Difference Between JIRA vs TFS
Jira is used for planning, tracking, reporting and releasing of projects across different industries. Initially, Jira was used for software development but later it is being used across different industries like manufacturing, e-commerce, insurance, military, pharmacy, etc. to use the process monitoring tools available in Jira. TFS is a team foundation server developed by Microsoft for source code management, reporting, project management, requirements management, testing, automation management, releasing builds, etc. TFS is an application lifecycle management system that takes care of all things from requirements gathering to coding, testing, release, and maintenance of the project.
What is Jira?
Jira is an issue and project tracking tool developed by an Australian company called Atlassian. For every task, we can open tickets or issues to track progress at each and every stage with a proper description of the task at each step of the ticket. We can find that we are working in rather simple workflows or complicated tasks depend on the complexity of the work. Jira is a good transparency tool for project and issue tracking. There are different versions of Jira is available for different types of users. We can customize Jira tools based on our team requirements whether it is simple or complex.
What is TFS?
TFS can be integrated with IDE’s like visual studio and eclipse. It is like an on-premises version of the cloud service acts as DevOps services. It has support for git repository for source code control, build and release services to support continuous integration and continuous deployment, variety of tools for performing different kinds of testing like load testing, manual testing, regression testing, customizable dashboards for sharing reports, progress and project trends with customers, teams etc. and agile tools for development planning, tracking, bug reporting using scrum and kanban agile methods.
Head To Head Comparison Between JIRA vs TFS (Infographics)
Below is the top 4 difference between JIRA vs TFS
Key Difference between JIRA vs TFS
Both JIRA vs TFS are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Difference Between JIRA vs TFS:
- Management Models: Jira tool supports different management models some of them are application lifecycle management, issue tracking, software development management, customer service management, and other models whereas TFS supports different management models such as issue tracking, software development management, code repository etc.
- Reporting: Jira tool makes reporting very easy by tracking each and every task and issue in a project and we can use JQL, Jira query language which enables to filter the issues and report whichever issues we want whereas TFS has generates reports of teams tasks, issue tracking, backlog, and work items at any point of time but Jira reporting is good.
- Flexibility: Jira tools provides so much flexibility to use different types of services such as Jira core, Jira software, Jira service desk, Hip chat, BitBucket, status page, confluence, source tree etc. whereas TFS supports free users, team service users to use TFS services.
- IDE: Jira tool supports different IDE’s such as Eclipse, IntelliJ, Visual Studio whereas TFS supports different IDE’s such as Eclipse, IntelliJ, Android Studio, Visual Studio code etc.
- Native mobile support: Jira tools provide support for native mobile application development with Jira software for iPhone and Android with our source code in single place and track team progress in real time and discuss the issues from anywhere and assign issues whereas TFS supports some features of native mobile application development.
- Pricing: Jira tool provides different types of pricing based on the user requirements such as free trial version with limited functionality, Premium consulting/ integration services, with no entry level setup fee and, additional pricing based on services whereas TFS provides different types of pricing such as free trial version, Premium consulting/ integration services, with no entry level setup fee and, additional pricing.
- TFS is an application life-cycle management tool whereas Jira is a simple issue tracking tool and many features of TFS such as source control, automatic builds are not supported in Jira where we need to use Bamboo, BitBucket for source control repository.
- Implementation: Jira tool provides lot of features so users need to take time to implement Jira fully for their project and workflows as one time work later on we can use for lifelong with minimal changes whereas TFS has so many features but the way they implemented is very poor and users suggested to TFS that don’t push every change to production without having a trial run of the changes.
JIRA vs TFS Comparison Table
Let us discuss the comparison between JIRA vs TFS are as follows:
|The Basis of Comparison Between JIRA vs TFS||Jira||TFS|
|Native Mobile Support||Jira tool provides support for native mobile application development for iPhone and Android and able to track teams’ progress, assign issues and discussions on the go.||TFS also provides support for some of the features of the native mobile application development.|
|Integration||Jira tool provides support for integration using BitBucket along with Jira software releases 14 % more usual and resolves 23 % issue than usual. We can achieve full traceability of a project from backlog to the release.||TFS also provides support for integration with visual studio code for automated builds, deployment etc. Both are similar in price-wise but Jira with BitBucket integration is nicer than TFS with Visual studio code as they both are Atlassian products.|
|Likelihood to Renew||Jira tool is expensive in terms of pricing, feature rich with different pricing plans and cost competitive software package.||TFS tool by Microsoft is little expensive in terms of pricing but due to its features, automated builds, source code repositories most of the users willing to renew the plans even though it has different pricing plans.|
|Version Control||Jira tool doesn’t have any inbuilt version controlling like TFS.||TFS tool by default comes with git version control repository which offers centralized TFVC and distributed git version control.|
Conclusion – JIRA vs TFS
Finally, it’s an overview of the comparison between tools Jira vs TFS. I hope you will have a better understanding of these tools in brief after reading this Jira vs TFS article. As we discussed above each tool have its own advantages and disadvantages but when it comes to using most of the people or users prefer to use Jira as it has more plugins, used in open source, easy tracking of project management.
4.5 (861 ratings)
This has a been a guide to the top difference between JIRA vs TFS. Here we also discuss the JIRA vs TFS key differences with infographics, and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more