Updated June 8, 2023
Overview of Group Discussion Tips For Interview
Group discussion tips for interviews can be very helpful. Many institutes and companies include group discussions to judge candidates’ suitability before testing them in personal interviews. Before the interview, group discussions evaluate your communication and interpersonal abilities to eliminate candidates who do not match the criteria/requirements. Thus, the panel seeks verbal and nonverbal skills, clarity of thought process, leadership qualities, and other interpersonal skills.
Tips for a Successful Group Discussion
For any Group discussion, there are two objectives-
- Basic objective
- To assess the participation ability of the candidates.
- To determine the ability to express their view in a team environment.
- Higher level objective
- To evaluate a candidate’s ability to ensure maximum participation and consensus.
Below is the list of do’s and don’ts of group discussion.
Do’s of a Group Discussion
- Listen and understand the subject properly when announced.
- Make a list of points that you would want to emphasize.
- You can start with the basics of group discussion if you are comfortable with the topic and have enough points.
- Make a short contribution of 25-30 seconds 3-4 times.
- Give others a chance to speak as well.
- Respect and recognize the contribution of every member.
- If you do not agree with some point, then politely disagree because it’s a discussion, not an argument.
- Try to make a good impression while speaking, a fundamental group discussion skill.
- Maintain eye contact with the group members while you are discussing a point.
- Also, be in formal attire strictly.
Don’ts of a Group Discussion
- Over-speak or snatch others’ chance to speak.
- Argue or shout during the Group Discussion.
- Look at the GD panel for any confirmation.
- Talk about irrelevant things.
- Try to dominate the discussion.
- Gestures like finger-pointing and table thumping can appear aggressive.
This post is a complete heads-up on group discussion tips for interviews that will help you to crack the interview. The above information has also been a guide for the group discussion tips for the interviews, which are easy to remember. Therefore, here are some articles that will help you understand the group discussion tips for interviews.