Excel Normal Distribution Graph (Table of Contents)
- Normal Distribution Graph in Excel
- How to Calculate Normal Distribution in Excel?
- How to Make Normal Distribution Graph in Excel?
Normal Distribution Graph in Excel
A normal distribution graph in excel is a continuous probability function. It is a common method to find the distribution of data. A formula has been found in excel to find a normal distribution which is categorized under statistical functions. This is completely depending on the mean and standard deviation. Normal distribution returns for a specified mean and standard deviation. It is a built-in function for finding mean and standard deviation for a set of values in excel. To find the mean value, the average function is being used. The normal distribution will calculate the normal probability density function or the cumulative normal distribution function. The graphical representation of this normal distribution values in Excel is called a normal distribution graph.
How to Calculate Normal Distribution in Excel?
Below is the data are given with some student’s name and the mark obtained by them in a particular subject.
By using this, let’s try to find the normal distribution. To find the normal distribution, we need two more data that is the mean and standard deviation. To find the mean, please apply the average function.
- Here we applied the formula =AVERAGE (C2:C15) where column C consists of the marks of each student.
- You will get the mean value of the given data as below.
- The standard deviation is calculated by using the formula =STDEV(C2:C15).
- You will get the standard deviation value of the given data as below.
Now for the Normal distribution graph in excel, we have the mean and standard deviation of the given data. By using this, we can find the normal distribution.
The normal distribution function is a statistical function that helps to get a distribution of values according to a mean value. This will help to find the variation of the values among a data set. This can be calculated by using the built-in formula.
- X: Defines for which value you want to find the distribution.
- Mean: The arithmetic means value for the distribution.
- Standard_dev: The standard deviation for the distribution.
- Cumulative: This is a logical value. A true indicates a cumulative distribution function, and a false value indicates a probability mass function.
Here we will find the normal distribution in excel for each value for each mark given.
Selecting the cell F1 applied the formula =NORM.DIST(C2,$D$2,$E$2,FALSE) Here, D2 and E2 are mean, standard deviation, respectively.
- The result will be as given below.
- By applying the same formula for each mark, you will get the normal distribution values as below.
How to Make Normal Distribution Graph in Excel?
To make a normal distribution graph in excel is very simple and easy. Let’s understand how to make a normal distribution graph in excel with an example.
The normal distribution values for each person’s mark has been calculated. By using the above calculations, we can plot a graph.
We can plot the normal distribution for each person’s marks. Use the below table.
For better understanding, while creating the graph, the mark column can be sorted from lowest to highest. This will result in a bell-shaped and indicates the normal distribution from the lowest to highest in the excel chart.
- Select the Marks Column and then go to Home tab < Sort & Filter < Sort Smallest to Largest.
- The marks column will get sorted from smallest to largest. And the data looks as below.
- To make the table a normal distribution graph in excel, select the table columns Marks and Normal distribution. Go to the Insert tab and click on Recommended Charts.
- Select All Charts while inserting the chart.
- Select the X Y (Scatter), and you can select the pre-defined graphs to start quickly. You can see the built-in styles at the top of the dialog box; click on the third style, Scatter with Smooth Lines.
- Select the second chart and click on Ok.
- The data will be scattered as bell-shaped, and this shows a variation in the distribution from lowest to highest.
- We can give the name to the X and Y-axis. Click on the “+” symbol you will get extra things to make changes on the created graph, and then click on Axis Titles.
- Now the axis names are mentioned by inserting the axis title.
This is the normal distribution graph for the given data in excel. This graph makes the analysis easier. Who all are crossed the mean value or average value can be found easily.
Things to Remember
- An error value #VALUE will be returned when the mean or standard deviation is not numeric.
- When the standard deviation ≤0 NORM.DIST function will return #NUM! error
- The normal distribution graph in excel results in a bell-shaped curve.
- Sort the values before plotting in the normal distribution graph to get a better curve-shaped graph in excel.
- A normal distribution graph in excel is a graphical representation of normal distribution values in excel. This shows the scattering of values from the mean.
This has been a guide to Normal Distribution Graph in Excel. Here we discuss how to make a normal distribution graph in excel along with an example and downloadable excel template. You can also go through our other suggested articles –