Updated June 23, 2023
Introduction to Mainframe Interview Questions and Answers
The Mainframe is a high-performance computer used for large-scale computing purposes that require greater availability and security than a smaller-scale machine can offer. It has the most user-friendly connectivity, single-thread performance, and reliability factors. Traditionally, mainframes were related to instead of distributed computing. If you are looking for a job related to Mainframe, you must prepare for the 2023 Mainframe Interview Questions. Though every interview is different and the job scope is also different, we can help you out with the top Mainframe Interview Questions and Answers, which will help you take the leap and get your success in your interview.
In this article, we have covered the top 10 Mainframe Interview Questions and Answers.
Part 1 – Mainframe Interview Questions (Basic)
This first part covers basic Interview Questions and answers.
1. What is a mainframe?
A mainframe is also known as a “big iron.” It is a large and multi-user computer device that helps to perform TIPS per second. Traditionally, mainframes were related to instead of distributed computing; the Distinction is blurring smaller between traditional centralized computing and distributed computing because small computers become additional robust and mainframes become additional multi-purpose.
2. What is the difference between HIDAM and HDAM databases?
|HIDAM is employed for serial access, similar to random access||HDAM is employed for random access
|HIDAM requires 2 I/O, one to the index and one to the data, to provide direct access to the root via the HIDAM index||HDAM provides quick, direct access to the root via the randomizer.|
|HIDAM encompasses a separate index file that relies on the basics section.||On the other hand, the HDAM file doesn’t have a separate index file; however, each record’s key field is competent as a randomizer that places the record to a selected position within the information.|
3. What is Mainframe Testing?
Mainframe Testing is testing computer code services and applications supported by Mainframe Systems. Mainframe testing is energetic in application development, overall development price, and quality. Mainframe checking may be a part of end-to-end test coverage spanning platforms.
- Applications that run on the mainframe are accessed through the terminal somebody. The somebody is the sole computer code that has to be put in on the shopper machine.
- While activity Mainframe testing, the tester must realize the CICS screens’ navigations.
4. What are the various attributes of Mainframe Computing?
Although several believe that mainframe computers square measure dinosaurs headed toward extinction, the massive corporations of the planet still run on mainframe computers. Below, square measure the attributes that make mainframe computing scalable, stable, and secure.
- It’s a method that lets a processor simulate central storage more extensively than the particular quantity of computer storage.
- It uses disk storage as an associate degree extension of computer storage.
- The pc executes one program at a similar time.
- It’s a facility provided to form economic use of the central processor.
- It’s a method that any task is accomplished in units called jobs.
- Employment might cause one or additional programs to execute in an exact sequence.
- The mandatory data for execution is provided through JCL (JOB management LANGUAGE).
Every user can access the system through the terminal device in a very time-sharing system. Rather than submitting jobs that square measure regularly for later execution, the user enters commands that square measure processed at once.
- Spooling stands for synchronic Peripheral Operations online.
- It’s a facility exploiting the advantage of buffering to form economic use of the output devices.
- What is the difference between static and dynamic SQL?
In Stats SQL, the statement is ready before the program is dead, and therefore the operational type of the statement persists on the far side of the program’s execution.
A dynamic SQL statement is ready throughout the execution of the associate degree SQL application, and therefore the operational type of the statement isn’t persistent. The statement’s supplied type may be a character string passed to DB2 victimization the static SQL statement PREPARE or EXECUTE IMMEDIATEly.
Part 2 – Mainframe Interview Questions (Basic)
This second part covers Advanced Interview Questions and answers.
1. How do you use EXPLAIN in DB2?
When associate degree SQL is dead against or sure to DB2 information, the DB2 Optimizer tool defines the access path accustomed to accessing the info. By victimization following manner, we can use just in DB2.
- Create an inspiration table.
- Justify the statement for the question with a question no (this inserts the info within the higher-than-setting-up table)
- Retrieve (select *) the information and hold on within the setup table for question no.
2. What is the updated cursor?
An update pointer permits you to delete or update the present row, the foremost recently fetched row. The keyword UPDATE in the same lead is to let the information server apprehend that the program will edit (or delete) any row that it fetches.
3. How is JCL used for testing batch programs?
JCL is the management language for running programs in a very batch atmosphere.
Let us move to the following Mainframe Interview Questions.
4. Does QTP Tool support Mainframe Application Testing?
Yes, QTP Supports Mainframe Application Testing; it’s TE (Terminal Emulators). Add sure to support the Mainframe atmosphere.
5. Can you name a few p ieces of software running on the mainframe?
IBM is the pioneer in the mainframe computing field. Some of their square software measure COBOL, Enterprise COBOL, JCL, VSAM, CICS, DB2, etc.
Other players within the square market measure Unisys (Clear Path), Hitachi (zSeries), horsepower (Non-stop), and Fujitsu (BS2000/ ICL VME), amongst several others.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Mainframe Interview Questions” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information.