Differences Between HTML vs XHTML
HTML can be expanded as HyperText Markup Language that was derived from SGML, and XHTML can be expanded as eXtensible Markup Language that was derived from XML. Both of these programming languages are used for the development of web application or websites. When compared to the core characteristics, HTML is case-sensitive, less expensive, and it uses simple text formatted code. While, XHTML is not case-sensitive, expensive than HTML, and it uses XHTML along with XML as the application code.
- HTML was earlier proposed by Tim Berners Lee and developed by W3C and WHATWG and released in the year 1993. HTML has been extended from SGML. The filename extension of HTML is .html and .htm.
- HTML pages can be developed using the HTML editors like Notepad (in Windows machine) and Text edit (in Mac Book or Mac Machine).
- The basic HTML page structure consists of 1. Doctype tag like <!DOCTYPE html>, which describes the HTML version written. 2. HTML Root Element tag like <html></html>, which is having all the code written for web page. 3. Head element tag like <h1></h1>, in this title and heading is described. 4. Body element tag like <body></body>, it holds the content of the document.
- XHTML was developed by World Wide Web Consortium and it was released in the year 2000. It has been extended from XML and HTML. The filename extension of XHTML is .xhtml and .xht. The last release of XHTML is XHTML5, which is being developed as XML configured with HTML5 specifications.
- XHTML developed pages can be used in existing browsers or in new browsers as well and they can be easily viewed, edited and validated with help of XML tools. It is compatible with all the browsers and can be easily embedded with scripts and applets based on HTML and XML document object model.
- It is very fast, accurate, easily maintained, editable, convertible and formatted. XHTML always provides a consistent and well-defined structure format for web pages that can be easily processed by web browsers.
- XHTML syntax is almost same as HTML syntax. XHTML structure is also similar to HTML only but XHTML is case sensitive and attributes are added, changed and cannot be shortened. In XHTML, it should follow the proper structure and tags should be properly nested.
Head to Head Comparison between HTML vs XHTML
Below is the Top 8 Comparisons between HTML vs XHTML
Key Differences Between HTML vs XHTML
Some key Difference Between HTML and XHTML are explained below
- In HTML, we can have the empty or open tags means it is not required to end the tag e.g. <p>. In XHTML, the tags should be closed or self closed, if opened g <p> </p> or <br/>
- In HTML, all the written text that should be displayed in browser can put under HTML body element. In XHTML, the content can be put in blocks.
- In HTML, While defining the attributes it is not necessary to mention quotes. For e.g. <option selected>. In XHTML, while defining the attributes it is mandatory to mention quotes. For e.g. <option selected=”Selected”>.
- In HTML, the values of attributes are not so important. For e.g. <input type=”radiobutton” selected>. In XHTML, the values of attributes are important. For e.g. <input type=”radiobutton” selected=”selected”>.
- In HTML, there are no strict rules on writng the structure of elements for e.g. <p> <b> Hello world</p></b>. In XHTML, there are strict rules on writing structureof elements For e.g. <p><b>Hello world</b></p>.
- In HTML, the tags and attributes can be described in lower case or upper case. In XHTML, the tags and attributes can be described in lower case only.
- In HTML, one root element is not mandatory. In XHTML, the documents should have one root element.
- In HTML, XML declaration is not necessary. In XHTML, it is based on the set of rules of XML.
HTML vs XHTML Comparison Table
Following is the Comparison Table Between HTML vs XHTML
|Abbreviation||Hypertext Markup Language.||Extensible Hypertext Markup Language.|
|Case Sensitive||HTML is not case sensitive.||XHTML is case sensitive.|
|Internet Media Type||For HTML, it is text/html.||For XHTML, it is application/xhtml+xml.|
|Expressive||HTML is less expressive.||XHTML is more expressive as compared to HTML.|
|Application||HTML is an application of SGML.||XHTML is an application of XML.|
|Format||HTML has Document file format.||XHTML has markup language as type format.|
|Parser||HTML requires lenient HTML specific parser.||It needs to parse with standard XML parser.|
|Constraint||In HTML, there is no concern well-formed constraints.||In XHTML, it is concerned with well-formed constraints.|
Conclusion – HTML vs XHTML
HTML and XHTML both are markup languages used for creating web pages and our applications. HTML and XHTML both are almost similar but some key difference between HTML and XHTML make them apart from each other. XHTML is the extended version of HTML only with help of using XML as well invalidating the elements.
HTML and XHTML both are widely used in developing the Android-based web applications. It provides the rapid development. It also helps in server-side scripting with help of other languages are embedded into it. It makes a user interface more agile and flexible.
XHTML would be easy to learn if one knows HTML. HTML’s latest version HTML5 is most widely preferred and popular among the developers and IT organizations. HTML is easy to learn and understand, as its syntax is quite simple. In this modern era, the technologies are changing rapidly but stick to or knowledge of basics of any language is always the key to success and help us to learn new technologies in a much better way.
This has been a useful guide to Differences between HTML vs XHTML here we have discussed their Meaning, Head to Head comparison, Key difference, and Conclusion. You may also look at the following article to learn more –