Introduction to Digital Marketing Manager
As digitization spreads its effect in businesses gradually and the number of computer usage persons are increasing rapidly, people’s habits such as the way of buying and selling goods have really changed along with it. Today offline marketing is not as effective as it used to be. Marketing defines the connection with the customers at the right time and in the right place. Nowadays, people are spreading more time on the internet, so the marketers need to do marketing online to meet this new trend of customers. A digital marketing manager has emerged out as a new way of doing business with the existing traditional marketing concepts. In addition, the digital marketing concept includes various digital channels such as search engines, social media, email, mobile and content marketing to connect to potential customers.
With the changes of the marketing concept, the jobs of marketing managers have converted into a new way. As digital marketing is itself a niche industry and a hugely lucrative field, the demand for qualified professionals for digital marketing jobs, including managers, marketers or specialists, is enormous with raising wages and new job responsibilities.
Important Concept of Digital Marketing Profession
A digital marketing manager is primarily responsible for promoting a company or products or services through developing, executing and managing marketing campaigns. It is a crucial role of a manager to enhance brand awareness within the digital space to attract customers. He or she handles a multi-tasking automated system that needs the expertise to manage and artificial intelligence to run for tracking and to calculate the performances of various components of digital marketing. In other words, a digital marketing manager is responsible for increasing brand awareness and attracting customers through different digital channels, including company websites, search engines, social media, email marketing, corporate blogs, online display ads and so on. Basically, a digital manager is responsible for generating a company’s digital strategy to ensure massive profits in large scale industries or small scale as well.
As digital marketing provides many marketing roles, the roles and responsibilities of marketing managers of small scale industries and larger industries are not similar. In small industries where the manager may own many marketing tactics, while in large industries, these tactics are driven by many specialists, and each focuses on just one or two of the brand’s digital channels.
The digital marketing manager’s role is very broad, and it varies from company to company. He or she has to work with the marketing team, supporting team and vendors to execute a campaign for products or services on time and on budget. The digital manager must have strong knowledge about current marketing tools and strategies and be able to drive integrated digital marketing campaigns from concept to implementation.
The following responsibilities are performed by a digital manager:
- Creating a digital marketing strategy to boost up online trafficking to the organization’s website.
- Maintaining and executing all the digital marketing components, including SEO (Search Engine Optimization), SEM (Search Engine Marketing), marketing database, email, social media, content marketing, and display advertising campaigns.
- Developing strategy to maintain a social media presence.
- Evaluate the performance status of digital marketing campaigns and assess against goals.
- Recognize trends plus insights and assure performance based on insights.
- Implement new and innovative ideas in the growth strategy.
- Employ strong analytical skills to calculate endwise customers’ experiences across multiple channels.
- Act as a team with agencies and other vendor partners.
- Assess emerging technologies. Adopt and implement it if needed.
- To make a company’s website more customer-friendly by providing responsive and engaging content.
- Sharing customer’s feedback data is essential for enhancing customers’ experiences and elevating conversion.
- Appraising digital marketing strategy and success ratio of competitors to examine the performance rate; sometimes developing a strategy to overtake the competitors.
A digital marketing manager has to report directly to a director or VP in marketing. As the digital marketing profession is a highly emerging sector even in India, so it is anticipated about coming up with more job prospects in the near future.
Skills Required to Become Digital Marketing Manager
A digital manager requires leadership skills and strong adaptability power to adopt and experiment with new changes in a continuous-changing digital world. He or she has to think like a consumer. Another important required skill is strong writing skills to communicate the brand’s message to the consumers.
Other skills which are important to be a successful digital marketing manager are as follows:
1. Strong Analytical Skills: A strong analytical mind helps to extract relevant information from available data, and it helps managers to create and develop a digital marketing strategy. As digital marketing depends on establishing strategies that are expected to provide fruitful calculated results, so working with data and strong data analysis skills are highly expected in a digital marketing manager.
2. Entrepreneurial Skill: A digital marketing manager has to have the entrepreneurial skills to adapt to changing the digital landscape.
3. Managing Ability of Email Marketing: Email marketing is one of the tools of digital marketing. The marketing manager uses this to campaign brand awareness among users, subscribers, and clients.
4. Handling Ability of Search Engine Marketing: As a search engine expert, he or she has to drive and improve the company’s content. There are two sections in search engine marketing – blog, content for organic search and pay for click advertising using Google AdWords. The digital manager must pay attention to it.
5. Social Media Marketing Expertise: The digital marketing manager has to comprehend various social media marketing tools and social networks for online branding.
6. Content Marketing Plan: The digital marketing manager must implement the right content in a marketing plan for campaigning. Content marketing includes articles, blogs, pictures, infographics, free eBooks and so on.
7. The Ability for Implementing Visual Advertising Skill: Most digital marketing manager implements visual advertising in Facebook and Twitter. Because Facebook analytics show that visual advertisements attract more customers than text content.
In the era of digitization, a digital marketing job is highly lucrative as well as challenging, and there is no hard-fast rule to follow before taking it as a career. A degree in marketing or a related field is needed, but internships and job experiences are more valuable to add an edge in the career path of a digital marketing manager.
This is a guide to Digital Marketing Manager. Here we discuss the concept, job responsibilities and skills required to become a digital marketing manager. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –