What is Unix Shell?
UNIX Shell is a collection of computer operating systems that allow multiple users to do multiple tasks. A shell is a medium provided to interact with the kernel. It is basically a command line interface to the Unix system. In this topic, we are going to learn about What is Unix shell.
How does it work?
- It takes input from you.
- It executes the program on the basis of your input.
- Once it is done with executing, it displays the output.
Understanding Unix Shell
It is an extra layer on the kernel.
- Helps in controlling all computer operations.
- It coordinates all the utilities or programs which are to be executed.
- It manages the consumption of resources by the utilities. It manages all the system processes.
So, by associating with a kernel, it provides you a platform to interact and execute utilities and programs.
Types of Shell
There are two types of shells in Unix:
- Bourne shell: In a Bourne-type shell, the default prompt is $ sign.
Following are the 4 subcategories of Bourne shell:
- Bourne shell (sh)
- Korn shell (ksh)
- Bourne Again shell (bash)
- POSIX shell (sh)
- C shell − In a C-type shell, the default prompt is the % character.
Following are the 2 subcategories of C shell:
- C shell (csh)
- TENEX/TOPS C shell (tcsh)
The original Unix shell was written within the mid-1970s by Sir Leslie Stephen R. Bourne whereas he was at the AT&T Bell Labs in New Jersey. Bourne shell was the primary shell to seem on Unix. Therefore, it’s said as “the shell”. Bourne shell is sometimes to be put in as /bin/sh on most versions of Unix operating system. For this reason, it is the alternative shell for writing scripts.
- Common tasks are automated by it. For example, if you want to take a backup of your home directory and upload it on a server, you can write a script and schedule to run it daily or weekly.
- You can automate a setup of software which you have written on a new system by writing a script.
- You can do a lot more things whenever you log in to your system by writing a script and calling it from .shrc/.bashrc/.zshrc (it depends on the source path).
- It saves time as it allows us to do repetitive tasks efficiently. You don’t have to type commands again and again if you have a script of the same.
- You can write a script to do different tasks like to kill or start multiple programs together or to enable/disable some features.
- Task Automation: It helps to automate tasks which are executed frequently, which implies that you can write a script to perform every day’s task or for a task where you need to execute multiple commands. For example,
It makes it easy-
- To upload a file or a folder on a cloud every day.
- To compress log files which grows every day.
- Combining multiple commands: It combines multiple commands into a single command. Executing a single command is easier as you don’t have to remember the order of commands or the sequence of them to execute.
- Easier to develop: It is possible to write the same script in a program in C/C++ but it is easier to write and debug a shell script than a C/C++ program, especially for system administration tasks.
- Transparency: It is easier to see and check out what action is being performed by the script as it is a text file, but in a C/C++ program you are required to have the access to the source code file.
- Portable: It is easier to execute a script to other Unix or Unix-like operating systems if it has the shell.
Pre-requisites to learn Unix Shell Scripting
There is nothing much that you need to know before starting learning Unix shell scripting. Basic knowledge of programming and the Unix command line are helpful.
Why do we need Unix Shell?
We need Unix shell for the following reasons:
- It provides a set of in-built commands or programs which is required to do the shell scripting. It makes the work interactive as it asks the user to give input at the UNIX prompt to execute it.
- Shell scripting saves your time and lets you write a single command instead of multiple commands.
This is an important concept for DevOps or System administrator as it makes the work easy and reduces time. You can do almost anything and everything by writing a script and save your time, it is quite popular in the world of servers. You can manage multiple systems and servers at a time by using shell scripting. So, this is a great skill to learn.
Unix shell scripting has a bright present and future as it helps you to complete a huge and repetitive task efficiently. Therefore, if you want a career or a career growth in DevOps or System administrator, learning Unix shell scripting would be a great start.
4.5 (928 ratings)
Unix shell and shell scripting is a basic thing to know when you are working on a Unix operating system as it lets you interact with the system and make the work easy. This technology doesn’t seem to have an expiry date. Shell scripting can be done in other programming languages as well but they aren’t that easy to write and debug. Therefore, it is advisable to learn Unix shell scripting, if you are thinking to make a career in the computer world.
This has been a guide to What is Unix shell. Here we discussed the Advantages, Required skills, Scope and Career Growth of Unix shell. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –