Difference Between Linux vs Android
OS is a software which is mounted on a system and controls all programs implemented on it. An operating system is accountable for resourcefully utilize the memory in the system. major elements of an OS are
- User Interface
- Application programming interface
Several popular and widely used OS in the market are Windows, Linux, Redhat, Mac, Ios, Ubuntu, Unix etc.
What is Linux?
Linux runs across numerous systems in the market and it is majority a community-based setup. Being built by Linus Torvalds a Finnish student with the moto to provide opensource OS in the market. Linux was basically a derived version of Unix.
It is a monolithic OS where the operating system itself executes completely from the kernel. Often compared with Commercial UNIX systems but much more reliable than desktop oriented systems. ideally built for power users and programmers.properties of Linux systems,
- Open source and can be easily downloaded
- Installation can also be performed with ease
- Quiet stable OS
- Developed by a group of internet developers
Joining the Desktop market. Linux developers resolute networking service as the prior stuff, with office applications being the bottom of the priority. Linux also provides trade services and database support for organizations like Amazon, the German army, US Post Office etc. Especially Internet providers and Internet service providers have grown fond of Linux as firewall, proxy- and web server, and you will find a Linux box within reach of every UNIX system administrator who appreciates a comfortable management station. As a Linux user today all means of getting to know your system inside out, but it is no longer essential to hold knowledge in order to make the system comply with your requests.
What is Android?
Android is an open source OS built majority for mobiles and tablets .built primarily to satisfy low powered devices and uses Java, executed on virtual machines. Android Inc created the platform initially which was purchased by Google.
Android OS systems are frequently updated and a new name is associated with each release. the frequent release of versions makes the several information on the system obsolete and at the same pace. Common features of Android OS,
- mobile development open platform
- hardware reference well suitable primarily for mobile devices
- Linux 2.6 is used for powering the system
- an application and UI framework involved
Here the application layer acts as the top layer holding its own set of libraries in action. all these libraries are built using C/C++ languages.
Dalvik Virtual Machine :
Android-based systems utilize own VM, which is known as the Dalvik. The resident java bytecode cannot be directly executed here because the DVM is built upon a special bytecode for executions. an inbuilt tool is used to allow Java class to DEX conversions.
The DVM functioning is extremely optimized so as to carry out as efficiently and as in effect as possible on mobile devices that are normally equipped with a slow CPU. The DVM’s are implemented to execute multiple VM’s in an optimized manner.
Head To Head Comparison Between Linux vs Android (Infographics)
Below is the top 5 difference between Linux vs Android
Key Difference Between Linux vs Android
Both Linux vs Android are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Difference Between Linux and Android:
- Linux is developed majorly for personal and office system users, Android is built peculiarly for mobile and tablet kind of devices.
- Android holds a Larger footprint comparative to LINUX.
- Usually, multiple architecture support is provided by Linux and Android supports only two major architectures, ARM and x86. The ARM platform is widespread on mobile phones while the Android-x86 targets mainly the Mobile Internet Devices. This functionality acts as the fundamental difference between the two Operating Systems, it acts as a key difference between Linux vs Android.
- Power management is accomplished using APM, Android relies majority on its power management module which stands very close to Linux power extensions.
- Linux is a popular OS whereas Android is a framework executing on top of the Linux kernel.
- Linux system uses magnetic drives, standard Linux systems uses EXT journaling file system, To provide a robust file system, embedded systems use solid-state memory devices such as NOR for code execution and NAND for storage. In other hand, android systems use flash memory for storage related needs.
- Linux systems use GNU C library, Android uses a C library. Booting Android device, the kernel loads just like it would on a Linux distribution. though most part of the software is different. A GNU C library is not associated with android which is used on standard Linux distributions.
- Android uses Dalvik virtual machine to run its applications, several top mobile developers use JVM for its execution. Linux on the other end does not take in any VM’s for executing.
Linux vs Android Comparison Table
Below is the topmost comparison between Linux vs Android
|The basis of comparison Between Linux vs Android||
|Developed||Internet developers||Android Inc|
|Updates||Less frequently updated||Frequently Updated|
|Release schedule||Varies around 5 years||Varies around few months|
Conclusion – Linux vs Android
Android is an opensource OS used in mobile, tablet devices and running on top of Linux Kernel distribution. On mobile devices, Android plays a vital role but yet it’s exactly a framework which stands on top of this Linux kernel. Linux, on the other hand, is a legacy OS which stands highly suitable for desktop and system users.
This has a been a guide to the top difference between Linux vs Android. Here we also discuss the Linux vs Android key differences with infographics, and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –