Introduction To Rail Interview Questions And Answers
Ruby on Rail is an MVC framework. Rail is extremely productive web-application framework.
Ruby on Rail is a powerful framework to describe your application. Rail is considered a server-side, or back-end, web application development platform. Rail is popular among web startups, significantly because of the pool of open source software.
So if you are looking for a job that is related to Rail, you need to prepare for the 2019 Rail Interview Questions. Though every interview is different and the scope of a job is also different, we can help you out with the top Rail Interview Questions and answers, which will help you take the leap and get you success in your interview.
Below are the 10 important 2019 Rail Interview Questions and answers that are frequently asked in an interview. These questions are divided into two parts are as follows:
Part 1 – Rail Interview Questions (Basic)
This first part covers basic Rail Interview Questions And Answers.
1. What is Ruby on Rail?
Rail: It is a framework used for building a web application
Ruby on Rail is an open source full-stack web application framework written in the Ruby Programming Language. Rail is capable of gathering information using pages and applications from the web server and can interact with a database and can retrieve information from the database.
- You could develop a web application at least ten times faster with Rail comparing Java Frameworks.
- Configure your code with Database Schema.
- No compilation phase required.
2. Explain different advantages of using Ruby on Rail?
The different advantages of using Ruby on Rail are as follows:
- Programmer Productivity and consistent: The Rail framework on Ruby quickly carry an app from conception, while developing framework/codes and into production at high speed. Developers follow standardized file storage and programming conventions that keep a project structured and readable.
- Open-Source: Rail is an open-source web-based framework and it is compatible with Linux. It means there are lots of open-source options available when constructing your solution stack. There is a majority of blogs and books, meetups and conferences in the Rails world.
- Built-In Testing: Rail enables developers to use supporting code called harnesses and if you expect to get a lot of users for your application you should make sure that it can cope with all the visitors you’re hoping to attract.
- Metaprogramming: Rail makes it easy to write and some security features are built into the framework and enabled by default.
Let us move to the next Rail Interview Questions.
3. Why Ruby on Rail?
There are lots of advantages of using Ruby on Rail:
- DRY Principal
- Convention over Configuration
- Gems and Plugins
- Pure OOP Concept
4. Explain functional testing in Ruby on Rail.
This is the common Rail Interview Questions asked in an interview. Functional testing in Rail allows you to test the response of various actions contained in a controller. Using the Rail default test library, mini test, functional tests use a collection of assert statements that will tell your testing library to expect a certain response based on a control request passed.
5. Explain the role of garbage collection in Ruby on Rail.
Garbage Collection is a process of removing pointer programs and inaccessible objects left behind after a program has executed. Garbage collection frees up memory for other processes. Garbage Collection helps in freeing the programmer from having to track objects created dynamically during runtime and saves much time.
6. How Rail implements Ajax?
Ajax powered web page retrieves the web page from the server which is new or changed, unlike other web-pages where you have to refresh the page to get the latest information.
Rail triggers an Ajax Operation in the following ways:
- First step: A call action will be created by a user or client and called considered a trigger is fired and it on a call to action.
- Third Step: Rail controller action receives the data on the server-side and returns the corresponding HTML fragment to the client.
- The client receives the fragment and updates the view accordingly
Part 2 – Rail Interview Questions (Advanced)
Let us now have a look at the advanced Rail Interview Questions.
7. What is ORM in Rail?
ORM tends for Object-Relationship-Model, it means that your Classes are mapped to a table in the database, and Objects are directly mapped to the rows in the table.
8. What are the roles of Rail Controller?
The Rail controller is the logical center of the application. It facilitates the interaction between the users, views, and the model. It also performs other activities like:
- Rail Controller is capable of routing external requests to internal actions.
- Rail Controller regulates sessions it means it gives users the impression of an ongoing interaction with our applications
- Rail Controller regulates helper modules, which extend the capabilities of the view templates without bulking of their code
- Rail Controller handles URL extremely well
Let us move to the next Rail Interview Questions.
9. What are Ruby Gems?
Ruby Gem is a software package, commonly called a gem. Gem contains a packaged Ruby application or library. The Ruby Gems software itself allows you to easily download, install and manipulate gems on your system.
10. What are class libraries in Ruby?
Class libraries in Ruby consist of a variety of domains, such as data types, thread programming, various domains, etc.
11. What are different naming conventions in Rail?
This is the most Frequently asked Rail Interview Questions in an interview. The different naming conventions in Rail are:
Variables: For declaring Variables, all letters are lowercase, and words are separated by underscores
Class and Module: Modules and Classes use Mixed Case and have no underscore; each word starts with an uppercase letter
Database Table: The database table name should have lowercase letters and underscore between words, and all table names should be in the plural form for example invoice_items
Model: It is represented by unbroken Mixed Case and always have singular with the table name
Controller: Controller class names are represented in plural form, such that Orders Controller would be the controller for the order table.
12. What are the roles of the sub-directory app/controllers and app/helpers?
App/controllers: It is a process in which web request from the user or client is handled by the Controller. The controller sub-directory is where Rail looks to find their controller classes. The app/controllers subdirectory will keep track of all the controller classes for the app. Controllers will only handle web requests from the client or user.
App/helpers: It is a process in which helper’s sub-directory holds any helper classes and it is used to assist the view, model and controller classes. By keeping helper classes in a separate subdirectory then model, view and controller classes can remain lean and uncluttered.
13. What are the positive aspects of Rail?
Rail provides many features like:
- Meta-programming: Rail uses code generation but for heavy lifting, it relies on meta-programming. Ruby is considered as one of the best languages for Meta-programming.
- Active Record: It saves an object to the database through Active Record Framework. The Rail version of Active Record identifies the column in a schema and automatically binds them to your domain objects using metaprogramming
- Scaffolding: Rail has an ability to create scaffolding or temporary code automatically
- Convention over configuration: Unlike other development frameworks, Rail does not require many configurations, if you follow the naming convention carefully
- Three environments: Rail comes with three default environment testing, development, and production.
- Built-in-testing: It supports code called harness and fixtures that make test cases to write and execute.
This has been a guide to List Of Rail Interview Questions and Answers so that the candidate can crackdown these Rail Interview Questions easily. You may also look at the following Rail Interview Questions articles to learn more –