Difference Between laravel vs Ruby on Rails
Laravel is a modern web application framework, that design web application easily and rapidly. It can perform the customization of the web application with equal ease. It is an open-source and highly used framework, written in PHP. Since it is open-source, its source code is hosted on GitHub. There are several features of Laravel, which can attract a developer for creating a web application. Its scalability and performance are highly-noted among the community of developers. Ruby on Rails is one such framework which helps the developer with a lot of ready-made features, so that developer can simply focus on business logic, rather than delving into framework intricacies. It is a server-side web application framework, created in Ruby.
- There are major tasks that remain quite common for almost every web application like caching mechanism, session management, routing, authentication etc. Laravel makes an indigenous effort in taking the trouble out of the development process by easing all these common tasks. Its architectural style allows developers to come up with their own infrastructure, specifically created for their application.
- Since Laravel also uses MVC patterns efficiently, the application’s business logic can be implemented using controllers or directly utilizing declaration. It gives the developer flexibility with some privileges, which allow them to develop enterprise application having complex business logic to small websites. Logic is maintained using IoC i.e. Inversion of control, a concept to managing dependencies between classes. Dependency injection along with IoC makes a wonderful combination in maintaining the dependency. This Laravel feature is one of the most noted and utilized features.
- Any system’s components can be separated and again combined, giving web application modularity features. Business logic can be scattered in several modules, allowed by Laravel. This modular support is a key aspect of Laravel, in separating business logic. Routing and caching are other features that Laravel supports effortlessly. When it comes to testing, Laravel support with PHPUnit, although included out of the box. A powerful template engine called Blade is provided with Laravel, which is motivated by template inheritance and sections.
Ruby on Rails
- Rails are supported by web standards like JSON and XML, which are heavily utilized for data transfer purposes. Some paradigms are standard for any framework during a web development process, like convention over configuration, the DRY principle in which the developer is not supposed to repeat a logic. These paradigms are actively promoted and supported by Rails. It is based on MVC i.e. model-view-controller framework, which is a benchmark for the development of web pages and web services.
- One of the key features which Ruby on Rails brings along is metaprogramming. There are several features of Rails including metaprogramming, which reduce the developer’s time, allowing him to concentrate on business logic. Unlike some other framework where the developer needs to do coding from scratch, metaprogramming gives the developer an edge, for heavy tasks. The conventional approach is preferred over configuration, which can ease a developer’s life.
Head To Head Comparison Between laravel vs Ruby on Rails (Infographics)
Below is the top 8 difference between laravel vs Ruby on Rails:
Key Difference between laravel vs Ruby on Rails
Both laravel vs Ruby on Rails are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Difference Between laravel vs Ruby on Rails:
- Laravel is an open source MVC based framework released in 2011 whereas Rails is MVC based, an excellent web application framework, written in Ruby language, release in 2008.
- Laravel in written in PHP, released under an MIT license whereas Rails framework is created in Ruby, having a nice readable syntax, under MIT license
- Laravel is suited from enterprise level project having complex business logic to small websites whereas Rails is excellent for metaprogramming language and web application written for small projects.
- Laravel has an MVC pattern, having its own CLI called as Artisan, which can perform tasks like migrating databases, clearing cache etc. whereas Rails is supported by same MVC pattern, having data handling features with ActiveRecord.
- Laravel has ORM tools called Eloquent and Artisan for CLI purpose whereas Rails uses the web server like WEBrick, Apache, NGINX, Cherokee.
- Laravel has a surging community having its code hosted on GitHub, whereas Rails, arrived earlier on web landscape has a bigger community with extensive guides and documentation.
- Laravel is written with PHP, having an easy learning curve, gives scopes to creativity whereas Rails written with Ruby, is compatible with seasoned developers, with a steep learning curve.
- Laravel has some wonderful feature like Blade which is a template engine, which can also use PHP code directly in view whereas Rails magic feature is its support for third-party plugins i.e. Ruby gems, which assist in the development and are well documented.
- Laravel is better suited for performance and scalability whereas Rails is slower when it comes to scalability.
- Laravel is better for web application with built-in authentication capabilities whereas Rails wonderful feature for web application in the form of CoffeeScript, a built-in static compilation tool.
laravel vs Ruby on Rails Comparison Table
Below is the topmost comparison between laravel vs Ruby on Rails
|The basis of comparison Between laravel vs Ruby on Rails||Laravel||Rails|
|Language||Based on PHP||Based on Ruby|
|Syntax||Uses the semicolon and curly braces||Does not support semicolon and curly braces|
|Usage||Enterprise level application to small sites||Database-backed web application, meta-programming|
|Existence||Initial release on June 2011||Came into 2004|
|Community||Laracasts, rapidly surging||Rails Casts, already renown community for Rails|
|Template engine||A blade is the template engine||ERB is the default engine|
|ORM||Eloquent is the used ORM||ActiveRecord is the used ORM|
|Features||Fast ORM, own CLI, authentication capabilities||Ruby with clear syntax, third-party plugins, good MVC support|
Conclusion – laravel vs Ruby on Rails
In this laravel vs Ruby on Rails article, we have seen that both framework, have their own set of features which makes them unique in their own ways. Rails are the framework, better suited for small size projects having good documentation with guides and extensive libraries. Its arrival on the web landscape is earlier than Laravel, hence its community is stronger and popular among developer. Ruby is a nice readable language at the same time, its coding is easier to read and write than any other traditional object-oriented language. Laravel, on the other hand, is loaded with features which are better suited for creating any web application. Its ORM tool Eloquent, CLI tool, Artisan, allows developers to perform different tasks cache clearing, migrating the database with ease. Its documentation is thorough and covers every aspect of the language. Authentication feature of a web application is supported efficiently with built-in feature of Laravel.
Thus, with so many aspects of both laravel vs Ruby on Rails framework, one can choose to go with anyone among them. It’s application requirement, and developer’s ease with language and framework, which would decide the usage of the framework.
This has a been a guide to the top difference between laravel vs Ruby on Rails. Here we also discuss the laravel vs Ruby on Rails key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more