What is DevOps?
DevOps is a combination of two words, namely Development and Operation. It shows the relationship between these two teams, i.e., the development and the IT team. It develops the code faster and more efficiently, increasing production speed. The term refers to the relationship between the Development and Operation teams. Many organizations use DevOps to improve the delivery speed of the application or product. In addition, it helps an organization to give its customers the best product in the market.
Before DevOps came into the picture, there was no relation between the deployment and operation teams; they both work differently, and there is no communication between these two means; hence, product development takes a long time. They spend more time on testing and designing rather than developing a product. Therefore there is a need to increase the speed of delivering a product. DevOps comes into the picture to improve this speed, which solves this problem and improves communication between team deployment and operation.
How does DevOps make Working so Easy?
- Before developing any product, both team development and operation make the list of requirements and tasks that must be carried out for creating a product. DevOps analyze all the risks, like storage, accuracy, efficiency, failure time, recovery options, etc., before developing the product.
- It decreases the error after deploying the product to the customer. In this, the operation team knows the progress of the product which the development team is developing; they know all the details, and they interact with the development team to monitor every process to identify that developing products meet their requirement.
- Before it gives to the customer, some testing, i.e., load testing, has been performed to check for errors. If an error occurs, the development team immediately fixes that problem.
What can you do with DevOps?
- It follows an agile methodology to implement continuous integration and delivery.
- It helps to deliver the product or application in a faster manner.
- They are used to develop extensive applications like e-commerce websites and cloud-based applications.
- This workflow gives an overview of all the operations performed during the deployment, i.e., inputs provided and outputs generated from each input.
- DevOps workflow helps to identify the actions or requirements which have high priority and arrange those actions by assigning tasks.
- It helps to implement those requirements which have high priority and gives efficiency.
Tools used for automating all the processing and configuring plays a vital role in DevOps. This process of optimization is also known as DevOps automation.
Important and famous tools for DevOps automation are as follows:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS): This tool offers a large set of global computation, storage, database, analytics, and deployment services that helps organizations in faster execution, lowering IT costs and precise maintainability.
- Jenkins: This tool helps in continuous integration and testing. As soon as deployed, it quickly finds issues and maintains integrity.
- Splunk: This tool maintains Log Management by solving problems like aggregating, storing, and analyzing all logs.
Given below are the advantages mentioned:
- Maintainability: It helps to recover the actions in the newly released version without affecting the current performance.
- Predictability: It reduces the mean time between failures.
- Reproducibility: It can restore the previous version anytime, whenever needed.
- High Quality: It helps the development team develop a high-quality product focusing on infrastructure-related issues.
- Increases Speed: It makes developed products or applications faster, increasing the delivery speed.
- Reduce Risk: They identify all the requirements before developing products, reducing the risk during development.
- DevOps engineers must be able to perform troubleshooting across the system and solve the problem.
- He should be able to gain knowledge of the system and solve the problems quickly.
- You should have some basic knowledge about testing and be able to make the test scripts.
- Should be able to trace the project and increase the speed of the project by visualizing it.
- It is a trending and exciting profession in the IT industry. Hence there are plenty of opportunities for DevOps Engineers. The salary for a junior-level engineer is relatively high. The approximate pay scale of a Junior DevOps engineer in India is 11,15,900 per year. Whereas in the United States of America, the average salary for a junior DevOps Engineer is $78,696 per year.
- As a result, there is an increasing demand for trained and skilled DevOps engineers. So it can be said that this technology will become a leading technology. Hence it is creating new job roles and automation software tools.
- These training certification courses help anyone who wants to make a career as a DevOps Engineer. Certifications are available from Red Hat, DevOps Institute, Amazon web services, Microsoft Academy, etc. DevOps engineers can also improve their skills by taking advanced courses.
Why do we Need DevOps?
- Before these, Testing and Deployment were done separately after the design-build. Hence they were consuming more time than actual build cycles.
- Without DevOps, employees spent most of their time testing, designing, and deploying instead of focusing on the project building. This also leads to human errors because of manual code deployment.
- It helps organizations build and develop code in weeks that previously took months or sometimes years.
By the time DevOps has adapted, so many changes.
Some of them are given as follows:
- As the amount of data increases, the need for storage and faster execution speed also increases.
- Soon DevOps engineers will gain more control and access to the end-users than other professionals working in the companies.
In this article, we have seen what DevOps is, the need and future of DevOps technology, and how one can build a career in this technology.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “What is DevOps?” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information.