Difference Between PowerShell vs CMD
PowerShell is scripting language and object-oriented automation engine. It is designed especially for the system administrators. It is similar to Linux Bash Scripting and built on the top of the .NET Framework, it is used to control the applications and windows operating system on windows servers. It used to control & automate the administration of the Window OS and other applications by the administrators. It is used to do almost all kinds of work which used to do by the GUI. It is mostly used in automation.
The command prompt is used generally in a traditional system which is not GUI based where everything you have to do by the command only, in the command prompt you have more control over the machine compared to the guy, but there is a disadvantage of it also in form of the less user-friendly system. To run the java program you have to go the CMD then only can execute the program, people with knowledge of cmd commands can easily move from windows to Linux and UNIX operating system.it does not care for the cases for example CD or cd will be treated as same. To launch the command prompt you have to go start type cmd you will get command prompt.
PowerShell is the very well-integrated command-line experience for the operating system; it has full access to all kinds of .net frameworks. By the help of PowerShell system, admin can easily manipulate the system workstation, server components. It is more secure compared to another scripting language like VBScript.
CMD is also known as cmd.exe we can go directly to any drive location on cmd just typing cmd on the search bar of windows explorer. It is similar to Unix like system. The first version of cmd was developed by Therese Stowell. In windows for interface implementation win32 console is used.
Head To Head Comparison Between PowerShell vs CMD (Infographics)
Below is the top 4 difference between PowerShell vs CMD
Key Differences Between PowerShell vs CMD
Both PowerShell vs CMD are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Difference Between PowerShell vs CMD
- PowerShell is the new and vastly improved shell and programming language first made available in the Windows operating systems. Earlier it came as the add-on. It is designed especially for the system administrators. It is similar to Linux Bash Scripting and built on the top of .NET Framework.
- While CMD is command line interface to interact with the operating system via the command they are many commands present to interact with the system. Flow control is not easy to control in cmd as compared to PowerShell because of fewer features compared to PowerShell.
- PowerShell is the superset of CMD it has lots of functionality compared to CMD which has limited functionality it has the power to call CMD or do anything, PowerShell can call an external program or new program. It has direct access to all of .NET, easy access to COM, C#, F#, and other .NET languages. PowerShell can pass and return objects structure data with methods, events, and properties to another command.
- While in CMD have lack of commands compared to PowerShell and functionality .it has limitation compared to PowerShell, it produces simple text.
- PowerShell is object oriented which has all features related to an object-oriented language like polymorphism, encapsulation, inheritance, abstractions.
- While CMD is string .it does not have features of object-oriented language so it cannot provide object-oriented language features.
- PowerShell is integrated with a .net framework so all the classes of the .net framework are available in PowerShell. This feature helps the system administrator and developer to do automation more efficiently by using the .net framework, this is called the power of PowerShell.
- While in case CMD it does not have such access of class which lacks it compared to PowerShell. CMD can also use to automate the things but it does not have access to the .net class which required lots of developer efforts to do the things.
- PowerShell can be integrated with the .net framework at runtime also very easily can consume the output of other application.
- CMD does not have such features.
- PowerShell can execute all kinds of program, can produce different kind of results it may be objected text etc.
- While CMD can produce only text kind of output and, can only console kind of program.
PowerShell vs CMD Comparison Table
Below is the 4 topmost comparison between PowerShell vs CMD
|The basis of comparison Between PowerShell vs CMD||
|Definition||PowerShell is scripting language and object-oriented automation engine. It is designed especially for the system administrators. It is similar to Linux Bash Scripting and built on the top of .NET Framework||CMD is command line interface to interact with the operating system, it is command based.|
|Usage||it is used to control the applications and windows operating system on windows servers. It used to control & automate the administration of the Window OS and other applications by the administrators||It is used to execute the given command on the console, can be used to debug the problem.|
|Commands||Change the directory Set-Location
To list out the file Get-ChildItem command used.
|To change the directory cd command used.to list out the files in directory dir command used.|
|Inventor||It is developed by the James Truher||The first version of cmd was developed by Therese Stowell|
Conclusion- PowerShell vs CMD
PowerShell vs CMD both are very powerful, As we saw that PowerShell is new products of Microsoft, it has many features compared to CMD, Can do lots of automation. It helps the System Administrator to do automate the task very easily with help of PowerShell, provides lots of commands compared to CMD and more features also, can produce output not only as a string it may be an object or any other kind of data. Can be integrated with .net applications and can use all classes of .net, While CMD is the very old product of Microsoft. it has a limited set of functionality compared to PowerShell it is good for the people who have basics knowledge of computer or starting the career in computer field ,It does not have access to .net framework,does not have access the classes of .net framework ,which required lots of effort compared to PowerShell during automation ,it produces only text-based output and execute only console based applications only .So finally we say that we should use PowerShell because it is new and more powerful.
This has a been a guide to the top difference between PowerShell vs CMD. Here we also discuss the PowerShell vs CMD key differences with infographics, and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more.