Updated May 11, 2023
Introduction to OpenStack Interview Questions and Answers
OpenStack is a free cloud computing software platform deployed as Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). The software was licensed under Apache License 2.0. It was purely written in Python Programming Language. The initial release of OpenStack was in the year 2010. Cross-platform operating systems are supported. For clients or customers to use the services as IaaS, it offers virtual servers and resources. Free public and private cloud services are provided by OpenStack. OpenStack has different service components, such as Networking, Computing, Block Storage, Dashboard, web workflows, databases, messaging, DNS services, upgradation, long-term support services, etc. OpenStack has various cloud services such as Public, Private, on-premises, appliance-based, etc.
Now, if you are looking for a job related to OpenStack, you must prepare for the 2023 OpenStack Interview Questions. Every interview is indeed different as per the various job profiles. Here, we have prepared the critical OpenStack Interview Questions and Answers to help you succeed in your interview.
This 2023 OpenStack Interview Questions article will present the 10 most important and frequently asked Openstack Interview questions. These questions are divided into two parts as follows:
Part 1 – OpenStack Interview Questions (Basic)
This first part covers basic OpenStack Interview Questions and Answers.
Q1. What is OpenStack, and explain its uses?
OpenStack is the most popular open-source cloud computing platform that provides most customers with virtual machine resources and IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) services. It captures the market in the future of cloud computing. You can access and manage all OpenStack services through the GUI-based user interface. The several benefits of OpenStack Cloud Computing are mentioned below –
- OpenStack boosts the business by eliminating maintenance services.
- Improves agility and high availability.
- Improves Efficiency and provides cloud infrastructure.
- It provides excellent services for on-demand infrastructure services within no time.
- With OpenStack, you can build your own data center, giving you more control over the data you manage and control.
- It enables rapid development.
- OpenStack boosts high scalability and effective resource utilization.
Q2. What are the different key components involved in the OpenStack Cloud Computing platform?
The different key components available with the OpenStack Cloud Computing platform are Keystone, Neutron, Nova, Cinder, Horizon, Swift, Heat, Ceilometer, and Glance. We explain the different key components involved in the Cloud Computing platform below:–
- Keystone – It enables the identity service for all the cloud users and different OpenStack cloud services. It is also a way of providing access to individual cloud users for other services available.
- Neutron – It enables the networking functionality of Virtual Machines. It also Computes nodes and Controller Nodes in its architectural model.
- Nova – It controls the Virtual machine instances at the computing level and performs different computing tasks at the hypervisor level or computes node level.
- Cinder – Usually, Chef and Scale IO integrate with it to enable a block storage facility, which provides block storage service to the Compute and Controller nodes.
- Horizon – It enables the GUI (Graphical User Interface) service based on the GUI Admin mode and efficiently performs an entire day-to-day operations task.
- Swift – It enables the object storage functionality, which provides Glance images on the object storage. In contrast, you can integrate the external storage Scale IO with the Glance Services, allowing it to function as object storage.
- Heat – It enables the orchestration service functionality by using the Heat admin service or functionality. It can efficiently utilize the Virtual Machines as Stack IO as per the requirements in the stack by efficiently scaling in and Scaling out.
- Ceilometer – It enables billing services and telemetry services.
- Glance – It enables Cloud Image services by utilizing glance admin services to upload and download the cloud images.
Let us move to the next OpenStack Interview Questions.
Q3. What are the different services run in the controller mode of the OpenStack cloud architecture?
The different types of services run on the OpenStack Cloud computing controller mode are as below –
- Identity Services such as Keystone.
- Nova Services such as Nova APIs
- Imaging Services such as Glance
- Nova Schedulers
- Nova Database Block and the Object Services
- Ceilometer Services
- MariaDB or MySQL database services and RabbitMQ messaging Services
- Networking Management services such as Neutron
- Networking agents and Orchestration Services such as Heat
Q4. What are the three different components of the modular OpenStack architecture model?
These are the basic OpenStack Interview Questions asked in an interview. Please find below the different tables that OpenStack supports. We explain the three different types of modules in the OpenStack architecture below: OpenStack Compute, OpenStack Object Storage, and Image Service.
- OpenStack Compute – The OpenStack Compute manages more extensive networks of virtual machine instances.
- OpenStack Object Storage – It provides Object Storage and Block Storage models’ support services.
- Image Service– You can use the Image Service to discover delivery services, register services, and access virtual disk images.
Q5. What are the different endpoint types of OpenStack Cloud Computing Services?
The different types of endpoints in the OpenStack Cloud Computing Services are as below –
- Public type endpoint
- Admin type endpoint and
- Internal type endpoint.
Part 2 – OpenStack Interview Questions (Advanced)
Let us now have a look at the advanced OpenStack Interview Questions.
Q6. What are the different nodes available in OpenStack?
There are two types of nodes.
- Compute Node
- Network Node
Q7. What is Hypervisor, and what are the different types of Hypervisors supported by the OpenStack Cloud?
Firmware or computer hardware uses the Hypervisor to provide virtual machine instances for cloud computing. The Hypervisor has several types, including KVM, VMware, Containers, Xen, and Hyper-V, which we explain below:-
- KVM – This Hypervisor is a virtualization layer in the Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM).
- VMWare – This Hypervisor is of type ESXi Hypervisor and enterprise-class version hypervisor.
- Containers – This Hypervisor is of cloud-native type hypervisor
- Xen– This Hypervisor is a microkernel design that provides services that allow multiple computer operating systems to execute the same computer hardware processes in concurrent mode.
- Hyper-V – This Hypervisor, also called Windows Server Virtualization, creates virtualized machines on Windows OS x86 – 64.
Let us move to the next OpenStack Interview Questions.
Q8. What is CPU Pinning in OpenStack Cloud Computing?
CPU Pinning is reserving the physical core parts of virtual machines specified per the requirement. It is also called the process of isolating the CPU.
Q9. What is the OpenFlow rule in OpenStack Cloud Networking?
These are the most asked Openstack Interview Questions in an interview. OpenFlow rule is defined as the data packet’s reaching path from source to destination in cloud computing.
Q10. What are the different Networking Options available in OpenStack?
Networking options available in OpenStack are as follows:-
- VLAN Network Manager
- Flat Network Manager
- Flat DHCP Network Manager
This has been a guide to the list of OpenStack Interview Questions and Answers. Here we have listed the most beneficial ten interview sets of questions so the jobseeker can easily crack the interview. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –