Updated June 9, 2023
Introduction to Redux
Understanding Redux and how it Works
Suppose we ordered a headphone from the Amazon website. After ordering headphones, one can get delivery from the delivery boy at the specified time. In this case, ordering headphones is an Action, one of Redux’s concepts.
After performing action here, one has to wait till the delivery. There is a process that takes time and follows whenever one orders something from a favorite e-commerce website. Similarly, in redux, after performing the action, there is a term called dispatch, which sends the action to the reducer. When you place the order, the package ships to the nearest warehouse to the destination address. A similar process happens in Redux by dispatch.
Now reducer looks at the action and accordingly does what it needs to do for storing the data in the store. It comprises a switch case state, which stores data and returns updated state value from the store. The value in the store update every time the state shows some fluctuations. The store can secure the state efficiently and holds the app state as well. This emphasizes the significance of a store enabling the users to keep their state safe and sound.
Why should we use Redux?
When should we use it?
Below are some of the reasons why we should consider
- Caching page state:- When the user surfs through a page and then goes to another page and returns, the expectation is to have the page in the same state. As reducers initialize and live throughout the session, they can preserve the state of the page.
- State management of the component:- It is useful when we have to manage the state of the components.
- Global components are easily accessible:- They have application life-enabling snack bars, notifications, tooltips, etc. It is of utmost significance when creating actions for dispatching commands. For example, if a code generates an asynchronous request, it will produce a snack bar action when the request fails with respect to the backend. When a user is not using Redux, it requires another event system, or else it needs to instantiate the snack bar component whenever it has been in use.
- If numerous props are associated with a high-end component from which utilization of only a few of them happens, then they can consider it refactored with Redux.
- This mainly occurs in wrapper components, which do not require a lot of data or configuration. As such, it is essential to side-chain Redux into a lower-level component in such cases.
- The Same piece of application state needs mapping to multiple container components. It provides a convenient and best way to share the state.
- Central store- With the help of redux, any component can access any state from the store. It also preserves the state of the component event after the component is unmounted.
- When the state changes, it returns a new state and prevents unnecessary re-renders.
- It will benefit in testing will as it separates UI and data management.
- The maintenance of the state’s history helps implement features like undo.
- Redux makes it easy to debug an application. With the help of redux, it is easy to understand network errors, coding errors, and other forms of bugs.
How does this technology help in Carrier Growth?
React, and Angular has a lot of popularity among tech companies across the globe as well as in India. Everyone who enters the world of React needs to understand how to handle the state of the application. Everyone has different reasons for picking up different technologies but learning redux surely benefits your skillset.
Redux is the best choice for developers as it drives them to make better decisions while developing an application. It helps to manage the state of the app in a single place. It also frames a clear understanding of Redux to the core. In case any project needs a state management tool, Redux is the best option to reap the benefits in the long run.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What are the principles of Redux?
Answer: There are three principles of Redux
- The global state of an application gets stored in a single store of an object tree.
- The developer can change the state in only one way, which is by emitting an action that describes the situation.
- Pure reducers are necessary to specify the transformation of the state tree by actions.
Q2. Is Redux a framework?
Q3. What are the drawbacks of Redux?
Answer: There are a few drawbacks to using Redux; it doesn’t provide encapsulation, thereby causing security issues due to the access given to any component. The reducer has to update the state each time by returning to the new state due to the immutable state in redux.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “What is redux?” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information,