Introduction to OpenStack Interview Questions and Answers
OpenStack is a free cloud computing software platform which is deployed as Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). It was licensed under Apache License 2.0. It was purely written in Python Programming Language. It was initially released in the year 2010. It supports cross-platform operating systems. It provides virtual servers and resources to the clients or customers in order to utilize the services as IaaS. OpenStack provides free public and private cloud services. OpenStack has different services components available with it such as Networking, Computing, Block Storage, Dashboard, different web workflows, databases, messaging, DNS services, upgradation, and long-term support services etc. OpenStack has different cloud services such as Public, Private, on-premises and appliance-based etc.
Now, if you are looking for a job which is related to OpenStack then you need to prepare for the 2019 OpenStack Interview Questions. It is true that every interview is different as per the different job profiles. Here, we have prepared the important OpenStack Interview Questions and Answers which will help you get success in your interview.
In this 2019 OpenStack Interview Questions article, we shall present 10 most important and frequently asked Openstack Interview questions. These questions are divided into two parts are as follows:
Part 1 – OpenStack Interview Questions (Basic)
This first part covers basic OpenStack Interview Questions and Answers
Q1. What is OpenStack and explain its uses?
The OpenStack is the most popular open source cloud computing platform that provides virtual machine resources and IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) Services to most of the customers. It captures the market in the future of cloud computing. All the services provided by the OpenStack can be accessed and managed through the GUI based user interface. The several benefits of the OpenStack Cloud Computing are mentioned as below –
- OpenStack boosts the business by eliminating the maintenance services.
- Improves agility and high availability.
- Improves Efficiency and provides cloud infrastructure.
- It provides great services for on-demand infrastructure services within no time.
- OpenStack gives the opportunity of building own data center in turn which provides more control over the data being managed and controlled.
- OpenStack enables rapid development.
- OpenStack boosts high scalability and effective resource utilization
Q2. What are the different key components involved in the OpenStack Cloud Computing platform?
The different key components available with the OpenStack Cloud Computing platform are Keystone, Neutron, Nova, Cinder, Horizon, Swift, Heat, Ceilometer and Glance. The different key components involved in Cloud Computing platform are explained as below –
4.6 (3,144 ratings)
Keystone – It enables the identity service for all the cloud users and different OpenStack cloud services. It is also a way of providing access to the individual cloud users for different services available.
Neutron – It enables the networking functionality to the Virtual Machines. It also Computes nodes and Controller Nodes in its architectural model.
Nova – It controls the Virtual machine instances at the computing level and performs different computing tasks at hypervisor level or compute node level.
Cinder – It enables block storage facility, which is normally integrated with the Chef and Scale IO to enable the block storage service to the Compute nodes and Controller nodes.
Horizon – It enables the GUI (Graphical User Interface) service, based on the GUI Admin mode and performs an entire day to day operations task easily.
Swift – It enables the object storage functionality which provides Glance images on the object storage whereas the external storage Scale IO can be made to work as Object storage and integrated with the Glance Services.
Heat – It enables the orchestration service functionality by using the Heat admin service or functionality and can easily utilize the Virtual Machines as Stack IO as per the requirements in the stack by easily scaling in and Scaling out.
Ceilometer – It enables the billing services and telemetry services.
Glance – It enables Cloud Image services by utilizing glance admin services to upload and download the cloud images.
Let us move to the next OpenStack Interview Questions.
Q3. What are the different services run in controller mode of the OpenStack cloud architecture?
The different types of services run on the OpenStack Cloud computing controller mode are as below –
- Identity Services such as Keystone.
- Nova Services such as Nova APIs
- Imaging Services such as Glance
- Nova Schedulers
- Nova Database Block and the Object Services
- Ceilometer Services
- MariaDB or MySQL database services and RabbitMQ messaging Services
- Networking Management services such as Neutron
- Networking agents and Orchestration Service such as Heat
Q4. What are the three different components of the modular OpenStack architecture model?
This is the basic OpenStack Interview Questions asked in an interview. Please find below the different tables that are supported by OpenStack. The three different types of modular OpenStack architecture are OpenStack Compute, OpenStack Object Storage and Image Service which are explained as below –
- OpenStack Compute – The OpenStack Compute is used to manage larger networks of the virtual machine instances.
- OpenStack Object Storage – The OpenStack Object Storage is used to provide the support services for both the Object Storage and Block Storage models.
- Image Service– The Image Service is used to discover the delivery services and provides the registration services as well to the Virtual Disk Images.
Q5. What are the different endpoint types of OpenStack Cloud Computing Services?
The different types of endpoints in the OpenStack Cloud Computing Services are as below –
- Public type endpoint
- Admin type endpoint and
- Internal type endpoint.
Part 2 – OpenStack Interview Questions (Advanced)
Let us now have a look at the advanced OpenStack Interview Questions.
Q6. What are the different nodes available in OpenStack?
There are two type’s of nodes
- Compute Node
- Network Node
Q7. What is Hypervisor and what are the different types of Hypervisors supported by the OpenStack Cloud?
The Hypervisor is defined as firmware or computer hardware used to provide virtual machine instances for the cloud computing instances and has different types of Hypervisors such as KVM, VMware, Containers, Xen, and Hyper-V which are explained as below –
- KVM – This hypervisor is a virtualization layer in the Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM).
- VMWare – This hypervisor is of type ESXi Hypervisor and enterprise-class version hypervisor.
- Containers – This hypervisor is of cloud-native type hypervisor
- Xen– This hypervisor is of type microkernel designed that provides services which allow multiple computers operating systems to execute the processes on same computer hardware in concurrent mode.
- Hyper-V – This hypervisor is also called Windows Server Virtualization used to create virtualized machines on Windows OS x86 – 64 version.
Let us move to the next OpenStack Interview Questions
Q8. What is CPU Pinning in OpenStack Cloud Computing?
The CPU Pinning is defined as the process of reserving the physical core parts of virtual machines specified as per the requirement. It is also called the process of isolating the CPU.
Q9. What is OpenFlow rule in OpenStack Cloud Networking?
This is the most asked Openstack Interview Questions in an interview. OpenFlow rule is defined as the reaching path of the data packet from source to destination in cloud computing.
Q10. What are the different Networking Options available in OpenStack?
Networking options available in OpenStack are as follow:-
- VLAN Network Manager
- Flat Network Manager
- Flat DHCP Network Manager
This has been a guide to list Of OpenStack Interview Questions and Answers so that the candidate can crackdown these OpenStack Interview Questions easily. Here in this post, we have studied top OpenStack Interview Questions which are often asked in interviews. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –