Introduction to Cyber Security
In the contemporary period, the Internet is showing exponential growth. Everything which was done manually or offline initially could be done easily through the Internet. When we talk about the Internet, social media websites like Facebook, Twitter, etc lures abundant numbers of Internet users. So, in an era where everything could be done by the help of the internet, the security concern is also increasing parallel to the Internet. Here in this session, we will learn things about Cyber security so that we can understand how we should protect ourselves from Security Breaches.
What is Cyber Security?
Let’s understand what Cyber means. Cyber could be defined as something related to the group of computers or the internet. While security means the mechanism of protecting anything. So both the terms Cyber and security took together define the way of protecting user data from the malicious attacks that could lead to the security breach.
Cyber Security is the term that has been used for a decade back after the internet started evolving like anything. By the virtue of Cyber security, any organization or any user can secure their crucial data from the hackers. Though it is concerned with hacking at some point, it actually used ethical hacking to implement Cyber security in any system.
It may be defined as the process to mitigate the security threats in order to protect reputation loss, business loss or monetary loss of any organization.
The term Cyber security clearly sought that it’s a kind of security that we offer to the system that numerous users can access using the internet or intranet. There are several tools and techniques that are used to implement it. The most important fact about securing data is that it’s not a one time process but a continuous process. The system administrator has to keep things updated in order to keep the risk low.
How does Cyber Security make working so easy?
No doubt that the mechanism of Cyber security makes our work very easy by ensuring the availability of the resources contained in any network. A business or organization could face a huge loss if they are not sincere about the security of their online presence. As every technology has its own way to make the work easy, so does network security. It’s the actual way to make the working easy is by ensuring that the data is confidential, following integrity and available when needed.
4.5 (1,694 ratings)
What can you do with Cyber Security?
Cyber security allows us to secure our network or system which has to work with critical or sensitive organizational data. Below are the few things that one could do using this.
- Data protection – The primary role of Cyber security is to protect the confidential data that is supposed to be accessed by the authorized user only.
- Enforcing CIA – The three features of Cyber security: Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability could be enforced by the mean of internet security.
- Mitigate breach risk – The system that is very secure and updated is very less biased towards security breaches. It helps the users to protect their data from getting exposed to any of the malicious user or attacker.
- Ensures business continuity – It offers some plan that ensures the sustainable business processes which could lead to keeping the organization’s reputation and also ensures that business should continue without any obstacle.
Working with Cyber Security
It is a broad topic and could be actually implemented in several ways. It comprises of various approaches that are worked in SOC(security operation center) to protect the organization from breaches. Below are the two different approaches to implement Cyber Security.
Defensive Security –
In defensive security, the security analyst uses tools like SIEM, IPS, IDS, Firewall, Proxy, etc. It is actually an approach where the organization protects their network from malicious traffic. It basically includes analyzing the data packet that is entering in the organization’s network to perform some task.
Offensive Security –
In offensive security the ethical hacker tries to hack the organization’s system with the consent of the system owner to detect how the system could be compromised so that they can correct the issues with the system and protect it from being compromised by the actual attacker The ethical hacker could do white, grey or black hat hacking based on the request and approvals. The person who does the ethical hacking for any organization is also called pentester.
Advantages of Cyber Security
Cyber Security consists of numerous plus points. As the term itself says, it offers security to the network or system and we all know that securing anything has a lot of advantages. Some of its benefits are mentioned below.
- Securing organization – Cyber security is all about securing organizations network from external attacks. It makes sure that the organization should perform good and should feel safe about its important data.
- Safeguarding sensitive data – The highly confidential data like patients data, student data, sales data has to be secure from unauthorized access so that it couldn’t be misused and it’s what we can achieve using Cyber security.
- Hamper unauthorized access – It helps us to protect the system from being accessed by someone who is not authorized to access it. The data is kept highly secure and could only be fetched with authenticated users.
- Ensuring data reliability – Data or information from any organization that is protected by the mechanism of Cyber security are considered highly reliable and could be used without giving a second thought.
In Cyber security, one has to possess a better understanding of computer network, should have an idea about TCP/IP, HTTP, and other protocols. One should have the capability to analyze the data packets entering the organization’s network. In terms of offensive security, one has to be good in the application’s source code review, should be capable of understanding web application architecture.
Why do we need Cyber Security?
In the above sections, we understood the role and importance of Cyber security in any organization. It is something that comes under the primary checklist of the businesses. We have seen its several advantages and those give us a very precise idea about how crucial role it plays in protecting systems from falling into security breaches.
Right audience and career growth
Folks who are curious about understanding the fundamental of Cyber security could learn about it through this lesson. Though it moreover an overview, we could also get a dive into understanding the basics of networking to understand it much better.
The professional who had an idea about networking could see a good career growth in the field of Cyber security. People having good hands-on practice on a programming language like python, Java can also choose Cyber Security by keeping themselves on what they love to do i.e., coding.
Cyber security is a very emerging field that plays a vital role in ensuring the organization’s process continuity. It is not a single thing but comprises of several approaches or techniques. Any business must have to adopt Cyber security in order to protect their user’s information and keep the business moving forward in an efficient way.
This has been a guide to What is Cyber Security. Here we discussed the Basic concepts, Required skills, and Advantages of Cyber Security. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –