Differences Between HTML and HTML5
HTML is the Hypertext Markup Language, which is the widely-used programming language for web application or website development. HTML5 is the latest version of HTML programming that allows better management of the web application or the website contents. While HTML doesn’t allows support for Video and Audio data in the programming language, HTML5 allows any kind of data to be incorporated in the program. In terms of browser compatibility, applications developed with HTML can be accessed in all the major browsers, and HTML5 is supported only in a few browsers as it doesn’t contain all the tags and elements from the traditional HTML code.
What is HTML?
HTML t stands for HyperText Markup Language. Browsers don’t display the HTML tags but used to render the content of the page. Hypertext is a special method by which we can move around on the web by clicking on hyperlinks that open the next page. Markup is HTML tags such as opening and closing tags with text inside them by which we can format the text, put hyperlinks, images, etc. HTML acts as basic building blocks for World Wide Web.HTML was created by Tim Berners-Lee in 1991 who is also the founder of the World Wide Web.
What is HTML5?
Head To Head Comparison Between HTML and HTML5 (Infographics)
Below is the Top 9 Comparison Between HTML vs HTML5
Key Difference Between HTML and HTML5
Below are the most important Difference between HTML vs HTML5
- In HTML video and audio are not supported whereas in HTML5, video, and audio are integrated into it.
- HTML is compatible with almost all browsers whereas HTML5 is supported by most of the modern browsers such as Firefox, Mozilla, and Chrome, etc.
- In HTML, vector graphics is supported with the help of other tools such as Silver light, Flash, etc. whereas in HTML5 vector graphics is supported by default it has canvas and SVG inbuilt.
- In HTML5 applet tag was removed which is used for displaying applets and an object tag was introduced whereas, in HTML, the applet tag is being used.
- In HTML <a> tag was used as an anchor as well as for referring to a link whereas in HTML5 <a> tag is used as hyperlink only.
- In HTML, <acronym> tag was used for displaying abbreviation whereas in HTML5 this tag is replaced by the <abbr> tag which will be used for the same purpose.
- HTML unable to handle inaccurate syntax and other errors whereas HTML5 is capable of handling the errors.
- In HTML5, <table> tag can have only one attribute border, and value need to be zero or one whereas in HTML we can have many attributes.
- In HTML, communication between client and server will happen using streaming and long pooling as it doesn’t have support for sockets whereas HTML5 has support for web socket through which full-duplex communication is possible between client and server.
Comparison Table HTML vs HTML5
Below is the Comparison table between HTML vs HTML5
|Basis of comparison||HTML||HTML5|
|Definition||Hypertext Markup Language is an acronym for HTML which is a primary language for developing web pages.||HTML5 is the new version of HTML which has new functionalities with Markup language as the core technology to interact with internet technologies for structuring and presenting the content.|
|Multimedia support||HTML doesn’t have support for video and audio in the language||HTML5 has the support for video and audio as they are integrated into it.|
|Communication||In HTML, Communication between client and server was done through streaming and long pooling as it doesn’t have socket support||In HTML5, it has support for web sockets which allows full duplex communication between client and server.|
|Browser compatibility||HTML is compatible with almost all browsers as it is existing from long time and browsers did enough modification to support all features in HTML||In HTML5, we have many new tags, elements and removed/modified few tags, elements so only a few browsers are fully compatible with HTML5 as of now.|
|Graphics Support||In HTML, Vector Graphics support is possible with the help of other tools such as Silverlight, Adobe Flash, VML etc.||In HTML5, Vector Graphics is supported by default as it has canvas and SVG inbuilt.|
|Error Handling||HTML cannot handle the inaccurate syntax and any other errors.||HTML5 is capable of handling inaccurate syntax and other errors.|
Finally, its an overview of the difference between HTML and HTML5. I hope you will have a better understanding of HTML and HTML5 after reading this HTML and HTML5 article. HTML5 will be useful for web developers as it provides so many capabilities such as video and audio support, new tags, and elements. W3C also announced that future update of HTML5 will concentrate on privacy tools. Slowly all web developers are moving to HTML5 as it has more specifications than the previous version of HTML.
This has been a useful guide to Differences Between HTML vs HTML5 here we have discussed their meaning, Head to Head comparisons, Key differences, and Conclusions. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –
- HTML vs XML- What are the differences?
- HTML5 and Flash- Find Out The 9 Awesome Differences
- HTML vs CSS – 6 Useful Comparison To Learn
- C++ vs Java – Know The Top 8 Most Important Differences
- Java Vector vs ArrayList – 8 Amazing Comparison You Need To Know
- Python vs Go – Find Out The 6 Most Amazing Differences
- C++ vs Go: Which is one is the best