Difference between Jira vs Github
Jira is an issue tracking tool or product developed by the Atlassian company. It was licensed under a proprietary license. It is useful in the agile project management process. It is mostly used for bug tracking in Agile projects. It was developed and is maintained by Atlassian. It was purely developed and written using Java programming language. Github is a source code repository or version control system that is hosted based on a web application. The key members involved in founding and developing the Github are Tom Preston Werner, Scott Chacon, Chris Wanstrath, P. J. Hyett. It was purely developed and written using the Ruby programming language.
Let us study much more about Jira and Github in detail:
- The word Jira was derived from a Japanese word Godzilla from the word Gojira. It supports different cross-platform operating systems. It is a kind of project management software and bug tracking system. It was licensed for free in the case of nonprofit organizations or any open source projects being run. It was initially released in the year 2002. The latest stable version was released in the month of October 2018.
- Github was founded in the year 2008. It was recently acquired by the Software giant Microsoft in the month of June 2018. Its’ headquarters is based in California, USA. It has most million numbers of users and million numbers of repositories hosted on its site and had become the largest source code host in the world. Github was initially a start-up business. The projects on the Github can be manipulated and updated using the Git command-line interface.
Head To Head Comparison Between Jira vs Github (Infographics)
Below is the top 9 difference between Jira vs Github
Key Differences Between Jira vs Github
Both Jira vs Github are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Difference Between Jira vs Github
- Jira has latest features such as full agile support, great search and reporting features in its software whereas Github does not have these features such as searching and reporting.
- Jira has ready to use workflows that save more time and allows developers to concentrate on business logic rather than process-based tasks whereas Github lacks in ready to use features of this type.
- Jira has customized dashboards whereas Github does not have customized dashboards.
- Jira has agile planning and reporting tools and real-time tracking for new releases or upcoming releases whereas Github does not have these features but has a command line interface or Graphical user interface to push the code.
- Jira has REST APIs feature to integrate and interact with different third party tools and several market plugins and add-on features to be used across Atlassian Marketplace whereas Github has only REST APIs feature to integrate with other tools where code migration from different version control systems are easier.
- Jira runs on the cloud or can be set up on our own server to be used for secure or financial apps where privacy is the main concern whereas Github runs on its enterprise cloud server.
- Jira less points score and less customer experience index whereas Github has more points scored and more customer experience index
- Jira has a monthly payment for its enterprise use whereas Github has monthly or one-time payment or annual subscription for its enterprise subscription.
- Jira is being used by top companies or brands such as Cisco, eBay, NASA, Salesforce, Adobe, LinkedIn, etc. were as Github is being used almost all of the top brands and enterprises such as KrauseFx, HubSpot, Kakao, MailChimp etc.
- Jira supports Windows, Android, Mac, iPhone or iOS devices, Linux and web-based interfaces etc. whereas Github supports Windows, iPhone, Mac, and all web-based windows.
- Jira has great user experience, issue integration, advanced reporting tools, customized dashboards, data import, and export features mobile application interface and on-demand cloud services etc. whereas Github has issue tracking functionalities, support for different programming languages of more than 200, Github desktop tool feature, robust REST APIs and integrated code review mechanism.
Jira vs Github Comparison Table
Below is the topmost comparison between Jira vs Github
|The Basic comparison between Jira vs Github||
|Definition||It is bug tracking or defect management or project management software.||It is a source code repository or version control system to host the source code of any project.|
|License||It was licensed under the Proprietary License and is free for non-profit entities.||It was licensed under Github which comes under Microsoft.|
|It has different plugins to integrate with third-party applications.||It has different features to support integration features by migrating from other version control systems.|
|Developed||It was developed using Java Programming Language.||It was developed using Ruby Programming Language.|
|Generality||It has different dashboards like Kanban or Scrum based on the project complexities.||It has the Command Line interface or Graphical User interface where anyone can be used based on the users wish.|
|Maintenance||It is being maintained by Atlassian||It is being maintained by Github (Microsoft).|
|Built-in facilities||It is purely a web-based application.||It is based on Command Line Interface and also Graphical User interface based.|
|Ease of use||It is easier to use in Agile methodologies.||It is easier to use and can be easily used with any type of project.|
|Flexibility||It supports any kind of project and also migrated projects.||It supports any latest codes and builds server can also be integrated.|
Conclusion – Jira vs Github
Jira is a bug tracking system or used for agile project management whereas Github is a source code repository to host the source code of a project in its site to effectively push the code and maintain the developing project consistently from all the developers. This will allow the perfect maintenance of developing large projects. Jira vs Github both have different advantages and uses in terms of Project Development and Maintenance.
Compared to Jira, Github has been more prominent as it is being the version control system whereas Jira is a bug tracking tool. Github has different features in maintaining the source code of a project whereas Jira is for maintaining the project user stories or to maintain the defects of a developing or maintenance project. Both are equivalently important in terms of a digital project or any latest projects which do follow an agile methodology.
4.5 (1,599 ratings)
This has a been a guide to the top difference between Jira vs Github. Here we also discuss the Jira vs Github key differences with infographics, and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more