Updated June 6, 2023
Introduction To VB.Net
VB.Net or Visual Basic .Net is an object-oriented programming language used for Microsoft-based system application product development that works on the .Net framework. VB.Net, a structured, object-oriented, and component-based general-purpose language, boasts many beneficial features; it works on the .Net framework, which is platform-independent, for constructing highly efficient and high-performance application programs. In addition, it is one of the top programming languages with simple structural syntax for programming the code blocks.
It is a modern, object-oriented, and simple computer programming language that Microsoft developed. Designers created it to combine the features of the .NET Framework and the common language runtime, which gives productivity benefits and is the signature of Visual Basic. Visual Basic .NET, sometimes called VB.Net, is an OOP’s based programming language that internally uses .NET Framework. It is interesting to know that although VB.NET is an evolution of legacy Visual Basic language, it is not backward-compatible with version VB6. Hence, any code written in previous or older versions is incompatible with VB.NET.
We would also like to tell you that applications developed using VB.Net could be executed not only on Windows but also on various OS like Linux, OSX, etc.
How does VB.Net make Working so Easy?
The greatest advantage of any programming language is its syntax and learning curve. The easier the syntax of any programming language, the easier it is to understand its syntax. Also, lessening the learning curve of any programming language is easier to learn.
It has both advantages: simple syntax and a less learning curve. VB.NET is a superior technology because of its ease and straightforwardness. The syntax of VB.Net is easy, and one will not find himself writing a bunch of lines of code as there are quite a large number of shortcuts which makes our coding much more accessible in this language in comparison to another language.
What Can We Do With VB.Net?
To answer this in simple words, it is a programming language. Hence, one can do everything a person can usually do with any programming language existing in its same domain. It could be used to develop a small piece of a program, like making a simple addition or calculation program or a large-scale Windows application.
Now, let us know the advantages of the VB.Net framework:
- Object-Oriented – VB.Net is all an object. From primitive data types to user-defined data types, each and everything is object-based. It quickly gives all the advantages of any OOP’s based language like Java etc
- Modern and General Purpose – VB.Net is a general-purpose language with all the features of any modern technology.
- Easy to Learn – It is more accessible due to its more straightforward syntax and less learning curve.
- Structured Language – It is a highly structured language.
- Component-Oriented – It follows the concept of a component. In a component approach, developers subdivide the entire application into simpler components. They then develop these components individually to create a complete application.
- Platform Independent – It is a platform-independent programming technology; hence, various computer platforms can compile it, and different operating systems can run it.
- Produces Efficient Programs – It is self-capable of developing efficient applications.
- Large Community Support – It is large community support with efforts and inputs from a large number of people. It is a part of the .Net Framework.
It is a programming language that is very much based on two other Microsoft technology, which is BASIC and Visual Basic programming languages. If someone has a basic understanding of these programming languages, it is easier and more fun to learn the VB.Net programming language. Now, after knowing in-depth about VB.Net, it is worth knowing about its scope.
At first, if we say VB.Net has a high scope. To be more precise, only VB.Net does not have much scope. VB.Net, although it still exists in the Top 10 programming language, it will be beneficial to learn VB.Net. However, alone learning and practicing VB.Net will not be much helpful. Once you learn VB.Net, you should learn other Microsoft technology like C# and.Net, which will be much easier to learn and understand. Together all these Microsoft technologies will be in great demand.
Right Audience for Learning VB.Net Technology
If we say the right audience, then VB.Net is open to learning technology for all. Because its syntax is quite straightforward, newcomers and experienced individuals can easily grasp it.
How will this Technology Help in Career Growth?
As discussed earlier, this technology and other Microsoft technologies have incredible scope. Initially, learning VB.Net for making the basic concept and then learning other Microsoft technologies would be great fun and beneficial from other perspectives.
It is a great technology to learn. Learning this Microsoft-created technology is a lot of fun. It has all the essentials required for a programming language. You can use it to develop various applications, ranging from simple programs to large applications.
This has been a guide to What is VB.Net. Here we discussed the Concepts, Definitions, Scopes, and Advantages of VB.Net. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –