linked and paired which is called a pairing of Bluetooth devices. The radio wave connection established between the two devices is used to send and receive the data between the connected Bluetooth devices.
- The limit of data as 720KB per second can be sent and received by the devices. The available frequency channel is 79 with 2.45GHz frequency which is set up for data sharing.
- When two devices try to set up a connection or link, they search for a common frequency through which they can transmit and receive their data. When they identify that particular common frequency, the device will be turned as “’ found’’. The linking of two devices does not hinder the pairing of other devices because they use different frequency channels and there are no possibilities of overlapping.
- The advantage of it enables more than two devices to share the information simultaneously. When any two electronic devices start to shares the data, they form a mini-computer network of electronic devices called Piconet. Piconet range can accommodate seven devices.
- Anyone of the device acts as the master and initializes the order to begin where the other is slave units and follows the advice of the master device. When another piconet joins this piconet it is called a scatternet. The piconet can join or leave the piconet without any dependency.
Types of Bluetooth
There are different types of Bluetooth according to its different applications, such as Bluetooth headset, In-car Bluetooth headset, Strea Headset, Bluetooth equipped printer, it enables the webcam, Bluetooth GPS and Bluetooth camera. It has a different version which is applied for many types of equipment.
Given below are the different types of Bluetooth:
1. Headset: This headset connects smartphones to a headset. It can help to make calls or attend the incoming calls. It is built with voice recognition which is easy to dial or text.
2. Stereo Headset: The stereo headset is connected to music players as similar to the Bluetooth headset.
3. In-Car Headset: This headset is used to make calls without using mobile and can hear the car speaker system.
4. Equipped Printer: This is equipped printer is used to print documents or pictures without using any wired system. They are synchronized and falls in the same range to connect the printers.
5. Enables Webcam: This is used to link the camera without any wired and remains docked to the computer.
6. Global Positioning System (GPS): The Global Positioning System which enables a smart device with this technology is operated through voice control can use to fetch the direction to the address.
7. Keyboard: This keyboard is used without any connection of wired and connected to a laptop or computer. It can also be applied to smartphones.
Given below are the uses mentioned:
- The application of this is mostly in battery-powered type 2 equipment with a minimum difference in range whether another end of the connection is a type 1 or type 2 component as similar to the low-powered device. The range of it varies depending on the propagation conditions, material applied, antenna set up, and battery configurations.
- They are used in indoor conditions which are available in smartphones, smartwatches, car, medical applications, GPS, music players, speakers, and so on. Since the security of it is so strong it can be equipped with all office, Home and Car. It is not prone to hackers because of its strong firewall.
- It is safe to implement and use at any circumstances. A house with Bluetooth-equipped devices is easy for the user to control his thermostat settings alarms and appliances such as light and fan from a centralized location.
- For entertainment, the technology can link all the devices connected to the home theatre without any wires or audio or video can be directly played from mobile to television or speakers.
- When the user is driving the Bluetooth can link the enabled devices to the car’s dashboard to answer the call or hear songs from mobile, or fetch the directions from GPS from the navigation display.
- Similarly, it can be applied in consumer electronics such as phones to the headset via web or internet connection. It can share the data between phones, televisions, speakers, and cameras. Its equipped fitness devices to make it is easy to follow routine exercise. Monitoring the heart rate and GPS trackers which automatically generate the reports or calculate the burned calories.
This is a guide to What is Bluetooth? Here we discuss the introduction, why we use bluetooth, working, and the different types. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more–