Differences Between Linux vs Windows 10
Linux is an open source operating system, that allows the users to apply their desired customization. Windows 10 is a paid product from Microsoft corporation, which has very limited customization options for the users. Linux has lesser memory for storage and file name are case sensitive when compared to the Windows 10 operating system. BASH is the shell script used in Linux, and PowerShell is the shell script used in the Windows 10 systems.
Linux was developed by Linus Torvalds and released in the year 1991. In Linux, new changes like upgrading of components, modifications, configuring the components are really easy without creating any problems with existing components. The terminology of Linux consists of a bootloader, Init-program, Kernel, system library, system utility.
Linux has a wide range of distributions, that is:
- Ubuntu Linux
- Linux Mint
- Arch Linux
- Opens Use.
- Each distribution is different and has different interfaces to each other. One can choose distribution depending upon their requirements.
Linux architecture mainly divided into two parts or layers that is Kernel Layer and the User layer. Kernel layer consists of interface, kernel code, board support package.
Windows 10 was developed by Microsoft and released in the year 2015. Microsoft chose to go back to its traditional things incorporating the start menu again in windows 10 after not getting good reviews on Windows 8. In Windows 10, there is nothing like programs now it’s called apps.
Windows 10 has come up with new features like Microsoft edge browser which can explicate browsing from PC to phone to tablet very easily and quickly. Microsoft office with 3D features makes the presentations real and effective.
Windows 10 is introduced with a great feature called Cortana. It is an improved search bar which is just beside the start menu. It is Microsoft’s brand new digital assistant having its own OS. You can use it for finding stuff in a system as well as to reminders, your upcoming events like movies, travel, etc. You can ask any type of facts, queries or questions to Cortana. Windows 10 is really a new and user-friendly operating system to use.
Head to Head Comparison Between Between Linux and Windows 10
Below is the top 8 Differences Between Linux and Windows 10:
Key Differences Between Linux and Windows 10
Some key differences are explained below between Linux and Windows 10:
- Linux can be downloaded once and used or installed in a number of machines. Windows 10 is Microsoft licensed, the number of licenses purchased from Microsoft that can be legally installed in the number of machines. No. of licenses = No. of machines.
- Linux provides more security or it is more secured OS to use. Windows is less secure compared to Linux as Viruses, hackers, and malware affects the windows more quickly.
- Linux has good performance. It is much quicker, fast and smooth even on the older hardware’s. Windows 10 is slow compared to Linux because of running batches at the backend and it requires a good hardware to run.
- Linux updates are easily available and can be updated/modified quickly. Windows 10 updates are not easily available and it takes a lot of time to find through different forums to download and install the new updates.
- Linux is an open source OS whereas Windows 10 can be referred to as closed source OS.
- Linux takes care of privacy as it does not collect data. In Windows 10, privacy has been taken care of by Microsoft but still not as good as Linux.
- Linux is mainly used by developers because of its command-line tool. We can use a number of command-line tools and effective scripting in Linux. Windows 10 mainly used for its desktop OS. It is more popular among developers for its user-friendly look.
- Linux is providing online support with a number of forums and websites to check and understand Linux. Paid support is also provided. Windows 10 has a lot of documentation on the official website and paid support is being provided by Microsoft only. Windows 10 support is more easily accessible.
- Linux provides the number of application which can be incorporated easily and free. Windows 10 does not have this liability.
- Linux provides centralized space for installing, searching and uninstalling software or application. In Windows 10, downloading, installing of applications can be done at a different place as per user convenience.
Linux and Windows 10 Comparison Table
Following is the Comparison Table Differences Between Linux and Windows 10.
|BASIS FOR COMPARISON||Linux||Windows 10|
|Cost||Linux distribution is mostly free. Some are paid but at cheaper rates.||Its paid only and at higher rates than Linux distributions.|
|Size||Linux size is small compared to windows.||Its size is quite large then Linux.|
|Language used||It’s written in C language.||It’s written in C++, C, and Assembly language.|
|Extensibility||Linux is extensible or we can say customizable.||It is not customizable.|
|Case sensitive||In Linux, file names are sensitive.||File names are not case sensitive.|
|Booting||Linux can be booted from any disk.||It can be booted from prime disk.|
|Command-line||In Linux, BASH is default shell.||In Windows 10, Windows Power Shell is used.|
|Platforms||It is available for all the platforms.||It supports only the defined platforms.|
Linux and Windows 10 are the two different operating systems and both Linux and Windows 10 are popular in their zones. Linux is gaining grounds in IT companies and other sectors because of its ready availability, security, and performance. Linux is now the first choice in organizations to develop the applications for the banking sectors.
Windows 10 is always the first choice of the end users because of its new features and look. It is also referred to as known OS as almost everyone is familiar with Windows OS or environment and finding it easy to use. Windows 10 is used by the organisations for upgrading from windows last versions and for dot net applications enrichment.
Each Operating system has its own strong areas and advantages. These can be used based on your requirements. People are smart enough nowadays to select the operating system for their office, home or in a group of people, developing applications and other purposes.
This has been a useful guide to Differences Between Linux vs Windows 10. Here we have discussed Linux vs Windows 10 head to head comparison, key difference along with infographics and comparison table. You may also look at the following article to learn more –