Differences Between Linux vs Windows Performance
Linux is an Operating system. It is an Open-source operating system built around the Linux kernel .it is packaged in form know as Linux distribution is used for desktop and server applications. It generally used by technical people because to use it a person should know the various Linux commands. Windows is an operating system. It has a rich user interface, it is a paid operating system. Very easy to use for non-technical people also, it can be used by technical and non-technical persons.
Let us learn much more about Linux and Windows Performance in detail
The defining component of a Linux distribution is the Linux kernel, an operating system kernel first released on September 17, 1991, by Linus Torvalds. Many Linux distributions use the word Linux in their name. Linux was originally developed for personal computers based on the Intel x86 architecture but has since been ported to more platforms than any other operating system. Because of the dominance of the Linux kernel-based Android OS on smartphones, Linux has the largest installed base of all general-purpose operating systems.
Microsoft developed an operating environment named Windows on November 20, 1985, as a graphical operating system shell for MS-DOS in response to the growing interest in graphical user interfaces. Microsoft delivered many versions windows operating system time to time it has created its dominance in field GUI based operating systems.
Microsoft delivered many versions of windows from time to time which is following.
4.5 (2,183 ratings)
Dos Based operating system includes Windows1, Windows2, Windows2.1x, Windows3, Windows3.1x.
Windows 9x are following Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME.
Windows NT Client versions –Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10
Windows Server – Server 2003 (Home Server), Server 2008 (EBS 2008 ).
Head to Head Comparison Between Linux vs Windows Performance (Infographics)
Below is the Top 5 Comparisons between Linux vs Windows Performance
Key Differences Between Linux vs Windows Performance
Below are the lists of points, describe the key Differences Between Linux vs Windows Performance
- Linux open source Operating system anyone can download it and changes the content as per the requirement and distribute.
- Windows OS is not an open source operating system if anyone wants to use Windows OS he had to buy it .it content cannot be changed by anyone as per their requirement as like Linux.
- Linux based driver is not available easily in the market because of its open source. This creates problems to use a particular hardware device. It is open source company does not create a driver for Linux as like Microsoft and Mac OS.
- Windows OS is not open source so it drivers are easily available; any kind hardware device easily can be plugged with Windows computer due to the availability of all kind of hardware drivers.
- Linux is an Open source operating system so users do not need to pay money to use to Linux.
- Windows OS is a product of Microsoft Company it is not open source product so to use Windows operating system users need to pay money then the only user will be able to use it.
- Support is one of an issue for open source product; Company which distributes the Linux makes money through the support.
- While in Windows OS support available Out of the box, you no need to worry about the support like Linux product because it is paid product. All hardware manufacturers will support Microsoft Windows. Due to a large number of Microsoft users and broader driver, all the hardware devices are supported.
- Linux Operating system is very secure; it is famous for its security
- When compared to Linux. Windows is much more prone to viruses and other attacks.
- Linux is used as a server by most of the company because of its security and powerfulness many companies provide support for Linux few of them are Red Hat, SUSE, CANONICAL.
- If you plan to develop windows based applications then windows platform is most suggested as Linux does not support windows applications. In case web windows hosting makes it a lot more easily. You don’t have to worry if it supported or not.
Linux vs Windows Performance Comparison Table
Following is the Comparison Table Differences Between Linux vs Windows Performance
|Definition||It is an open source operating system||It is an operating system developed by Microsoft Company|
|Usage||Linux is used as an operating system, as a server, provide a platform to run other application||Windows is an operating system provides a platform to run other applications. It is used as an Operating system for personal computers, server, mobile etc.|
|Benefits||Linux is open source, a developer can download and modify kernel of it according to requirement can distribute, but having a restriction that can’t charge for the money.||Windows is a low-cost operating system as compared to Mac OS, having rich graphical user interface makes this OS easy to use to anyone|
|Disadvantages||Driver issues is one of biggest issue with Linux operating system, to use any hardware device its drivers required in case of Linux operating system it may come as big problems due to no availability of drivers||Windows is paid operating system, Its driver is easily availed to computers manufactures websites any kind of hardware devices can be plugged and play with windows operating system.|
|Developed Year||First released for Linux has come in 1991||It was developed in 1985 to use as an operating system.|
Conclusion Linux vs Windows Performance
It is an operating system assembled under the model of open source software development and mostly used for server purpose. It supports many programming languages like C, C++, JAVA, and many more. You need not spend much money to obtain a license as its software comes from GNU General Public License. Linux provides high performance on workstations and on networks, you don’t have to reboot periodically to maintain performance.
It is a family of an operating system from Microsoft. Programming languages such as Visual Home Page, The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site, Visual C#, Visual C++ are used then it is better to opt for windows hosting. Microsoft Windows has made much advancement and changes which made it easy to use the operating system. It is easier than Linux. It needs to be rebooted periodically else there is a possibility of hang-up of the system.
Both Windows and Linux Hosting have advantages and disadvantages. Based on your requirements you need to opt which hosting suits better.
This has been a guide to Differences Between Linux vs Windows Performance here we have discussed their Meaning, Head to Head Comparisons, Key Differences, and Conclusion. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –
- What Are The Features Of Windows Interview Questions
- Linux vs Windows 10 – Comparison To Learn
- Lease vs Buy Differences To Learn
- Linux vs Ubuntu-Want to know about Benefits
- Programming vs Scripting – Which One Is More USeful
- Linux vs Windows Server: What are the Differences
- Linux vs BSD: What are the Benefits
- Linux vs Android: What are the benefits