Difference Between Node JS vs Ruby on Rails
- Server-side capabilities are provided extensively in Node JS, a developer can listen to and reply to an HTTP request on the computer, listen to the traffic network and at the same time can access the database from a computer directly.
Ruby on Rails
- Rails is an MVC (Model-View-Controller) based framework, providing structures for a database, web pages, and web services. Web standards such as JSON and XML for data transfer purposes are facilitated by Rails. There are certain other paradigms that are well promoted and supported by Rails such as CoC (Convention over Configuration), DRY (Don’t repeat yourself) and the active record pattern.
- Rails are packed with several features that make the developer more productive, like metaprogramming. Another framework utilizes extensive code generation from scratch but Rails uses Metaprogramming techniques. Rails also use code generation but depend on metaprogramming for heavy tasks. An active record would save an object into the database. Rails also do not require much of the configuration, prefer the conventional approach.
- Rails that emerge in the 2000s greatly impact web development, through lots of innovative features like seamless database table creations, migrations to enable rapid application development. Its influence on other frameworks is pretty apparent.
Head To Head Comparison Between Node JS vs Ruby on Rails
Below is the top 8 difference between Node JS vs Ruby on Rails
Key Difference Between Node JS vs Ruby on Rails
Both Node JS vs Ruby on Rails are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Differences Between Node JS vs Ruby on Rails
- Node JS is ideal for developing small size projects whereas Rails is a web application framework, well suited for database-backed web application in MVC pattern, release in 2008.
- NodeJS is best suited for I/O non-blocking, event-based application whereas Rails is better suited for metaprogramming and database backed modern web programming.
- NodeJS is derived from event-driven model architecture whereas Rails follows a model-view-controller pattern, the model represents the data which is handled in an Active Record.
- NodeJS provides capabilities to create own web servers which will handle HTTP request asynchronously whereas Rails uses WEBrick, Apache, NGINX, Cherokee.
- NodeJS has a decent size community with lots of projects available with Github whereas Rails has a huge and strong community of developers along with a huge repository of Github.
- NodeJS has an event-driven model based on the asynchronous call, whereas philosophy for Rails revolves around convention over configuration principle.
- NodeJS is easier to install with some archive files needs to be installed on system whereas Rails installation process is longer than NodeJS.
Node JS vs Ruby on Rails Comparison Table
Below is the topmost Comparison between Node JS vs Ruby on Rails
|The Basis Of Comparison Between Node JS vs Ruby on Rails||NodeJS||Rails|
|Application||Fast and scalable server-side application||Database backed web application, meta-programming|
|Usage||Highly useful when a scalable and faster application is required||Best suited for large-scale applications|
|Scope||Developers can utilize it on client and server side||Server-side framework|
|Installation||Need to install archive file on a system||Require a precompiled version of Ruby via RubyInstaller /RailsInstaller|
|Scalability||Highly scalable||Less scalable as compare to NodeJS|
|Performance||Page load is faster across a site||Slower as compare to NodeJS|
|Market||Huge market demand||Not as popular as NodeJS in a current market scenario|
Conclusion – Node JS vs Ruby on Rails
At the same time, NodeJS can be little inconsistent, the reason being its APIs keeps on changing at frequent intervals. Any Express application structure is highly flexible and free, which can be a loose side for any application. Rails are very strict, so it’s hard to write bad code, developers that are not used to asynchronous programming have a problem with lots of callbacks in NodeJS, which is purely event-driven model based.
Both Node JS vs Ruby on Rails have their own set of pros and cons, but both Node JS vs Ruby on Rails are wonderful technologies. Thus, every aspect regarding the project should be evaluated on a case by case basis rather than believing in one is better than the rest of all situations. It is the developer ease of usage and skills, which would pave the way for project development in a timely manner.
4.5 (2,314 ratings)
This has a been a guide to the top differences between Node JS vs Ruby on Rails. Here we also discuss the Node JS vs Ruby on Rails key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following Node JS vs Ruby on Rails articles to learn more –