Difference between AutoCAD vs Revit
Autocad 2D and 3D design computer-aided design (CAD) drafting tool that was developed, released and marketed by cin December 1982. Autocad was one of the first computer-aided programs that were executed on personal computers. Currently, it is vastly used by Architects, Engineers for a number of applications to create and modify geometric shapes into a design, for creating blueprints of buildings, bridges, computer chips etc. and the design can be created and modified on both web and mobile. There are a lot of features provided by Autocad. Some are as follows –
- DWG compare – Can compare and showcase the differences between 2 versions of a drawing.
- Web and Mobile Support – Drawings can be viewed and edited from web and mobile.
- 2D graphics – 2X faster zoom, change orders and layer properties
- Shared views – Design views can be shared through a web browser for commenting.
- PDF import – Import geometry, SHX font files, raster images into a drawing from PDF.
- Workspaces – save and restore workspaces with customized menus, toolbars
- Rendering – Lightening and materials can be applied to give 3D models a realistic appearance.
- DGN files – Import, export and attached DGN files to re-use data.
Revit, on the other hand, is a single application used to create geometry equipped with real-life information. It is in other words, a 4D building information modeling (BIM) tool having features for architectural design, structural engineering, and construction. BIM, on which Revit is based, is a new CAD paradigm that allows for intelligent, 3D and parametric object-based design. The current version of Revit is only supported by windows but cannot be used in other operating systems like Mac OS. Revit is featureful and some of the features are as follows –
- Building Information Modeling (BIM) – Models can be created with real-life information and is indivisible.
- Parametric components – Open graphical systems for design and form making
- Work-sharing – Contributors can share and save their work.
- Schedules – Tabular display of model can be extracted from properties of elements.
- Interoperability – Imports, exports and links data with commonly used formats.
- Annotation – WYSIWYG editing allows you to control text appearance.
- Architectural Design – Add elements to building model, including walls, doors, windows and components
- Cloud Rendering – Produce photorealistic visualizations on the cloud.
Both AutoCAD vs Revit is owned by Autodesk.
Head To Head Comparison Between AutoCAD vs Revit (Infographics)
Below are the top 10 differences between AutoCAD vs Revit
Key differences between AutoCAD vs Revit
Both AutoCAD vs Revit are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Difference Between AutoCAD vs Revit:
- Autocad works more like a drawing paper where you can create a 2D design representing real elements for your project whereas Revit is more focused on considering the project as a whole and closet to the real thing. It is used to build 3D components equipped with real-life information.
- Autocad focuses on individual components of a project whereas Revit considers the entire project as whole giving architects an advantage of considering design as indivisible.
- Making modifications and last minute changes suggested by clients are easier to perform in Revit as compared to Autocad, wherein the modifications are almost manual and time-consuming in later.
- Autocad is more flexible as compared to Revit as it supports surface, mesh and solid commands of Autocad whereas for later it is stricter as the things require to be constructed correctly because for this we not only building a 3D model but also a model that will enable coordination of the job and lot more.
- Autocad follows linear coordination involving a constant back and forth between all associated groups. On the other hand, Revit has an advantage as all models can be linked to the center architectural model to keep track for real-time clashes between them.
- Autocad is supported both by Windows and Mac and whereas Revit can only run on Windows currently.
- Autocad web app is available to create edit and share CAD designs through the browser and mobile devices whereas Revit is available as a software that can be used after installation in windows.
- Both Autocad vs Revit requires a subscription from Autodesk and based on the requirements, one can opt for monthly or yearly plans. The cost for a subscription for Revit is more as compared to Autocad for the same duration.
Comparison Table of AutoCAD vs Revit
Below is the top comparison between AutoCAD vs Revit
The Basis Of Comparisons Between AutoCAD vs Revit
|Purpose||Draw 2D lines representing real elements||Create 3D components equipped with real-life information.|
|Design Tools||Professional drafting and documentation tools||Intelligent 3D model-based design tools|
|Flexibility||More flexible as it supports surface, mesh and solid commands of Autocad||Stricter as compared to Autocad.|
|Workflow||Each element is drawn separately ( The Free form of a drawing )||Facets are made simultaneously (Design as an indivisible whole)|
|Modifications||Manual modifications and Time consuming||Instantaneous modifications and less time consuming|
|DWG Support||Can load .dwg extension files||Can load .dwg extension files|
|Processes||Linear approach||Streamlines repetitive drafting tasks|
|Documentation||Generates construction documents||Generates construction documents|
|Supported Platform||Windows and Mac||Windows|
|Price||Monthly and yearly subscriptions are available. The cost is as follows –
Monthly : Rs 10,439
1 Year : Rs 84,379
|Monthly and yearly subscriptions are available. The cost is as follows –
Monthly : Rs 13,048
1 year : Rs 102,646
CONCLUSION – AutoCAD vs Revit
To conclude, both AutoCAD vs Revit is developed and marketed by Autodesk. AutoCAD vs Revit tools are used in industries for commercial purpose to create 2D-3D designs blueprints for buildings, bridges, computer etc. Both AutoCAD vs Revit require monthly or yearly subscription from Autodesk to create blueprints and models. The purpose of Autocad is to draw 2D lines representing real elements whereas Revit can be used to create 3D components equipped with real-life information. Autocad focuses on design and modifications of individual elements of a project whereas, in Revit, the project is considered as indivisible. The modifications and last minute changes are easily done in Revit as compared to Autocad, where the modifications are manual and time-consuming. Autocad is available as both web and mobile app and can be used on both platforms Windows and Mac. Revit can only be used on Windows operating system. Based on the requirements, available hardware and design requirements one can choose between Autocad and Revit to create blueprints.
This has been a guide to the top difference between AutoCAD vs Revit. Here we also discussed the AutoCAD vs Revit key differences with infographics, and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –