Updated April 27, 2023
Are you not able to focus your mind on things? Does your mind hover around things? Is your manager speaking out about important meeting discussions, and is your mind drifting elsewhere? Don’t worry. Around 2000 was taken and studied by Matthew Killingsworth and Daniel Gilbert, sampled over time for their work behavior. Around 47 percent of folk had shown this behavior of non-focusing on the task assigned. Here are ways that can help you concentrate better at work.
So what happens in an unstable and wandering mind?
Did you know that an empty mind is a devil’s place? Meditation has provided a good means to overcome mind wandering. Researchers have studied various modes of our brain and have come to the point of how meditation can help one stick to one thoughts and prevent hovering minds and thoughts. People practice focused attention meditation to overcome this issue and how it is becoming a serious issue for employees at work.
There are Cognitive shifts in our brains during meditation. At first, your mind might get derailed in regular instances, just like in Alice in Wonderland, but slowly you will focus on every breath of yours by sticking to your breath each day. Gradually, you will steer your attention back to the last where you left off. Some other researchers say that in regular practice, you do not hover around thoughts –thoughts slowly get less sticky now. A default mode of the brain distracts our minds when we are not doing anything and starts drifting with various ideas, engaging in activities we are not engaging in. It keeps bargaining during our meditation and concentrating minds.
Here are 8 steps to cope with such a hovering mind:
- Practice Yoga, gymnastics, or something you love doing.
- Keep track of what you are doing, and bring your mind back to the task where you left off.
- Do one task at a time.
- Read books for hours to set your mind in one place for hours.
- Align your thoughts with the task you have undertaken to be done.
- Concentrate on your breath. Breathe in and out regularly.
- Try to stick to one thought. If your mind hovers, try to build control over it and bring it back each time.
- Write one document at a time.
Defects of A Hovering Mind
- Lack of concentration: A hovering mind leads to a lack of attention. You cannot stick to one thought—your mind wavers. Research by Gilbert has shown that this is due to activities in the primordial part of the brain. So continued yoga and meditation can reduce activities in this brain zone.
- More errors at work: There are more errors at work as the brain finds it difficult to do one task and often takes up multitasking at work, resulting in mistakes and poor quality of work resulting in rework and cost to the company.
- Delay in task undertaken: A lot of time will be wasted doing one task, and tasks undertaken will be delayed.
- Lack of thoughtfulness: As you cannot concentrate, you will not be able to stick to your thoughts, and you will keep hovering about here and there.
- Lack of sleep: Sleeplessness again results from lack of concentration, which results in dark circles, weight put up, laziness, and many other side defects. So concentrate on your thoughts and avoid this sleeplessness.
- Wastage of time and energy: A lot of time is wasted returning to where you stopped. Your brain keeps hovering, and you all forget where you were. This weakens the time and energy of the worker, employee, and the company.
- More rework and cost added to company: Cost to company and rework gets added up and, in a way, leads to more number of errors and costs to the company with a lot of time taken to do a single task that could have been finished earlier.
Benefits of Building Focus your mind:
- Getting into the practical implications of practicing yoga or meditation and concentrating on your breath, breathe in and breathe out exercises to focus your mind and also trains various aspects of our attention. It has shown remarkable improvement in students’ test scores and employees’ work-related performances.
- While in a gym, you build your muscles. In yoga, you build upon your thoughts and concentration power. In research, it has been proved that meditation has a different level of brain activity. Neuroplasticity is a science of change in brain activity due to continued meditation practice, and different brain activity has been observed in such humans.
- There is a complete deactivation of the wandering mind, i.e., the medial prefrontal cortex of the mind, by meditation. This allows them to concentrate better and for longer hours on their work.
- They develop a better capacity to disengage. According to research, there is a greater connection between the distraction zone and attention-concentrating brain zones, so they connect to the work they undertake without distractions.
Tips To Focus your mind More and Work More
Write Down Tasks
Make a to-do list to keep you updated on all the tasks you must complete on time. Write down all tasks and make sure you constantly develop this habit. This will help you keep track of work completed and work left to be done. Make a list. This will help you keep your thoughts and brain together in one place.
Put Up Pictures
Put up all pictures to motivate you and your team to track down all the yet-to-do lists of work aligned for work. This will help you focus if you can concentrate all your zeal and enthusiasm on one array of thought processes.
Shut Down Distractions
All the distractions like Facebook and social media accounts waste much of our time. Do not log on to social media while at work. Listen to music. It helps to concentrate better. This can be a good way to remove distractions out there.
Drinking lots of water helps to concentrate. Many times walking helps to focus. Eating a healthy breakfast also helps to concentrate better at work. A hungry stomach will never allow you to concentrate at work. So it’s important to keep up a heavy breakfast taken start for any work so that you can concentrate without distractions at work.
Many times we skip breakfast and meals. A hungry stomach and mind can never concentrate at work. So you must eat well and stick to a daily healthy routine to work out if possible as it will help you keep fit and healthy and concentrate well at work. Also, drink lots of water. Walk regularly to concentrate at work.
A Do Not Disturb Board
Put up a do not disturb board to help you and your office colleagues know that you are in the middle of some work and would hate to be disturbed, and meetings and conferences can wait till you finish up the task that you have undertaken.
Deal with All Emails At One Go
Handling emails pinging each second and disturbing, you will be very disturbing. All you need is to set a timer to download every 1-hour interval so you do not have to stop in the middle of something and avoid any distractions each time.
Do Not Take Up Phone Calls
Try to keep all calls aside. Tell your colleagues that you are at the office and need to concentrate on the task you take up. This will help you avoid distractions in the middle of something and start it again.
Identify the Negative Thoughts
Beware of negative thoughts. You might not even realize what your thoughts are. Even if you can’t change negative thoughts, at least you can be aware of these emotions and think whether you are justified. Positive thinking courses can help you learn more positive techniques to focus your mind and use in everyday situations.
Work on Your Stress Level
Work on your stress level by practicing YOGA activities, Aerobics, and other related stress-relieving activities to help you feel refreshed and motivated to work another Monday with a fresh mind. You might not even realize that you are thinking negatively. Start to be aware of your actions, deeds, and words. Think about what would happen if you felt more positive. Even if you can’t change every negative emotion, you can try to remove every aspect of your job life. Remember that negative work can harm work and the working environment. Thus, it’s very important to be positive at work.
When people’s minds are hovering around, they are less happy, according to the research scientist Gilbert. This is due to the inclination to negative thoughts and overstress. Mindful meditation is a treatment for depression, sexual dysfunction, etc. A hovering mind and a wandering mind are not bad or a curse. It’s great that you are so creative. You can think out of the blue. You are imaginative and creative. This thought process has created many writers, poets who can imagine things out of the blue. So keep meditating and learning more about your brain activities and focus your mind much better on one thought and one work at a time.
Take Regular 5-10 Minutes of Work
Sometimes work becomes monotonous, and our mind hovers around here and there. Concentrate on one task and take regular breaks of 5 to ten minutes to relax your brain and mind and feel healthy, revived, and motivated without a sad and distracted mind.
Stay fit, hit a gym, and get the vision to live a life, and you will feel filled with unbelievable zeal and enthusiasm to work harder each day and concentrate on all important tasks in the lot.
Do the important tasks then the less important ones –like this, keep repeating, and this will never let you get distracted or unmotivated and feel you are engaged as a happy employee.
Set Your Monthly Target
If you set the target that you want to be the next best employee of the month, then you will have a clearly defined mission and vision, you will never get distracted, and you can concentrate better and target your pre-set goals and tasks.
Remember your goals and targets, and remember that if you get distracted this way, you will not be able to go a long way –you might not even reach halfway around. Thus keep the focus on your mind and desires and see how you will be targeted at work, and you will never get distracted at work. Practice being patient. It’s being patient which counts .
Believe in yourself, and over time you can do it . You have your goals to achieve in line –then why get distracted –you’ll get delayed by downright behaviors and spelling mistakes –, which will only lead to rework and time wastage. You cannot afford to do this if you want a promotion next month or if you want to be successful in your career . Follow this positive thought process and see that you will never get distracted . You will have control over your mind and thoughts and be positive. Wake up early morning, take a walk, and enjoy life. A happy person is not a distracted person.
So keep focusing your mind, practice yoga, and meditate on your thoughts. Remember, everything is in your control, and you are the one who can make a change in your ideas and activities.